News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Edge connector saver

Started by chinnyhill10, 14:10, 21 February 14

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Having a 6128 and a +3 I find myself sharing my HxC between the two machines as and when I need to.

Does anyone sell an edge connector saver (i.e. a device that plugs onto the machines disc drive edge connector and then you plug into that) as I don't want to knacker what are already well worn edge connectors.

I could have a cable for each machine but that only then puts more risk of a fault occurring at the HxC end.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

It would be possible to make one, but it might cause more problems than it solves. It adds a new row of possible bad connections / resistance / oxidation to an already unreliable connection system.
If you are really worried about the contacts wearing from so much connecting, then I'd suggest coating the pins with a thin layer of solder. Another more drastic solution would be to solder a pin-header to the edge connector.

Bryce.

gerald

Or a second cable for the HxC, so you use the IDC connector (easy to replace) instead ?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: gerald on 15:35, 21 February 14
Or a second cable for the HxC, so you use the IDC connector (easy to replace) instead ?

Having just had a pin fall out of the connector on one of my +3 drives I'm not sure if doing it that way is any better solution.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube