News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 tape station misbehaving

Started by mr_lou, 20:55, 22 July 15

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Been running through A LOT of tapes the last few days, looking for lost gems (and found some!).
My CPC464 and my CPC464+ has both been running through tapes.

But now my CPC464 is beginning to misbehave. Suddenly it won't quite pull the tape as it should, resulting in "tape salad" / jam, or whatever the word is.
In short, the magnetic strip is being pulled by the head fine, but the gear to pull up the tape after the head isn't spinning enough / gets "stuck".
Since the strip is being pulled fine I'm guessing it can't be the belt.

So what do you think? My guess is I should spray some greasy something somewhere...?  :)

TFM

I could be wrong here... but I think it's a good idea to take a Q-Tip and (with some alcohol or water) press it at that black rubber wheel which (when playing) is at that thin pin (between then the tape gets pulled). So to clean that rubber wheel and make it less sticky.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Yes, the rubber pinchwheels tend to get sticky because the old tapes are probably shedding their surface on them. Clean as TFM suggested and try again.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Thanks TFM and Bryce.

Indeed, that seems to have done the trick. At least for 2 tapes so far, running fine again.  :)

mr_lou

Well crap, it wasn't quite enough.
Any other ideas?  :)

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 08:25, 23 July 15
Yes, the rubber pinchwheels tend to get sticky because the old tapes are probably shedding their surface on them. Clean as TFM suggested and try again.

Bryce.

Thanks for confirming and explaining. I did just guess and it helped me back the day.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Quote from: mr_lou on 15:06, 23 July 15
Well crap, it wasn't quite enough.
Any other ideas?  :)

Then it's probably the belt that needs to be changed.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Ok thanks. I guess I'll order one of those then, and ask one of my mates for help.

TFM

Better order a rubber wheel too, just in case cleaning was not done enough. [nb]Don't stop cleaning before the cotton tip stays completely white[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft