News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gotek USB in a CPC6128

Started by Gryzor, 17:01, 18 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

sucram

Hey, some of you use it a Gotek with the CPC. I try to connect one at the PCW, but it does not work. I've described it here:
Gotek USB on a PCW

Because the two computers are similar, you might have an idea?

Guy0me

Gotek for President ! Gotek for CPC ! Gotek for everybody !
Jeff HxC2001 release us from the floppy disk oppression !  ;D :'(

TFM

Therefore we actually have the HxC which works really well!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Quote from: guyome on 18:37, 02 April 15
Gotek for President ! Gotek for CPC ! Gotek for everybody !
Jeff HxC2001 release us from the floppy disk oppression !  ;D :'(

Actually, Jeff has done that brilliantly already :D

Guy0me

I know HxC is a wonderful work but i don't want to cut my amstrads to put one inside..
So i guess the gotek solution is better for me and cheaper too !  ;)

For me it's the perfect solution because the case is already with it,  so it's more simple to use it ..

TFM

Well, pricing is a point which matters of course a side of quality. Got one of my HxC's in a nix casing, it serves as Drive B. Guess I also could use it as A though.  :)

The big advantage of all these things is that data transfer from PC to CPC and vice versa is really simple using a memory card.  :)

However, I can only strongly advice to make backups of everything.  ;)   :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

kevin.c

Quote from: pelrun on 06:04, 23 March 15
.....  pony up the dosh for a firmware image.
My goodness... I like horses, but what do they have in common with my awsome HxC...  :o Though in polish slang, "horses" means people selling illegaly overpayed tickets.  :D

pelrun

Hah, it's somewhat unusual slang for "pay the money". Most of the people on this board appear so fluent in english (certainly compared to my current facility in german and japanese) that I forget a very large number of them have it as a second language...

Jeff_HxC2001

Client PC Software : OK
Server : OK - Up and running  :)
USB Boot Loader : OK (As with the SD HxC, the software updates are done with a simple USB key).

Soon some beta test accounts.  :D

Guy0me

TFM

Quote from: Jeff_HxC2001 on 18:20, 04 April 15
Soon some beta test accounts.  :D

Hi Jeff. Since I only got the HxC's, let me ask you a question. Guess you are -THE- expert here.  :)
So, what's the difference between the HxC with USB connection and the Gotek? [nb]Curious about technical aspects, not pricing.[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft

Munchausen

Quote from: TFM on 20:54, 04 April 15

Hi Jeff. Since I only got the HxC's, let me ask you a question. Guess you are -THE- expert here.  :)
So, what's the difference between the HxC with USB connection and the Gotek? [nb]Curious about technical aspects, not pricing.[/nb]

The Gotek is not connected to the PC over USB like the USB HxC is, it has a USB socket that you can plug a USB drive into, and the gotek then uses disk images from the USB drive and emulates them to the CPC (or whatever).

TFM

Ah Thank you! So the Gotek is like the HxC with SD-Card, but it uses USB drives instead of SD-Cards! Got it.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Jeff_HxC2001

Hi,

The planning is shifting a little bit , but things are becoming interesting :

[attachimg=1]

I am actually cooking these firmwares :
The Classic HxC Floppy Emulator firmware supporting HFE files for all machines.
The ADF HxC Floppy Emulator firmware supporting ADF files for Amiga.
The ST HxC Floppy Emulator firmware supporting ST files for Atari ST.
And the CPC HxC Floppy Emulator firmware supporting DSK files for CPC.

:D

Neil79

The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

robcfg

Excellent news! When I have a little time, I'll send you a picture of my older gotek pcb to see if it's compatible with the programming procedure and your firmware.

Guy0me

HFE and DSK !  ;D but i guess we need to choose between firmwares.. i think DSK is better because smaller size. Good job for others machines too !
In older posts people talk about only one special Gotek working with CPC.. if others could work too its a wonderful job anyway .. 8)

KaosOverride

Yes, older post where about an experiment using the underused IBM format for exploiting the original gotek firmware and have "something"  :)

Also, because HM had some problems with people selling and overpricing his work, stopped the development of his ST and CPC firmware, was the only easy way to have a gotek working at the CPC.

But now we have HxC working under gotek hardware, and that makes it the best alternative (well, it really is the only way)

Also the 720kb gotek is priced like the cheaper gotek + Jeffs HxC online firmware flash.

I want to taste it!!!!

KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

Munchausen

@Jeff_HxC2001 this is looking really awesome! I was wondering, would it possible for people to add their own HD44780 LCD to the gotek somewhere? Perhaps to use the jumpers at the back, or some of those used for the current 7 seg displays? This would be a really awesome feature!

McKlain

And how will firmware updates work for people who buy it?

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: McKlain on 11:47, 19 April 15
And how will firmware updates work for people who buy it?

Quite easy, exactly as the SD HxC : Download the UPD file, copy it to the USB Key, Insert the USB Key into the drive, press both buttons and switch ON. The update is done 10/20 seconds.

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Munchausen on 13:08, 13 April 15
@Jeff_HxC2001 this is looking really awesome! I was wondering, would it possible for people to add their own HD44780 LCD to the gotek somewhere? Perhaps to use the jumpers at the back, or some of those used for the current 7 seg displays? This would be a really awesome feature!

This is planed. Something similar to this : http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10351#p10351

Audronic

@ Jeff_HxC2001

What version of Gotek is suitable Please.

I have a 1.44 meg Version  SFR922 Motherboard.

Would this be Suitable to be Flashed ?

Thanks Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

a7mag3ddon

Hi everyone.

I'm really interested in this project also and would like to order a gotek in advance as its 4 week delivery to UK :-(

How can you tell if the device I buy is the correct one that's fladhable?

Thanks

TFM

Quote from: Audronic on 23:35, 19 April 15
@ Jeff_HxC2001

What version of Gotek is suitable Please.

I have a 1.44 meg Version  SFR922 Motherboard.

Would this be Suitable to be Flashed ?

Thanks Ray

This is a bit like asking Prodatron about FutureOS. Jeff is the creator of the HxC, he supports the Gotek obviously a lot, but his focus is imho on his HxC. So for the Gotek better ask its developer.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft