News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

External Bare inch drive cabling

Started by CraigsBar, 21:08, 31 July 14

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Hi,

The external disc drives most commonly used with the CPC are 3.5 inch. However on occasion I need to copy from one 3 inch drive to another and to do that I would need a bonkers expensive FD-1. unless......

Is there a simple wiring diagram to show which wires can be removed froma standard floppy connector to make a adaptor cable that will pluf into a standard CPC floppy cable and provide a 26 pin connector for a standard 3 inch floppy drive (as I have 2 or 3 spare bare drives and think buying a large and cumbersome FD-1 unneccessary if a simple adaptor cable can be made to remove the excess wires.

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

So you want a 34way to 26way wiring diagram? I think I did that once, will have to look and see where I put it.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 08:26, 01 August 14
So you want a 34way to 26way wiring diagram? I think I did that once, will have to look and see where I put it.

Bryce.

Thanks bryce that would be perfect. There is a 26way to 34way shown on the wiki. But it seems inconsistant with with daft back to front cable (Track 1 on the cable to pin 26 on the drive) that Amstrad seem to use on the 3 inch drives ;)

I want to get this right I cannot afford to fry a 3 inch drive, although I have spares (One of which is a 80 track Double sided model) I do not have an abundant number of them.

The one I do have is a 5v model which will make powering it easier (Oh I also have a 5v one in one of my CPC 6128's so no 12v lead needed on there)

Craig

Bryce

The 26 to 34 way adapter diagram is from me and it does "the twist" (Track 1 on the cable to pin 26 on the drive) and I have built this cable many times, so I can confirm that it is correct.

Bryce.

The Last Bandit

I used that wiki info to build my 3.5"-3" external combo drive and it worked fine without too much fannying about.

TFM

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:08, 31 July 14
The external disc drives most commonly used with the CPC are 3.5 inch. However on occasion I need to copy from one 3 inch drive to another and to do that I would need a bonkers expensive FD-1. unless......

Hi. As long as you want to copy a Data or System/Vendor or IBM formatted 3" disc you can do that easy and very quick with FutureOS. It reads / writes a full 3" disc in 9 seconds. And you only need one drive :-)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 22:08, 01 August 14
Hi. As long as you want to copy a Data or System/Vendor or IBM formatted 3" disc you can do that easy and very quick with FutureOS. It reads / writes a full 3" disc in 9 seconds. And you only need one drive :-)
I really want to like FutureOS, but I am sorry I just cannot. I have not managed to get comfortable with the GUI, I like the fact that the CPC has 3 options in the next gen OS sector (I am counting FW 3.1 as an OS here as it does massively change the look and feel of the machine) I know technically it is a very impressinve piece of coding, but I just do not 'like' it.

For me disc copying means Parados for file copies and Xexor for disc copies.

Although Xexor can and does backup a 3 inch floppy in one pass (with a Symbiface or other 256kb or larger memory expansion) I occasionally would like to do A->B copies and therefore need 2 3 inch drives.

Since I have multiple spare 3 inch drives I do not feel inclined to spend a small fortune to buy a FD1 on ebay.

Craig

TFM

Never mind, taste is a personal thing. F.e. I don't like all that windows crap.
Probably it depends just on getting used to something, or even more: Getting used to something the first time.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus