News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DK Tronics 464-64k-10/90

Started by Audronic, 06:41, 10 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

DK Tronics 464-64k-10/90

A short time ago I acquired this from N.Z.
I thought I might like to update it to 256K.
BUT it is later model SMD .
Here are the Photos do what you want with them.

Ray 10 November 2015

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7ef40rz7n9h1ow/DK%20Tronics%20464%2064K%20Memory%2010%3A90%20.zip?dl=0

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Gryzor

Ooh, this looks like it's never been used!

Bryce

Obviously not as easy as the thru-pin version, but I'm sure there could be some solution to upgrade this to 256K with some chip swapping and maybe some piggy-backing?

Bryce.

Kris

1st time I see this version, I was not even aware about CMS version for this RAM extension. Nice piece of hardware.

TFM

Nice piece of hardware. I would rather leave it like it is (and save it!) and get an X-MEM instead of piggy-cracking / destroying an original for only small 256 KB of RAM (which is only small 188 KB free in an RAM disc anyway). Save it and be proud to have it. It may be the only one left.  :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 14:34, 10 November 15
Obviously not as easy as the thru-pin version, but I'm sure there could be some solution to upgrade this to 256K with some chip swapping and maybe some piggy-backing?
Should be better to keep it intact... It is not so hard to exchange it for an older version.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

They're not as rare as you think. I have come across them quite often and several other members here own one too. It's a nice design, but the standard 256K mod doesn't work for obvious reasons.

Bryce.

Zoe Robinson

Okay, this might sound like a daft question but what's the difference between this model and other models? I'm not seeing a difference between the photo and my own 64k memory pack; which I'm pretty sure isn't rare or special.

Bryce

The difference is only visible inside. The original is thru-pin technology (and can easily be upgraded to 256K if it's the 64K version), this version uses SMD components: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/8/8d/2_-_64Ks_-_04_.jpg

Bryce.

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Bryce on 21:33, 10 November 15
The difference is only visible inside.

Yeah, that would explain my confusion. I don't open things up unless it's really, really necessary. :)

00WReX

Here is the picture gallery from the Wiki.

Both types represented there for a while now.

Dk'tronics Memory Expansion Gallery - CPCWiki

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

Yeah, but unfortunately only low-res.

Bryce.

260Z

Nice one Ray. Scored the original box  :D

Damn , I'd even consider buying another one just for that. Lol

But like yours , mine is also the SMD model. Like others are saying , I'd leave it be and get an X-MEM if you really want more than 128k.

Robert

TFM

Can't imagine that there are much built in 1990.  :-*
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

The box states 464plus. So even later than that I guess.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Funny thing about the box is: It stated to be a 64 KB expansion, BUT also stated that it extends memory to 320 KB. Now...  :o
TFM of FutureSoft

Audronic

Thanks ALL

I posted the photos as i had not seen one before.
I then discovered it in the WIKI.
I won't be modifying it, it stays as it is.
The post was just for information.
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Quote from: TFM on 23:26, 10 November 15
Funny thing about the box is: It stated to be a 64 KB expansion, BUT also stated that it extends memory to 320 KB. Now...  :o

Wow, you're right, well spotted. Maybe I need to take a closer look at one of these. The circuit hasn't been reversed yet and there no schematics available as far as I know.

Bryce.

TFM

However, the expansion will only provide 64 KB (what ever the box tells), because it contain two chips called:

8948 B USA
MT4067EJ-10

They are 64K x 4 DRAM PAGE MODE ICs.
TFM of FutureSoft

remax

Quote from: TFM on 23:26, 10 November 15

64k+256k Silicon disk from DKTronics = 320k i guess...
Brain Radioactivity

TFM

Very misleading... but a way to enhance business.  :-\
TFM of FutureSoft

steve

What does the 10/90 mean?

Terje_Norway

Quote from: steve on 23:32, 18 November 15
What does the 10/90 mean?

Hi,

I guess it means the October 1990 revision.

There are at least TWO different versions of the Dk'tronics 64K extension. One made back in 1986/87, and one made in 1990.
The differences are probably the number of components and layout of the PCB.
I guess the 1990 version was much cheaper to make.

You could check out the following Dk'tronics page. Dk'tronics memory expansion - CPCWiki

I "think" I have both versions of it. If someone is interested, I could scan both PCBs and have them uploaded on the CPCWIKI.

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

TFM

Hi! I assume you got everything CPC, so let me ask you this question: Do you have the HD64180 expansion card for the CPC? It's very rare. I would exchange it to the original CPC464 with Vortex Expansion and Vortex Winchester the Company used, the HD still contains the customer database. I got that when they left CPC market.

TFM of FutureSoft

Terje_Norway

Quote from: TFM on 17:05, 19 November 15
Hi! I assume you got everything CPC, so let me ask you this question: Do you have the HD64180 expansion card for the CPC? It's very rare. I would exchange it to the original CPC464 with Vortex Expansion and Vortex Winchester the Company used, the HD still contains the customer database. I got that when they left CPC market.

Hi,

No, I don't have the HD64180. Actually I don't think I haven't hear about it at all  :-\ 

Does it have something to do with the "sidewagon" that was released for the CPC in Germany. It was mentioned in the Danish Amstrad Bladet in one of the issues.
For those who doesn't know what I'm talking about, it was an extension that made the CPC IBM compatible. It should contain 512Kb memory and 2 x 5.25" disc drives.
So all in all You could run MS-DOS on the CPC. I guess it actually was a PC without keyboard and monitor. You could use the CPC keyboard and monitor.

Most of my CPC hardware, or more exactly nearly all of my Amstrad machines and other Amstrad hardware comes from Ebay.
But I think I was a bit ahead of the rest when it comes to purchasing retro equipment on Ebay. I bought it when prices was much lower than today.
A lot of it was purchased 5-10 years ago. Mostly on Ebay in the UK and Germany.
I did actually make a huge purchase when the Weeske warehouse was cleared years ago. Most of the goods went for decent prices, and I did also get a few private deals.

If there is any interest I could compile a list of ALL my Amstrad hardware, but practically everything I have is covered on the CPCWiki.

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY