News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CTM 644 vs CRT TV

Started by ced64k, 12:00, 10 September 17

Previous topic - Next topic

ced64k

To save space I'm thinking about keeping only my 2001 21" Philips CRT TV for retrogaming.

I was wondering about the image quality vs an Amstrad CTM 644. Is it worth it to buy a scart rgb cable and power supply ? What do you think ?

||C|-|E||

Well, the Philips is going to be probably better in terms of image quality. It happens that the CTM 644 is nothing special, mostly a cheap color TV with RGB input and no tuner. I like to repair, keep and use original Amstrad monitors, but it is for nostalgic reasons...

roudoudou

CTM644 does not have distortions like TV-CRT, especially like Philipps, Sharp and even Sony
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

||C|-|E||

CTM644s have purity problems, shadowing, are very sensitive to magnetic fields...  :) Distorsion is not heavy, although I have seen it too. Don´t get me wrong, I like them, but they are far from being really good displays. However, I must admit that they are quite robust  :)

tjohnson

I would have though it would be worth a try see what the picture quality is like and decide if you want to stick with the Philips.

ced64k

I received the din to scart cable today. I have strange black pixels moving on top of the screen. The cpc is powered with the CTM644, I'm waiting for external psu. This tv is working nicely with other RGB game consoles. Any idea ?

Bryce

How long is the cable? And have you cleaned the monitor socket pins lately?

Bryce.

ced64k

The cable is only one meter long.

I noticied there is no problem at beginning. After 1-2 minutes the blacks pixels appears and take more and more place on the screen.

Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J3NXHWwYTs

Bryce

And you're 100% sure that other retro computers/consoles connected via SCART don't exhibit this? That looks to be a problem with the TV, not the cable.

Bryce.

ced64k

Yes, Megadrive RGB for example:

Bryce

Does the cable have any components in the SCART connector? How is it wired?

Bryce.

ced64k

Here it is :)

It's a cable from ikonsgr74 on eBay.

mr_lou

I would also say that a CRT TV generally gives a better picture than the CTM644. But not all.
I tried a lot of different TV's before finding one I was satisfied with, and it was a Philips.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: roudoudou on 16:30, 10 September 17
CTM644 does not have distortions like TV-CRT, especially like Philipps, Sharp and even Sony

They do have distortions in line with cheap portables of the period. You don't tend to see the worst of it as these problems usually occur on the edges and the CPC has a border. Screening isn't great either so if a magnetic field gets anywhere near them you can end up with permanent distortion.

A CTM monitor is just a cheap TV tube in a custom box with RGB input. Nothing special. Even on the CPC's release the press noted that the colour monitor struggled in 80 column mode and that was just from seeing the machine at the launch!

Got an Acorn CRT here (rebadged Phillips) of roughly the same vintage (1989) as many CTM's. Whole different beast. Just better in every single way.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

ced64k

Weird update:

I get a perfect image with this switch  between the tv and the cpc :

But only if the Megadrive is also plugged to the switch and... power on  :o

If I unplug the Medadrive the image become b/w, same effect as if I didn't push the RGB button on the switch.

It's stange because if I remember there is no electronics in this switch.

Bryce

Sounds like you have a floating ground. Can you solder?

We can try something out, but first check whether the brown wire is properly soldered at both ends.

Bryce.

ced64k

Quote from: Bryce on 07:29, 05 October 17
Can you solder?
I managed to solder a GPIO header on a Raspberry Pi Zero and against all expectations it works, so I will say yes  :D :D