News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC-SID

Started by Bryce, 21:30, 23 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

RockRiver

Syx, I like more new YaMaha-s (expandedMSX; Arcades...) too... see *.VGM files YMs support thanks to ValleyBell.
But this is another story and much more difficult hardware expansion to develop, I think ¿? So first we go with the hardware issue SID, and then later with FM-YMs, MIDI-YMs...  8) Perhaps a parallel development is too far ?  :-\

@All: You think that SIDplayer by Geco would have support to the future CPC-SID board like Niiriki's MSX-SIDplayer ?. This has AY SIDemu player option and another realSID playing option like Simon Owen's SAMcoupé SID player. At cpcRulez they are talking about CPC Geco`s SIDplayer code sources... @Syx: You had an old SIDplayer, haven't you? Maybe these two apps could cross ways.

SyX

I don't know if new YMs are much more difficult, we have real genious here ;)

A nice thing is that a lot of them has an AY embedded, totally compatible, and you can use the extras only if you want, in other case we would have an extra AY with a more faster cpu access :)

Other great thing is there is a few music programs for compose for these chips. Only will need to convert a player to CPC and they don't take too much cpu, always a great thing for our machines. For me they always look the more sensible evolution for our CPCs :)

My old sidplayer was a conversion of the Simon Owen's player, nothing too special and nothing that Geco has not make already  :)

TFM

Quote from: Badstarr on 16:06, 08 October 11
I like it when some CPC genius finds a way to push the boundaries and make the CPC do something that was thought to be impossible. It reminds me of that line in the CPC user manual that says something along the lines of "Why is it not possible to see a man walk across the screen in the usual way...". Fast forward to 2011 and we can see full motion video on a CPC thanks to SymbOS! Someone found a way to do it!

Yes and we could do it years before already with FutureOS, but in real fullscreen and with much higher framerate. I'm talking about the first half of the 90ies 8)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Byteman

Heh, our card could be compatible with CPC and Sam-Coupe! If someone would be interested in connection of card to CPC, I'll try to do that.
BTW, now we have official homepage: http://zxbyte.ru/sid_blaster_en.htm :)
Best regards, Alexander.
Schneider CPC464 + DDI-1 + FD-1 + Vortex X-Modul + Vortex F1-X Diskdrive + Vortex SP512 + GT64
Schneider CPC664

Bryce

Holy shit, it's an entire (90%) C64 on a board! Why do you need to make it so complicated? Is it not much easier and cheaper to just interface the SID directly to the Spectrums expansion port and let the Z80 send the commands to the SID?

Bryce.

Ygdrazil

Yes, why so complicated...

Amazing achiewement though, Need to go looking for Commodore 64  :P

/ygdrazil

Quote from: Bryce on 09:35, 20 February 12
Holy shit, it's an entire (90%) C64 on a board! Why do you need to make it so complicated? Is it not much easier and cheaper to just interface the SID directly to the Spectrums expansion port and let the Z80 send the commands to the SID?

Bryce.

Byteman

Quote from: Bryce on 09:35, 20 February 12

Bryce.
The first variant was only as interfacing part (buffers + sid + clock circuit). But SID-files are complete programs for 6510 CPU, and even my 7MHz Spectrum couldn't manage with some PSID tunes, all of the RSID were not playable (because of lack of CIA emulation). And your spectrum should have available function to place RAM instead of ROM ($0000-$3FFF area). This card is only 20% of real C64, because we've implemented only interrupt part of VIC-II chip (it is only little part of IC), and what about videocircuitry itself, hardware sprites and more? The schematic is not so complicated, as it seems to be. In the final project there will be only FPGA, data buffer and four SIDs. :)
Best regards, Alexander.
Schneider CPC464 + DDI-1 + FD-1 + Vortex X-Modul + Vortex F1-X Diskdrive + Vortex SP512 + GT64
Schneider CPC664

Bryce

I was only joking about the 90%, but I still don't see the point of having so much hardware to allow 6510 code to run. Why not write Spectrum code that can read the SID data and send it directly to the IC? ie: Write a converter (for PC even) that extracts just the SID data so that a Spectrum program can play it.

Bryce.

TFM

Right!

For people who want all the extra hardware stuff it would be more easy to connect a c64 motherboard to the CPC as slave sound processor. And that's it  :P  Even loading songs would be very quick now  8)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

andycadley

It's not so much the mass of hardware that would bother me, it's the fact I'd have to go and learn 6502 assembly to actually make any use of it. A SID hooked directly to the Z80 would be considerably easier from a developer point of view.

TFM

Of course! A clean solution!
TFM of FutureSoft

zhulien

why not resurrect this project to make it Mother X4 compatible - and don't forget a jumper on it, so 2 dualSid boards can work together... it is kinda sucky when people only let you put 1... if it isn't too hard to put 2... make a Mother X4 board with 2 SIDs and Digiblaster Support (DA converter, you can make it AMDRUM compatible even) then I will buy two of them...

Bryce

It already is/was "M4 Compatible" - which actually just means putting the correct connector on the PCB. M4 isn't some magic new port, it's just a splitter. The project died because nobody wanted one.

Bryce.

zhulien

now you have 2 people who want one, the 2 of me...

Bryce

If I ever actually make some, you and your alter-ego will be first and second in the list to get them :)

Bryce.

zhulien

lol, thanks.  Actually I think it is a good idea - and hope to encourage you, although I also hope you don't make a loss on it overall.

robcfg

Do a CPC-Pokey and we'll be talking!  :P

Bryce

Quote from: robcfg on 08:37, 16 September 16
Do a CPC-Pokey and we'll be talking!  :P

Find me a cheap source for Pokey chips and I'm with you.

Bryce.

TFM

Gentleman, we do have the working PlayCity which is supported by software already. Me as genuine CPC user, I don't like c64 stuff. Atari 800XL stuff on the other hand is ok. But as told, we get the PlayCity now.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

LambdaMikel

Well, here is another iteration of this idea; just wanted to add this to this thread as well - due to partial address decoding, CPC Speak&SID is currently using &FAC0 - &FADF for now. 12 V is still an issue, but nano SwinSID only requires 5V.

https://youtu.be/zLsgOHT1fmA

I DO like the SID and C64 stuff  ;)