News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Disk reading issue

Started by protek, 12:50, 19 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

protek

Not sure whether this falls under hardware or software but since it's a disk failed to be read, let's put it here.

I wrote a few dsk images from a pc foramtted floppy to 3" disks using WriteDSK. When I try to run the program the screen just goes blank and the program doesn't start.

I have the same program written on 3,5" disk with CPCDiskXP and that runs fine. Also my 3" drive works as it runs my other disks just fine. Did I just have a bad disk or what?

TFM

Make a direct copy from your working 3.5" disc to a 3" disc using a good copy tool like Discology. The will tell you something.

If the 3.5" has no copy protection and is just standard format, then better use a regular copy tool, DiscKit3 for example.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

protek

Well, at least I could get Discology successfully transferred with WriteDSK and am copying disks with it even as I write this.

And it succeeded! I have now Batman Forever on 3" disks!  :D

protek

I also tried the WriteDSK to transfer a +3 disk image on 3" disk. At least it wrote it  but haven't tried if my +3 can read it.

protek

Well turns out that the +3 froze, when trying to read the floppy written in CPC. Both use CP/M compatible file system but the XDPB is written in different parameters in +3 and CPC, and WriteDSK probably specifies the disk to be CPC format, when writing the image. +3 does give you directory listing with cat but that's about it.

WriteDSK appears to be a Basic program. Maybe I should try porting the program to +3 or just make a version that specifies the XDPB to be of +3 type.

Gryzor

That's an interesting issue... (sorry, no answer though!)