News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC6128: from AZERTY to QWERTY Italian (dirty&quick way)

Started by aotta, 14:35, 26 May 17

Previous topic - Next topic

aotta

Hi all,
A little tips for you all, since i've not found other previous post about this kind of solution for the azerty keyboard.

i finished my 6128 reborning project, after recostructing some tracks from bank 0 ICs, changing the CRTc, mounting a Gotek HXC with 16x02 display and.... modding the original AZERTY french keyboard to an italian qwerty like keyboards, so to avoid typing everytime "cwt" for getting directory list... :)

I simply inverted the Q/A and Z/W asci code (both for minus and capital) in the BIOS of 6128 where decoding the keyboard (offset 1f00). Then, switched the fisical keys.... The layout is still the french one, but more more friendly for me! ;)

freemac

aotta

yes!  :D  but it remind me old olivetti typewriter i used at school... good qzerty italian layout!  ;)

Bignumbas

Can you share where you got the info to do this please.
I have a french keyboard and would like to change just the letters back to qwerty.
I speak a little french and worked on french pc's and don't mind the numbers access with the shift key but the qwerty layout is a must have for us anglophiles.
The cutting edge of technology is covered in blood!

aotta

Modding the firmware for the eprom is easier than you can imagine.. But you had to replace the original rom with an eprom before, desoldering the 32k chip and mounting a 28 dip socket insted. Then change with an hex editor the letters you want (keyboard layout in 6128 rom is at offset 1f00), burn it on a 27c256 and put it as rom. You can find any info on this wiki for it. Et voilà!

Fabrizio Radica

Quote from: aotta on 14:35, 26 May 17
Hi all,
A little tips for you all, since i've not found other previous post about this kind of solution for the azerty keyboard.

i finished my 6128 reborning project, after recostructing some tracks from bank 0 ICs, changing the CRTc, mounting a Gotek HXC with 16x02 display and.... modding the original AZERTY french keyboard to an italian qwerty like keyboards, so to avoid typing everytime "cwt" for getting directory list... :)

I simply inverted the Q/A and Z/W asci code (both for minus and capital) in the BIOS of 6128 where decoding the keyboard (offset 1f00). Then, switched the fisical keys.... The layout is still the french one, but more more friendly for me! ;)

Ciao!
Sono italiano ed ho la stessa tua configurazione, mi piacerebbe apportare la stessa modifica.
Te ne sarei molto grato.
Sto sviluppando giochi sul 6128 e con l'Azerty è un macello :)

Hi!
I'm italian and i've an Azerty Keyboard like you.
Can you explain me how to?

Grazie!

ZbyniuR

In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.