News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 tape deck sticking with some tapes

Started by Maniac, 08:57, 26 May 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Maniac

I've recently been going through my Amstrad cassettes and found a few that don't run and the tape drive stops. The tapes have been stored well and the vast majority play well. Those that don't seem to work just fine in a USB deck that I have.

I've cleaned up the heads with isopropyl alcohol as well as the capstan. I also replaced the belts using Dataserve provided belts a couple of years ago but didn't clean the drive wheels as nothing was stuck to them. Are these the most likely cause please or do I need to do something else to get these stubborn tapes to turn?

260Z

Hi Maniac  :)

Firstly I'll preface this by saying I'm a bit of a purest. Call me stupid, but I love loading all my games and software via tape / disc, and all the issues that come with this  ;D

I have a couple of suggestions that have worked for me.

As I'm sure you're probably aware, tapes have this awful habit of becoming misaligned on the reels. Have you tried the Fast forward / rewind approach?. As in numerous rewinds to realign the tape?

The other issue I have found with old tapes is that the plastic window can actually interfere. I've attached an image to illustrate. I removed it from this tape, and it works perfectly now.

Thirdly, I've actually had to dismantle some tapes and apply a very, very, very small amount of silicon grease on the reels.

The amstrad tape deck seems to be exceptionally influenced by any form of physical resistance. Weak motor maybe?

Hope these help, and good luck.

Cheers,
Rob

Maniac

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the tips. I've done the REW/FF thing a few times to no avail unfortunately. One of the tapes in question is a clear tape shell so no window to remove either I'm afraid. That particular tape has large spools of tape and turns on one side but refuses on the other. I tried loosening the shell (it's screw built tape that can be taken apart without breaking the shell) but that didn't help either.

Cheers
Maniac

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Maniac

Quote from: Audronic on 10:32, 26 May 19
@Maniac

Pause button is it stuck down ??

Ray
No afraid not. The tape starts to turn on the clear tape I mentioned until after the leader of tape clears and then stops whilst play is pressed. Pause is never touched or stuck.

260Z

Hey Maniac,

Just confirming. That by stopping, you mean the Tape drive is disengaging completely, or that the tape is simply stopping in place?. If that makes sense  :)

Cheers,
Rob

Maniac

Quote from: 260Z on 11:27, 26 May 19
Hey Maniac,

Just confirming. That by stopping, you mean the Tape drive is disengaging completely, or that the tape is simply stopping in place?. If that makes sense  :)

Cheers,
Rob
It's simply stopping in place. The play button stays depressed and auto-stop doesn't trigger. You can rewind and FF no problem despite play back being halted.

llopis

Quote from: Maniac on 11:54, 26 May 19
It's simply stopping in place. The play button stays depressed and auto-stop doesn't trigger. You can rewind and FF no problem despite play back being halted.
That's usually a sign of the small rubber belt in the cassette tape being cracked (the really small one that wraps around one of the wheels to give it some traction). The only thing that throws me off a bit is that it works for some tapes but not for others. Maybe it's borderline cracked and it's only happening in the slightly tougher tapes. Have a look at it and replace it if it looks a bit dry or cracked.

Maniac

Quote from: llopis on 17:09, 26 May 19
That's usually a sign of the small rubber belt in the cassette tape being cracked (the really small one that wraps around one of the wheels to give it some traction).
Thanks for the suggestion. Could you pinpoint where you mean please on a photo of the deck?

llopis

Quote from: Maniac on 17:11, 26 May 19
Thanks for the suggestion. Could you pinpoint where you mean please on a photo of the deck?
I'm referring to the small one here:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/a/a9/Amstrad_cpc_tape_belts.pdf

This one.

Maniac

Quote from: llopis on 18:03, 26 May 19
I'm referring to the small one here:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/a/a9/Amstrad_cpc_tape_belts.pdf

I've checked the belts again this evening and despite the slightest of kink the drive wheels on the bottom of the deck are moving just fine. As you say it looks like it's the idler tyre that is the problem. It doesn't look like it's cracked but it does look quite shiny. Given there doesn't seem to be an ample supply of replacements or any easy way of getting it on and off I think I may follow Bryce's suggestion from this thread (http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/hardware-related/my-464-has-no-cassette-motor-movement-on-play/) and rough it up with some sandpaper.

Thank you for your help. I'll report back when I have progress.

Maniac

Quote from: Maniac on 21:32, 26 May 19
I've checked the belts again this evening and despite the slightest of kink the drive wheels on the bottom of the deck are moving just fine. As you say it looks like it's the idler tyre that is the problem. It doesn't look like it's cracked but it does look quite shiny. Given there doesn't seem to be an ample supply of replacements or any easy way of getting it on and off I think I may follow Bryce's suggestion from this thread (http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/hardware-related/my-464-has-no-cassette-motor-movement-on-play/) and rough it up with some sandpaper.

Thank you for your help. I'll report back when I have progress.

So further cleaning and roughing up idler tyre hasn't particularly improved things. I may purchase a new set of belts as they're not expensive to double check it's not those. Otherwise I'm out of ideas unless somebody would be kind enough to service the deck for me?