News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DualOS

Started by Bryce, 18:46, 15 January 12

Previous topic - Next topic

OCT

Quote from: MacDeath on 12:22, 27 February 12
Quote from: OCTcompared to an acronym on a French roadsign (will try to find a picture) with no less than 14 letters
What ?
Knew you'd say "Picture or it never happened / or the French never did such a thing !" :D

Voici la preuve... ;)

Sloopie

Quote from: Bryce on 18:46, 15 January 12
I just uploaded the DualOS mod tutorial here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/DualOS which is the reason I needed to remove the 40015 earlier today.

Bryce.

Great !!!  ;D

.....is about "my" cpc?

OCT

Quote from: Bryce on 18:46, 15 January 12
I just uploaded the DualOS mod tutorial here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/DualOS which is the reason I needed to remove the 40015 earlier today.
You could also have pulled just the Chip Enable pin and soldered the ParaDOS (or up to 4 different DOSes actually) (E)EPROM piggy-backed on top of the AMSDOS, toggling between the two as shown below (albeit for ROM 0 and with an optional socket), though on a 6128 the additional EMI shielding might get in the way:
[attach=2]
This may be an alternative feasible for folks with less l33t (de)soldering sk1llz ;) than Yours (with a capital Y of course), and/or having only high-end equipment such as this (which has served me surprisingly well though at its 20€ price tag BTW; does anyone know whether these are still available with today's much improved crop of rechargable batteries?):
[attach=3]

Bryce

Yes, you could do that too, just I prefer to always add a socket to the board, that way you can swap and change the code as often as you like or use an alternative to the original.
I don't know that soldering iron, but I do use a gas soldering iron when I don't have a power source (working on car electronics).

@Sloopie: Yes, the pictures are of your CPC during its "operation" :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

While on the subject on the DUO etymology (not really, apologies for my tardiness :D ), let me burst your bubbles by remind you that the greek word for TWO is... ΔΥΟ. Notice the similarity? ;)

Bryce

No, I just see a triangle and the word Yo! :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

Lesson 1 of the series "Learn Ancient Greek in 20.000 Easy Lessons" thus concluded.

OCT

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:59, 04 March 12
While on the subject on the DUO etymology [...], let me [...] remind you that the greek word for TWO is... ΔΥΟ. Notice the similarity? ;)
To Pa Portokalos from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259446 ? :D
Quote from: GusGive me a word, any word, and I show you that the root of that word is Greek

MaV

Quote from: OCT on 22:24, 04 March 12
Portokalos
Whenever I read that name I can hardly believe it is a family name. May I introduce you to Mr. and Ms. Orange. :D

The father in the movie is wrong in a way, of course. The sentence is a hyperbole, which contains a core of truth, namely that a lot of words have been borrowed from Greek, while other words share a common origin in Greek and Englisch, the Romance languages and Slavic, for example.

duo, ΔΥΟ, zwei, two, dva all have originated in the Indoeuropean language thousands of years ago.

Numbers, BTW, are highly unlikely to be borrowed from another language. And if so it's usually the numbers beginning from 1000 upwards - like hiljada in Serbian, when Croation uses tisuca. The last word is interestingly related to "thousand", again by common origin in the Indoeuropean.

German das Duo, and duet with their particular meanings have their origin in Latin (via Italian and French in this case), of course. But that has already been addressed.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Bryce

You think Mr Orange is funny? Lets translate some German family names to English:

Herr Hundgeburth = Mr. Dog Birth

Frau Bieber = Ms. Beaver (my favourite, ask any English speaker why :D )

Herr Eisenberg = Mr Iron Mountain

Frau Faust = Mrs Fist (Don't want to go there)

I could go on...

Bryce.

MacDeath

Fixed.

funny, it's in Ardèche, near where I live I guess.
I'm in Drôme, right on the other side of the Rhône... my city of Valence being de facto the capital city of both Drôme and Ardèche... yeah, we love to put accents on our O and E...

Umlauts are for barbarians...
;D
Using no accents is for barbarians too... but perhaps event less developped Barbarians.

