News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gotek USB in a CPC6128

Started by Gryzor, 17:01, 18 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizrythmia

Quote from: ukmarkh on 23:53, 25 February 16
Looks like I've bought the last one... Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sell My Retro says there's still 16 left, which is good because I was going to get one this weekend. You had me worried for a minute there  :D

Bryce

Quote from: ukmarkh on 18:24, 25 February 16

With a disk controller... but that's the issue for most. Disk controllers for the Amstrad aren't exactly cheap?

But the 464 is the only one that doesn't have a disk controller and the 464+ has all the traces etc on the PCB, so you just need to install the components.

Bryce.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Bryce on 09:14, 26 February 16
But the 464 is the only one that doesn't have a disk controller and the 464+ has all the traces etc on the PCB, so you just need to install the components.

Bryce.

I was under the impression that most CPC enthusiasts preferred and collected the CPC 464, and the others were a nicety, but yeah, spot on.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 03:32, 26 February 16
Sell My Retro says there's still 16 left, which is good because I was going to get one this weekend. You had me worried for a minute there  :D

When I looked yesterday, for the CPC 6128 model, it listed only one available [emoji15]

ukmarkh

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:19, 18 March 14
I just noticed he's using IMG files though.

I will stick with my HxC's until someone creates a custom firmware for the GOTEK allowing us to use DSK files directly.

The conversion process is simple enough, plus, for next to nothing, you can buy an additional USB stick where everything is preloaded and ready to go. The menu system you get to access all the games on a CPC screen is simply brilliant

Bryce

Well I own a 464 purely because it is my original from my childhood, but I got the impression that most people who want a CPC for gaming and expansion etc tend to go for the 6128, because of the extra RAM and FDC.

Bryce.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Bryce on 12:37, 26 February 16
Well I own a 464 purely because it is my original from my childhood, but I got the impression that most people who want a CPC for gaming and expansion etc tend to go for the 6128, because of the extra RAM and FDC.

Bryce.

I dunno mate, I thought the CPC 6128 and Plus models were not only hard to source, but expensive. 464's are still massively affordable and often come bundled with shed loads of games. But really, I'm just guessing, I don't know.

Bryce

Yes, but they are hard to find because theyv'e already all been snapped up. Personally, I still think the UK 464 is the best looking CPC (even if it is the length of a bus) and I love sitting back and enjoying the sight and sound of a tape loading, but as far as expansion is concerned they really do present quite a few challenges.

Bryce.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Bryce on 13:46, 26 February 16
Yes, but they are hard to find because theyv'e already all been snapped up. Personally, I still think the UK 464 is the best looking CPC (even if it is the length of a bus) and I love sitting back and enjoying the sight and sound of a tape loading, but as far as expansion is concerned they really do present quite a few challenges.

Bryce.

Well, with this new device, and my already equipped CPC 464 with 128K and Silicon disk, I also think it has a certain charm. Desk space is becoming a problem though  :'( 

Bryce

We are actually living in the good times as far as CPC expansions are concerned. Back when I started doing CPC hardware (I think the MegaROM was one of the first around 2010) there was barely anyone looking at doing CPC hardware and compared to other scenes we had nothing. The best you could do was maybe find a secondhand SF2 or use original 80's expansions and maybe add a 3.5in drive. Now we have so many guys bringing really great stuff out. Not always 464 friendly, but it's a great time for CPC hardware generally.

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:39, 26 February 16
I dunno mate, I thought the CPC 6128 and Plus models were not only hard to source, but expensive. 464's are still massively affordable and often come bundled with shed loads of games. But really, I'm just guessing, I don't know.
I guess it's related to your local market. More 464 were sold in UK than 6128 and if you want a QWERTY keyboard you're limiting you choice.
A quick look on ebay show that an AZERTY 6128 sell of about 40/50€ in France. QWERTY one in UK are more on the £80 (100€).

ukmarkh

Quote from: Bryce on 13:58, 26 February 16
We are actually living in the good times as far as CPC expansions are concerned. Back when I started doing CPC hardware (I think the MegaROM was one of the first around 2010) there was barely anyone looking at doing CPC hardware and compared to other scenes we had nothing. The best you could do was maybe find a secondhand SF2 or use original 80's expansions and maybe add a 3.5in drive. Now we have so many guys bringing really great stuff out. Not always 464 friendly, but it's a great time for CPC hardware generally.

Bryce.

