L

CPC464 version 3 - Power / Tape Connector Pin Compatible with old versions?

Started by LambdaMikel, 08:53, 01 October 18

Previous topic - Next topic

LambdaMikel

I have a CPC 464 Version 3, this one here:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/b/b3/CPC464_PCB_Top_%28Z70375_MC0044D%29.jpg
The tape / power connector to the board is different from the older ones, the white MOLEX pin headers

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/8/80/MC0001A-v2-components.jpg

Both have 8 pins. Even though the connector is not compatible, are otherwise electrical identical? Eg., could I use a tape drive unit from a V3 CPC 464 and put it in a V1 CPC 464, after changing the connector? I guess the answer might be yes, but I would like to be sure  ;)

Thanks
Michael

Bryce

The connector is almost compatible. The pinout is identical except for pin 6. On older versions Pin 6 was not connected, on newer versions (white molex) pin 6 is connected to the 5V (switched) rail. I don't think the tapedeck circuit ever changed, so it should be ok to connect and old tape drive. To be sure you can always check what pin 6 on the tapedeck is connected to and disconnect it if required.

Bryce.

00WReX

I did the reverse a few years back when I put together a 464 out of parts I had.

I removed the connector from the v4 board and used arduino type jumper leads, soldered to the board.
I needed the home made adapter cable anyway, as the v1 cassette cable is too short for the new board.
This way the connector is in the middle of the cable if I need to separate them.

Here is a crappy picture I took at the time...

Cheers,
Shane

[attach=1,msg165535]
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

LambdaMikel

Thanks Shane. It also worked the other way around for me  :) I just connected all 8 pins, 1 by 1, no problem with pin 6.

What was problematic though was that I didn't hear anything from the cassette (only audio from the CPC)...  at first I thought I had swapped data in and data out somehow, or there actually was an incompatibility. Until i looked more closely at the read / write cassette head.... some heavy dirt had covered it partially, and after I cleaned it with alcohol, it looked like this underneath, as if it had corroded or been sanded off or something. Very odd. Then I was glad I didn't gave away the "tape drive from hell"

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/freebie-the-tape-drive-from-hell/
and I actually used the head from there. Now I hear something from the tape whilst loading, and it works  :) Never saw a tape read write head in such a bad condition before. The previous owner must have loaded sandpaper tapes or something - maybe caused by one of these cleaning tapes one used to have back then? Who knows. 

This is the bad tape head showing the corrosion:

LambdaMikel

Quote from: 00WReX on 01:13, 02 October 18
Here is a crappy picture I took at the time...
It is always such a shame how much empty space there is in these newer CPC versions...  :o

Gryzor

LambdaMikel

Memory expansion, M4, HDMI converter, DDI-3, ...  ;D

ok, let's get serious: TV, MP3, beer can cooler, ...

Gryzor

Oh, got it. I thought you were saying it was a shame for Amstrad to have left so much space.