News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Custom arcade stick wiring

Started by trabitboy, 12:25, 16 November 14

Previous topic - Next topic

trabitboy

Before sending my machine for repair to Bryce , I wired my custom arcade stick to a db9 for cpc use,  using the wiring found on the wiki.

However a short time after,  I learnt in a raspberry electronics tutorial that to read a switch you need a pull up or pull down resistor.

I was wondering if it was safe to connect switches directly to the cpc joystick port ? ( an arcade stick control is just a switch)

I have been quite surprised to see how much better the latest home brews play with a top notch stick, as well as the classics.
Nice Sunday to all btw ;^)

pelrun

It's 100% safe to connect a switch to the CPC joystick port; that is exactly how it is designed to be used.

The switch inputs already have pullups, and the CPC toggles COM1 and COM2 low in sequence to determine which switches are set for each of the 1P and 2P sticks.

As far as the Pi (and other modern microcontroller GPIO pins) goes, usually they have a software-configurable internal pullup or pulldown resistor, removing the need for external ones. No damage will result from putting a switch on a pin without a (physical or logical) pullup, except that the switch won't work properly.

trabitboy

Quote from: pelrun on 13:49, 16 November 14
The switch inputs already have pullups, and the CPC toggles COM1 and COM2 low in sequence to determine which switches are set for each of the 1P and 2P sticks.

Exactly the question I was asking me thank you [emoji1]