News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC664 Retro Pr0n

Started by Bryce, 20:54, 26 July 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi All,
     picked this up last week and I thought I'd share some retro Pr0n pics with you. It's my very first 664 :)
I didn't need to do any cleaning, this is the state it arrived in. It works fine, but the membrane is dead (as expected). Someone in the past did some fancy fixes to the membrane, but they've failed again and I couldn't be bothered trying to keep the connections alive forever, so I ordered a new membrane from rwap :)

Enjoy,
Bryce.

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

[attach=5]

[attach=6]

[attach=7]

[attach=8]

TFM

That good ole 664 has a lot of space for internal expansions  8)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

beaker

Need more tissues  :o Looks like the last owner took great care of it.

Bryce

I won't be modding this 664. It will stay in it's original perfection (plus a new membrane) :)

Bryce.

Joss

It looks great! Congratulations!  :)

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 22:15, 26 July 13
I won't be modding this 664. It will stay in it's original perfection (plus a new membrane) :)

Of course not  :)  That one is like new  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

redbox

Looks very nice.

Is it CRTC type 2? My Schneider 664 is.

TFM

Got two Schneider 664 with CRTC 0 (Lucky me).
TFM of FutureSoft

redbox

Yes, CRTC 0 is nice but a Schneider 664 with CRTC 2 is *much* rarer...!

TFM

So what? CRTC 2 is crap, all good demos use CRTC 0 features, and in later years also more and more CRTC 1 features. The 2 just suxx. I pleasantly leave all rare stuff to the ebay people.  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Gotta love that retro-future case/cover... if only I had one... =)

Bryce

It has the Hitachi CRTC 0. The dust cover is hard plexi-glass in smoked brown for the ultimate in retro-ness :)

Bryce.

Lazy Dude

how come the membrane is dead "as expected" ?

Bryce

The 664 membranes were very bad quality, the tracks tended to corrode and lose conductivity. So if you get a 664 these days there's about an 80% chance that some keys don't work. You can see in the last picture above, that the previous owner did some extensive repairs to the membrane (there are other repairs on the membrane too that I didn't take pictures of), but alas new areas of the membrane have started to fail too and I couldn't be bothered chasing faults every time I turn it on.
Luckily, our good friend RWAP had some modern replacements manufactured and one of these is on its way to me :)

Bryce.

Lazy Dude

surprised there are people out there that will run you up a new one. I'll just keep quiet about cleaning mine with the WD40 after spending 20 years in a damp cellar, guess the 6128 was made unbreakable!

Gryzor

Well, it's so common thankfully a kind soul got to making them :) See here: New CPC664 membranes available!

Bryce

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 15:07, 30 July 13
surprised there are people out there that will run you up a new one. I'll just keep quiet about cleaning mine with the WD40 after spending 20 years in a damp cellar, guess the 6128 was made unbreakable!

The problem was only with the 664, hence the need for a new batch just for this version. The 464 and 6128 membranes seem to be very sturdy and I've rarely heard of one failing. Using WD40 on any electronics or a membrane is a really bad idea.

Bryce.

TFM

Maybe... but my two 664 still have original membranes and work just fine - every single key - I'm using WD40 too.
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

The Membrane has arrived and will be installed at the weekend. Thanks RWAP, it looks really well made and was packed properly for the trip.

Quote from: TFM on 21:30, 30 July 13
Maybe... but my two 664 still have original membranes and work just fine - every single key - I'm using WD40 too.
When was the last time you tested them?

Bryce.

radu14m

@TFM: i try to send you a message but it's not working.
I want to buy one of your CPC664. Do you sell it ?

TFM

Quote from: radu14m on 10:06, 10 August 13
@TFM: i try to send you a message but it's not working.
I want to buy one of your CPC664. Do you sell it ?

They are in Munich, and I'm in the states. I'll be back in Spring. Then I have time to check them. I will let you know then. Sorry for the offtopic.
TFM of FutureSoft

radu14m

thanks TFM. Please Keep me informed. sorry for the offtopic.

Bryce

So, the membrane got installed at the weekend, my 664 is now fully working :)

Bryce.

redbox

Quote from: Bryce on 11:58, 12 August 13
So, the membrane got installed at the weekend, my 664 is now fully working :)

Was it easy?  Any hiccups or gotchas to report...?

Bryce

The membrane is pretty much an exact copy of the original, so all the holes / shapes etc are in the right place. So you just remove the old, insert the new. However, the foil doesn't have any additional thickness / support at the end that goes into the connector, so you need to be very careful when inserting it. I managed to bend one of the corners while inserting the membrane and the track pealed slightly at the end, so I had to cut off the last 1mm to get it to connect properly after that. But after re-insertion it worked fine.

Bryce.