News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC664 on ebay right now!!

Started by khisanth, 22:04, 05 April 11

Previous topic - Next topic

khisanth

First 664 I have seen on ebay in reasonable condition as far as i can see

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amstrad-CPC664-/260763597134?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item3cb6b8b94e#ht_506wt_1134

pick up from Richmond only. I can pick it up from there if anyone not in the area wants to bid for as its my hometown!

40 quid start price 0 bids so far.

Devilmarkus

Poor: 40gbp for only the CPC!
No monitor included and the keyboard looks bad and is broken, too.
Also not sure if the floppy works.

Really: a starting bid of 1gbp would be enough for it.

If someone pays me 40gbp + postage, I'll send him my 664 also without monitor but with working keys and floppy (German Schneider CPC 664)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

khisanth

probably why he is selling it, play on the rarity etc

Gryzor

yeah... I'd consider buying it and trying to fix it, but not at £40+... :(

Bryce

There's been a few 664s on the German iiiibay over the last few months, and I don't think any of them got up to €40.

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

Right!
The only difference is that they are labelled "Schneider" and have no blue keys.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:35, 06 April 11
yeah... I'd consider buying it and trying to fix it, but not at £40+... :(
cleaning the keyboard is also not so easy with these.
for a start the membrane seems to be locked into the pcb (some special connectors).
If you try to prise the top off the keys you end up bending them or cutting them (the plastic is a bit more softer it seems).
so your only hope is that there is a bad connection between the pcb and the 74ls245 or AY that you can fix.

Believe me, I've opened my 664 and tried, thank god it's keyboard works ok.

EDIT: Of course the price is higher because there were not made for long (we all know the cpc6128 was sold only a year or so later).
EDIT2: I am planning to make a program that can be used to test the keyboard, it will show the state of the keys and you can use it to press and test the keys are working, much easier to see results than using basic.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

@Markus: why would you want to buy a 664 with no blue keys anyway? Boring Germans... :D

@Arnoldemu: actually, according to CPCWiki, "the 664 did have a very short life and was soon replaced by the 6128 (according to Amstrad Action, Issue 1, Oct 1985, page 8, the 664 was produced only from May until August 1985)." While it does sound a bit too short to me, it was certainly not a year or so. As I had read in an AA, Sugar had actually mentioned the 6128 even when the 664 was rolling out the factory's gates... should have given some hint to everybody :D

MacDeath

I personnally see no points in having a CPC664.

Ok it's cute and rare and so on...

Yet :
-Poor keyboard quality (often broken).
-not the proper RAM setting to me (64 only ?)
-casing bigger than the elegant and compact 6128...(I have no spare space in my room).

The only classy thing ?
the blue keys...

I wish I could get some of my 6128's keys with such an elegant bright Cyan.

Also, well... it is actually a "fixed" 464... this means get rid of those scrappy tapes and get a good 3" disk drive...

khisanth

Well I want one for two reasons. 1 because of the rarity and 2 because it would one step to completing my CPC collection. Just need a 6128+ also  :)

Ynot.zer0

and as usual, another appears:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Very-Rare-AMSTRAD-CPC664-Good-Cond-Fully-tested-/320683717117?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item4aaa3d31fd#ht_1051wt_1120

although, this one looks to be on sale by someone who knows what they are doing.  all keys work (shown tested), etc...etc..

£99 is a bit 'rich'... but, it could be a good investment for a 664 that 'should' be in working order.  If I didn't have 2 already - I'd bid for it  ;D

Gryzor

I have a 664 and a Schneider 664, but even if I didn't I don't think I'd be *starting* at £99 - and no monitor!!!

I also like the bit where he says "a professional job was done, I have 20 years experience successfully repairing drives." Wow, I didn't know I'm a professional myself... I should probably write, in my tax form, "CPC drive belt changer" :D

MacDeath

steve

You see so many CPC's on ebay being sold without the monitor that it might sell just to get the monitor alone, I think most monitors are being sent to landfill sites just because the owners do not want to send them through the post.

steve

I have a 664 with faulty keyboard, I want £1000 for it, any takers? :P

EgoTrip

Quote from: steve on 10:19, 11 April 11

Wow 1K? I'll offer you 2 (p)

Devilmarkus

Quote from: steve on 10:19, 11 April 11

I have a 6128 without keyboard and drive! Who wants it?
(You don't need the keyboard because no drive!)
Extra-forum-price: £6999

MacDeath

Only if the drive belt is broken... :P

Ynot.zer0

okay... so who bid on it?   :o

Gryzor

Quote from: ynot.zer0 on 21:59, 11 April 11
okay... so who bid on it?   :o

*TWO* bids? Oh my, I've been sitting on a treasure...

OCT

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:07, 06 April 11
@Markus: why would you want to buy a 664 with no blue keys anyway? Boring Germans... :D
Quote from: MacDeath on 14:29, 06 April 11
I personnally see no points in having a CPC664.

Ok it's cute and rare and so on...

Yet :
-Poor keyboard quality (often broken). [...]
-casing bigger than the elegant and compact 6128
And yet the 664's keyboard arguably does have the best layout of the entire CPC line:
While the casing was way too high, the huge cursor keys with COPY as the center "fire" button made menu navigation a breeze and were more intuitive to use even than anything found on PCs today, at a time when every peripherial (including a joystick) meant major expenditure for the target audience.

awergh

I'd hate to see how much someone would try to sell a 664 on ebay AU. Afterall it has produce another 6128 at $300
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-Amstrad-CPC6128-Computer-/290555646317?pt=AU_Computers_Vintage&hash=item43a677516d

Somehow I don't think ebay AU would be a place for me to ever find a 6128, good thing I decided the hard way of getting a DDI and stuff for a 464 was easier.

Gryzor

Speaking of drives, I got me a boxed drive and interface for 30 euros... :)

Cholo

One of the few advantages about being in a small country is that you dont have a local ebay so "normal" people dont know what things are worth outside of the country. Only 2 months ago i picked up a local auction for 350 Dkr (£40-ish) with a 664 keyboard (1 key missing and needed new drive belt) + 2x Megadrive v2 consoles (+cables/power/joypads)+5 boxed MD games+2 amiga games + Amiga psu + Atari 2600 console (with everything and 1 game.. yet untested tho).

Sadly that is "advantage" usually means everything else gets overpriced.

Gryzor

Yeah... the times I've seen 464s going for a €300 asking price in the Greek market... :6