News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464+ and CPC6128 monitor compatibility

Started by colliefarsight, 13:06, 24 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

colliefarsight

Hello all, new cpc owner here.  I have recently brought a 464+ with monitor and it's great.  I have the opportunity of getting a 6128 (not a plus model) without a monitor and was wondering if I would be able to use my existing monitor with it?
Thanks for any help you can provide

arnoldemu

Quote from: colliefarsight on 13:06, 24 September 12
Hello all, new cpc owner here.  I have recently brought a 464+ with monitor and it's great.  I have the opportunity of getting a 6128 (not a plus model) without a monitor and was wondering if I would be able to use my existing monitor with it?
Thanks for any help you can provide
Yes and no.

Yes you can get a picture on it, with a hand-made cable which converts between them (different number of pins).
But, that monitor doesn't supply the 12v the disc drive needs.

I do use a plus monitor with all my cpcs, but I also use a pc power supply to give power to the cpc.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TotO

Except if you don't intend to use the 3" internal floppy drive, as an external 3"1/2 or HxC drive don't require the +12V power line. (only used for that)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

colliefarsight

Thanks for replying.  I may just give it a miss then as that sounds a little complicated for me lol

colliefarsight

Hang on....where would I plug the monitor in as wouldn't the monitor connect via the power point where the pc psu would go???

Gryzor

Welcome on board, mate, good to have you here :)

You actually need to operate the monitor and the PSU in parallel. You can only connect the video signal to the monitor and have the machine take power from a PSU. Nothing complicated in that...

Cheers
T