News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Getting started with ROMs

Started by MartinW, 22:57, 24 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinW

Hi all,

I've been having a bit of a play about over the last week and when it comes to real hardware I always seem to end up coming back to ROMs in some form or other. I was playing about with some code samples and sticking them onto the real hardware, then trying to bring the stuff up in Maxam but the disk version was a real pain in the a*se!

I had a bit of a nose about at ROM boards and things and keep seeing reference to statements like "of course everyone's got MegaROM/Flash's these days" - yet I can't see anyone selling them! Is anyone doing the circuit boards for either? I'm more than proficient enough to build one but I've never had any PCBs made...

Is that generally the accepted way to go?

Thanks,
Martin.

TheCorfiot

Our man Bryce is the hardware guru extraordinare and creator of Megaflash, i'm sure he will be along soon to tell you more but please read up his excellent article on the Wiki..

It would be interesting for the group as a whole to compile a definitive list of the best and essential roms that we should all have loaded onto the Megaflash...

TC  :)

TFM

Well... just can tell you what I use: RDOS, Maxam, Protext, Strakos, X-DDOS, OCP-Art Studio, FutureOS, ROManager (including the Booster to enable ROMs 16-31), Softbrenner, Uridium on ROM and BCPL.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Hi Martin,
     in case you haven't found it yet, this is the MegaFlash: MegaFlash - CPCWiki
And if you'd like one let me know (send me a PM).

Bryce.