News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DCP Microdevelopments Interpack 1 - Mini Review

Started by Bryce, 14:56, 08 September 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi all,
    @ComSoft6128 sent me this gem of a CPC Home Automation solution from DCP MicroDevelopments to check out and review, so here it is. It's a relatively small box 120x80x35mm with connectors on all sides. On one end it has the connection to the computer, the other end offers a "DCP Bus" which allows some sort of daisy chaining of further devices. This device offers 8 buffered digital inputs, 8 buffered digital outputs (low current signal outputs), 4 relay driven outputs for higher current or alternative voltage switching, 4 switch inputs (potential free contacts) and 8 Analogue inputs (0 to 5V).

Inside is an irregular shaped PCB packed to the edges with thru-hole components. The device is non-smart ie: no processing power inside. The main components are an ADC0809 Analogue to digital converter (socketed) with its own voltage reference (that silver can beside it) and four miniature relays. The remainder are standard TTL chips, a few transistors for driving the relays, some diodes (relay crowbars) and a single electrolytic capacitor. The digital inputs and outputs are connected via standard 2.54mm female header connectors, while all other connections are via 2mm banana sockets (colour coded).

The device takes its power from the CPC, so no additional PSU is required. The unusual PCB shape is to allow the adapter board to fit inside. This board comes attached to the flat cable and is obviously to allow the device to be used with several different 8-bit computers. The CPC board contains just two TTL ICs (74LS93 and 74LS139) for address decoding.

That's about all there is to say about this device so far. I don't have any software to test it with, nor do I know what addresses it decodes to. If anyone wants/needs more information, then just ask. I considered reverse engineering it, but that would require me to remove chips from the board and as it's fully working and in original condition, I would prefer not to do this.

Enjoy the pictures,

Bryce.

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

LambdaMikel

Way to go - why use a Raspberry Pi or Arduino if you can take a CPC for home automation  :)

dionisisg

i believe the software was meant to be custom on this device, i'd love to see it in action. I have seen in action similar devices for ancient pc's (8088 / 8086) that utilize the X10 protocol for a complete bus system.

LambdaMikel

Right, Bryce, please make something cool with it  8)

Bryce

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 18:53, 15 September 18
Right, Bryce, please make something cool with it  8)

It's already on its way back to ComSoft6128, so I won't be making anything out of it.

Regarding software, the handbook only gave examples in BASIC of how to use it, so I assume the user had to create the software themselves. There were no tapes or disks with it. On top of that, the handbook is generic for all systems, and the ports are just referred to as A,B,C and D throughout. At the beginning of the handbook there's a page to tell you what addresses the ports are mapped to which the company would have filled out manually (ie: with a pen), but these weren't filled out, so the mystery remains.

Bryce.