News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DDI3 USB Floppy Emulator for the Amstrad CPC 464 BIG Review!

Started by Neil79, 02:19, 12 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil79

QuoteWhen Indie Retro News began its life some years ago, most of our hardware reviews have either been for the C64 or specific Everdrives for retro based consoles such as the Sega Mega Drive and NES. However we have never done a review of anything for the Amstrad CPC 464 or 6128 because at the time there were no new external SD attachments specific for that hardware, at least until now. This is the 'DDI3 USB Floppy Emulator for the Amstrad CPC 464' by a rather talented designer by the name of Zaxon also known as Piotr Bugaj, who has created some impressive pieces of kit for systems such as this Amstrad and even the ZX Spectrum!

Indie Retro News: DDI3 USB Floppy Emulator for the Amstrad CPC 464 BIG Review!
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

dodogildo

Nice and fair review.
IMHO that's a great piece of hardware connecting 464 owners to the 21th century in a very affordable way. Of course it's haunted with Zaxon's signature 'no documentation' attitude. But who cares! Piotr is a very talented individual. Thanks, and keep it up!
M'enfin!

alex76gr

DDI3 should be a must have choice for all 464 owners.
The lack of documentation is something that can easily be fixed.
I still believe that i got my myopia from the green GT-65 monitor, but i can't prove it! :)

Audronic

@alex76

I have one of the DDi-3 i would like to know where the Docs are Please ??

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Quote from: Audronic on 11:40, 13 February 16
@alex76

I have one of the DDi-3 i would like to know where the Docs are Please ??

Thanks   Ray

Good luck with that! Piotr is online often, but he ignores all questions and gives zero support.
As to his talent, I haven't seen anything designed from him yet. All his hardware is copy / paste from other people's design or datasheet examples and even then he manages to mess things up.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 12:37, 13 February 16
Good luck with that! Piotr is online often, but he ignores all questions and gives zero support.
As to his talent, I haven't seen anything designed from him yet. All his hardware is copy / paste from other people's design or datasheet examples and even then he manages to mess things up.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2.
Ouch!
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Neil79

Cheers for the feedback !

If anyone else has any Amstrad products for review, do send me a pm! :)
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

dodogildo

What about a review of C4CPC? As it's a modern and beloved Amstrad hardware and a creative project (I hope,  to the Bryce's standarts)  not a 'copy and paste'
M'enfin!

dragon

Quote from: alex76gr on 09:37, 13 February 16
DDI3 should be a must have choice for all 464 owners.
The lack of documentation is something that can easily be fixed.

I think is a good product, but not a must have. A must have need +64k expansion with the ddi.

Dizrythmia

I saw on one of the Facebook groups that Piotr is reverse engineering the 64k expansion, so maybe something like that will happen in the future.

TotO

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 02:43, 14 February 16I saw on one of the Facebook groups that Piotr is reverse engineering the 64k expansion
It was already done some years ago...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

reidrac

Sounds quite interesting for the 646 without floppy disk controller or extra ROMS.

It's a pity is not better supported by Piotr because is a very nice piece of kit.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TotO

It took less space on the PCB to embedd the X-MEM design than reproducing the DK'RAM expansion.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 12:37, 13 February 16

|HELP,<ROM No>

??
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

dragon

Quote from: TotO on 10:53, 14 February 16
It took less space on the PCB to embedd the X-MEM design than reproducing the DK'RAM expansion.

Yeah, this can be must have x-mem with optional ddi embedd. :)

TotO

Quote from: dragon on 13:01, 14 February 16this can be must have x-mem with optional ddi embedd. :)
Some years ago, I have started to work about a DDI-1 replacement PCB featuring FDC controller and ROM/RAM expansion.

dragon

Sounds very good ,And you have plans to finish it ?. Or is a project in standby?. :)

TotO

Standby, as I have not find the good edge slot to acheive it.

Bryce

Quote from: dodogildo on 23:51, 13 February 16
What about a review of C4CPC? As it's a modern and beloved Amstrad hardware and a creative project (I hope,  to the Bryce's standarts)  not a 'copy and paste'

The C4CPC is a fantastic piece of hardware, well designed, well layed out and an original design. There's not a single aspect of it that I could say something negative about.

Bryce.

bjt

DDI-3 looks great. Would definitely get one if I didn't already have a DDI-1 + HxC Gotek. Just needs the X-Mem adding to be the ultimate 464 expansion.

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 21:49, 14 February 16
The C4CPC is a fantastic piece of hardware, well designed, well layed out and an original design. There's not a single aspect of it that I could say something negative about.
Exactly. It is a great hard/soft combo for PLUS users.

Neil79

Quote from: dodogildo on 23:51, 13 February 16

I've asked that before, we was told no basically. As it would overwhelm the person creating the C4CPC and didn't want the mass publicity

TFM

Quote from: Neil79 on 13:52, 16 February 16

I've asked that before, we was told no basically. As it would overwhelm the person creating the C4CPC and didn't want the mass publicity

Well, in this case the schemes and software should be made available to the public!

What does @gerald think about that?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

gerald

Quote from: TFM on 19:05, 16 February 16

Well, in this case the schemes and software should be made available to the public!

What does @gerald think about that?
They will be once I will stop making them.

AxelStone