(ok, it was jokes my friends...)

But it's not a 14 letter acronym, it's actually 3 acronyms put beside.

And yes, those are administrations...

Ok let's no more talk about it.

QuoteTWO is... ΔΥΟ.
AYO ?
I don't see this that close... ;D

Damn Helleniks, can't thou speak Latin ?

Also, can't you all speak french like averybody ?
(comon french joke : ces étrangers, ils peuvent pas parler français comme tout le monde ?)

beaker

Quote from: MacDeath on 12:10, 05 March 12
Also, can't you all speak french like averybody ?
(comon french joke : ces étrangers, ils peuvent pas parler français comme tout le monde ?)

Alas I tried but got an E grade at GCSE level  :'(  But our French teacher was amazingly hot!  :P

lol, sorry, but your joke reminded me of a Futurama episode:

Futurama - Dead language

MacDeath

How fun, in the french version the machine says "guten tag"... ;D

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 20:22, 05 March 12
How fun, in the french version the machine says "guten tag"... ;D

Sure, robots are German, eh, well, as you always say: Germans are robots ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

OCT

Quote from: MacDeathUmlauts are for barbarians... ;D
At least you neither called anyone Hun, Kraut nor even boche. ;) <sigh>
Then again, we don't blame the Grande Nation for giving the world AZERTY keyboards either...  ;D
QuoteBut it's not a 14 letter acronym, it's actually 3 acronyms put beside.

And yes, those are administrations...
In all their glory, inconsistently leaving out the last dot on the first sign - looks like the ENA grads writing (OK, planning&leading) your roadsigns aren't all that educated anymore these days. :D This wouldn't have happened when they were all actually Catholic and Latin-speaking (pun very much intended for the FOL).

AFAIK the longest known acronym is Russian anyway, having more letters than the Cyrillic alphabet itself...

Gryzor

Quote from: MacDeath on 12:10, 05 March 12

AYO ?
I don't see this that close... ;D

Damn Helleniks, can't thou speak Latin ?

No, it's not an Alpha, it's a Delta. Damn, frenchie, get your letters right, I know you can read at least that much :D

And no, we spent quite some time developing ancient Greek, plus it's very hard, so we won't be giving it up to adopt a lesser child! (for some reason Spartacus the tv series sprung to mind :D )

TFM

While people discuss alpha, beta, gamma, delta and even a bit of rho.... nobody did recognize that... the omega comes closer and closer  :P

Back to DualDOS... IMHO it shouldn't be a problem to create a QuaDOS, means using 64 KB of EPROM. You just need some switches more and can use:

- AMSDOS
- XDDOS
- PARADOS
- RODOS (strange, but interesting DOS)[nb]See CPCWiki! Where else?!! http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/RODOS[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

steve

Perhaps all those DOSes could be integrated into a newdos that fits into a single 16k rom.

TFM

Quote from: steve on 18:07, 06 March 12
Perhaps all those DOSes could be integrated into a newdos that fits into a single 16k rom.

That would be ParaDOS with Vortex Patch ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Four DOS's in one chip is simple, but would anyone really need that many? Most people are happy with two, but I'll publish a how-to if anyone is really interested.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Well, just for the heck of it I s'ppose...

steve

Quote from: Bryce on 09:38, 07 March 12
Four DOS's in one chip is simple, but would anyone really need that many? Most people are happy with two, but I'll publish a how-to if anyone is really interested.

Bryce.

Yes please, I may not need it now but it may appeal to someone in the future, I might use it to put SymbOS in one of my CPC's either that or on a cartridge.

Bryce

The dual and Quad DOS solutions here don't allow access to all four ROMs at the same time, just one of the four would be seen by the CPC, so if your plan was to put SymbOS in the four slots, then that won't work.

Bryce.

steve

OK, Thanks.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 09:38, 07 March 12

Bryce.

Actually not four, but to be able to do everything (without patching around[nb]However, also that patching leaves some formats out[/nb]) I will at least need three of them: AmsDOS, ParaDOS and XDDOS.
TFM of FutureSoft