Yep, I've travelled the same CPC journey, 3.5" disk drives, Linked CPC to PC, used all types of hardware expansions, but until the C4CPC, it has been a messy old affair. 

pelrun

Quote from: ukmarkh on 18:24, 25 February 16
With a disk controller... but that's the issue for most. Disk controllers for the Amstrad aren't exactly cheap?
Well, you are in a thread specifically called "Gotek USB in a CPC6128"...

pelrun

Quote from: Bryce on 13:58, 26 February 16
We are actually living in the good times as far as CPC expansions are concerned.
You're not wrong. I already have 6 MX4 cards and only 4 slots to put them in. Guess I should go buy a second MotherX4 now...

Querubin

Is there any way of making the red led blinked when accesing the usb?.

Is there any way of put a led that blinked when accesing the usb?.
Step by step

Phantomz

I've just flashed a couple of Goteks with the HXC firmware and they work great with my CPC 6128  ( connected to the external drive port on the back ) ;D

I haven't tried them on my plus machine yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on there too. ( I have the correct connection cables and power supply lead for this machine too ).  ;)

My Goteks have no Buzzer, but they do have two leds on the front, one red one green, if I remember correctly the green one flashes to show disk activity when used on my amiga's.

When I use the gotek on my Amstrad the green light just stays on, so I can't tell when the disk is being read, I know I could add a buzzer mod, but I'd prefer to have just a activity light.

Is there anyway to add a activity led to the gotek for the Amstrad? If so I could bend back the red led on the gotek ( like a lot of them are ) then use the hole for the newly added led.

I hope this is possible.  :)

Querubin

Shouldn't be so difficult. I think will be the same circuit than the buzzer one but with different transistor which deal well with the led.
Step by step

Phantomz

Quote from: Querubin on 21:38, 25 March 16
Shouldn't be so difficult. I think will be the same circuit than the buzzer one but with different transistor which deal well with the led.

I think so too, I mean that circuit is getting the signal to make the sound when the disk is accessed so makes sense, I just don't know what transistor would be needed like yourself.

I'm sure one of the hardware guys on here would know and maybe have already done the mod.  :)

I think the Gotek with HxC firmware is great for the cpc and others might think so too, some people might not like the buzzer so think this mod would be a good option to have.  :D

Querubin

I have it!!!

Thanks to wilco and flopping from the Va de Retro (Satanás) -- VERSION 2 - Portal forum for the help.

Already in test mode but seems to work fine.

100 Ohm resistor to the 3v of red led from gotek and to the catode(positive) of the activity led. (Mine is 3v led).
Anode(negative) to de 18 pin of the data cable. Just next to the pin of the sound mod. Pin 18 is /DIR (direction in).

I don't think it could damage nothing.

My sound mod is on the 5v pin and it works fine.

Hope helps.
Step by step

Phantomz

Quote from: Querubin on 21:02, 02 April 16
I have it!!!

Thanks to wilco and flopping from the Va de Retro (Satanás) -- VERSION 2 - Portal forum for the help.

Already in test mode but seems to work fine.

100 Ohm resistor to the 3v of red led from gotek and to the catode(positive) of the activity led. (Mine is 3v led).
Anode(negative) to de 18 pin of the data cable. Just next to the pin of the sound mod. Pin 18 is /DIR (direction in).

I don't think it could damage nothing.

My sound mod is on the 5v pin and it works fine.

Hope helps.

Nice one, I'll have to give it a go sometime  :)

Maybe someone will sell them on ebay with this mod done, like the buzzer mod.

Querubin

I doubt it. There are only two pleople interested on it. You and me. I have it and you know how to do it.

Thanks for your feedback. I am still testing the mod and works reallly great.
Step by step

Phantomz

Quote from: Querubin on 22:20, 06 April 16
I doubt it. There are only two pleople interested on it. You and me. I have it and you know how to do it.

Thanks for your feedback. I am still testing the mod and works reallly great.

Glad it's working great and nothing has shorted out.  :D

I would have thought more people would be interested as gotek's are really cheap and the hxc firmware makes it a great option for the cpc.

Maybe more people will be interest if and when the firmware supporting dsk images is released.  8)

a7mag3ddon

But when is that? (Disk support)

Querubin

I like to think the full HDD access support will come soon.

I did a test yesterday and gotek read and booted through USB converters one 500 GB SATA HDD, one 500 GB IDE HDD and a 64 MB SD CARD. No problem on boot, read, load and play games in all of them. Allways with HxC autoboot and slots system, of course.
Step by step