News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 DYI Video cable

Started by repetto74, 16:38, 24 October 17

Previous topic - Next topic

repetto74

Hi Guys,

Considering the best video output provided by the CPC464 (RGB?, S-video?, Composite?), I would like to know for any tutorial on how to correctly build a video cable to connect the CPC464 to a modern TV.
I have a video converter to output to HDMI any s-video or composite input. Alternatively a SCART cable is also possible if the first choice is not possible. :)
Sorry for asking, this machine is totally new for me. I picked this up at a local sale, only the CPC464 so now I have a PSU to power it but need the video cable :-)
Thanks a lot ;D
Rick

DanyPPC

I use a simple Scart RGB Cable from CoolNovelties
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

repetto74

Hi DanyPPC,

Thanks for the link :-). Is there also any tutorial on how to build this cable? I have a scart plug, DIN connector and wires + some skills to do that but I need to know exactly how to hook each pin :-)

repetto74

Hi Duke,

Thanks a million !  :D

Bryce

Regarding picture quality. Best to worst:

RGB SCART
S-Video
Composite

Bryce.

repetto74

What about the S-video cable then? Is this a scart lead or a Mini S-video DIN lead? The mini S-video is interesting for me because I can then connect it to a converter for HDMI output to a TV. :)

Bryce

The CPC doesn't produce S-Video normally. You need an adapter. I may still have one here if you need one.

Bryce.

Gryzor

...and it worked beautifully, though I haven't used it in absolute ages.

repetto74

Hi Bryce,

Thanks for the proposal. I will build the Scart RGB cable and see then for eventually switching to S-video. i'll keep in mind that RGB output is better than S-video ;-)

repetto74

I was maybe considering a SCART RGB to VGA adapter/converter if that thing exist? I have the CPC464 + a Spectrum 128K +2 which both output RGB through Scart and then other 8bit machines which signal can be sent to a PC monitor HDMI port via an S-video/Composite converter. The PC monitor has also a VGA input. What do you think?

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

repetto74

Hi Audronic,

Thanks for the link but my HDMI converter does not have a RGB Scart input but a mini S-video Din and a Composite yellow,white and red.  ::)  I will probably need that SCART --> HDMI converter extra to be used for any RGB scart outputs then :-)
I have to check anyway on the CPCWiki because I think that the RGB SCART cable for the CPC464 has a different pinout then the one for the CPC6128.

robcfg

The pinout for the classic CPC range (464, 664 and 6128) is the same.

The pinout for the Plus range (464+, 6128+ and GX4000) is different as it includes audio pins.

Bryce

Quote from: repetto74 on 17:29, 29 October 17
I was maybe considering a SCART RGB to VGA adapter/converter if that thing exist? I have the CPC464 + a Spectrum 128K +2 which both output RGB through Scart and then other 8bit machines which signal can be sent to a PC monitor HDMI port via an S-video/Composite converter. The PC monitor has also a VGA input. What do you think?

Unfortunately the RGB output of the Spectrum uses an unusual sync method and rarely works with these RGB to VGA/HDMI converters.

Bryce.

repetto74

moved to new thread