News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DDI-1 CLONE ver. 2.0 ready

Started by Piotr, 14:00, 15 September 14

Previous topic - Next topic

gerald

Smaller is better, but the main default of the DDI1 is sill there : the expansion port is blocked.

Why don't you use an IDC connector instead of the edge one. With an 90 deg IDC connector, your DDI1 clone would be M4X compatible, allowing the 464 owner to use more than the DDI1  ;)

Piotr

Is no way to replace black edge slot to IDC and connect it straight to m4x. On my board signals is normal, on m4x on expansion slots signals is reversed. Anyway i do small adapter to link it .

Munchausen

Oh no, if I had known you would make it smaller I would have waited!

TotO

Quote from: Piotr on 14:50, 15 September 14Is no way to replace black edge slot to IDC and connect it straight to m4x. On my board signals is normal, on m4x on expansion slots signals is reversed. Anyway i do small adapter to link it .
The signal had been not reversed if you have designed your board with a right angled MX4 connectors  instead of the EDGE one. 

By the way, you done a great job. Congratulation!!! :)
I hope that a V3.0 will be MX4 formatted, because around 50 peoples had already bought the MotherX4 for their CPC 464.
If yes, I will be proud to put it on centpourcent.net !

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Piotr

Toto, ok im reversed ;) I know about people using m4x and i try be compatibile  ;D
Well, i prefer my eightbitclone.com , aviable soon.

radu14m

great work !

Would this interface run on a cpc664/6128 too ? and will allow to add more disc drives ?

Bryce

Quote from: radu14m on 18:23, 15 September 14
great work !

Would this interface run on a cpc664/6128 too ? and will allow to add more disc drives ?

No, this would clash with the internal FDC if you connected it to a 664/6128 and cause all sorts of wierd stuff.

Bryce.

radu14m

right, i was afraid of this :)
But what would be needed to have 2 FDC controllers in a cpc ? or it"s not possible at all ?

Bryce

Quote from: radu14m on 19:00, 15 September 14
right, i was afraid of this :)
But what would be needed to have 2 FDC controllers in a cpc ? or it"s not possible at all ?

The FDC would need to be mapped differently and AmsDOS would need to be patched. Much easier to just expand the existing FDC to 4 drives as it was designed to be.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 19:10, 15 September 14
The FDC would need to be mapped differently and AmsDOS would need to be patched. Much easier to just expand the existing FDC to 4 drives as it was designed to be.

Bryce.

I see some new requests for hardware mods and ParaDOS Features LOL
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Quote from: radu14m on 19:00, 15 September 14

Bryce already quoted on that, but I have to give my statement too.

A 2nd FDC is a great idea - especially since it is already supported by different D(OS).
The only thing you have to do is so change the both I/O addresses of the internal FDC from &FB7E/F to the right ports of the external FDC, that is: &FBF6/7.
This 2 FDC solution is already supported by the great V-DOS 2.11 an also by FutureOS (drives A-H).

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

If you made a second FDC board, please use a WD chip that support the write track feature.
With that, you can backup and write protected floppies from the CPC itself.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

There are FDC765 compatible FDC's which have enhanced features. So the old software will be good.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

gerald

Quote from: TFM on 20:14, 15 September 14
There are FDC765 compatible FDC's which have enhanced features. So the old software will be good.
But most of the old good software only run from the 1st drive on original Amstrad controller (ie Amsdos drive A)  :P

TFM

Quote from: gerald on 20:29, 15 September 14
But most of the old good software only run from the 1st drive on original Amstrad controller (ie Amsdos drive A)  :-X

You completely miss the point. It's about staying compatible to exact that kind of software you mentioned and in addition being able to write back specially protected tracks from DSK or HFE files f.e.  8)
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

The easiest way to do it wouldn't require removing the FDC. The interface could be a small PCB with two new 34way headers, a 74LS139 and a capaictor. It would be plugged directly onto the end of the internal drive cable and would need three additional connections - 5V, US0 (FDC Pin 29) and US1 (FDC Pin 28). Probably the neatest way of doing it.

Bryce.

twox

Przyjedziesz kiedyś do Polski, by tu posprzedawać? Chętnie kupię, bo chyba trafiłem na dobry trop do naprawy mojego CPC, a na mojej kasecie mało gier jest...

Bryce

Quote from: twox on 21:58, 15 September 14
Sorry for my bad English.

:D I think you'll find that was Polish :)

Anyway, here's my idea as a PCB. The 26way header is where the internal cable plugs. There's a 3way header beside it for US0/US1/5V. The 34way connectors can take 2 drives each. The drives will need to be set to DS0/DS1 per header. An ABBA and/or a CDDC switch could easily be added too if required. The dimensions are in millimetres. JP2 is A and B, JP3 is C and D.

Bryce.

SyX

Quote from: gerald on 20:29, 15 September 14
But most of the old good software only run from the 1st drive on original Amstrad controller (ie Amsdos drive A)  :P
At least, they are so good that you have been forced to patch them for being played from a B drive in a few ROMDOS floppies :P

Munchausen

Quote from: Bryce on 22:46, 15 September 14
:D I think you'll find that was Polish :)

Anyway, here's my idea as a PCB. The 26way header is where the internal cable plugs. There's a 3way header beside it for US0/US1/5V. The 34way connectors can take 2 drives each. The drives will need to be set to DS0/DS1 per header. An ABBA and/or a CDDC switch could easily be added too if required. The dimensions are in millimetres. JP2 is A and B, JP3 is C and D.

Bryce.

It's nice, but with this you can't use the external drive connector, wouldn't it be better to patch that and have a 3 way adapter externally (with the fourth drive fixed to the internal drive)?

BTW, I thought the DDI-1 had different addresses to the 664/6128 FDD, so that you could use it with them and not just the 464? Or am I think of some other disk controller? Does the clone use the 664/6128 addresses?

Bryce

The aim of my solution was to cause as little damage to the original mainboard as possible and make the installation as simple as possible. Your idea is good, but means lots of track-cutting and removing/replacing parts on the board. My solution means just three wire connections to the PCB and no permanent editing of the board.

The DDI-1 is identical to the 664/6128 schematic, just on a seperate PCB. They aren't addressed any differently and would definitely clash.
I assume the clone also uses the same addresses, otherwise it couldn't use the standard AmsDOS.

Bryce.

Piotr

Yop Bryce is just copy, some refreshed.

Anyway i assembed all boards and  interface is for sale on sell my retro.  Amstrad DDI-1 clone ver 2.0

TFM

Hi Piotr,

Since we already had this discussion coming up about a 2nd FDC.

Could you make an FDC board with the Vortex I/O addresses? And maybe using all four DS signals, so one can add four floppy drives.

It would be easy you just have to change the two I/O addresses of your DDI-1 V2.0.

TFM of FutureSoft

radu14m

Quote from: TFM on 19:34, 17 September 14
Hi Piotr,

Since we already had this discussion coming up about a 2nd FDC.

Could you make an FDC board with the Vortex I/O addresses? And maybe using all four DS signals, so one can add four floppy drives.

It would be easy you just have to change the two I/O addresses of your DDI-1 V2.0.

that would be great :)