News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gotek USB in a CPC6128

Started by Gryzor, 17:01, 18 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Audronic on 23:35, 19 April 15
@ Jeff_HxC2001

What version of Gotek is suitable Please.

I have a 1.44 meg Version  SFR922 Motherboard.

Would this be Suitable to be Flashed ?

Thanks Ray

Yes !

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: TFM on 20:12, 30 April 15

This is a bit like asking Prodatron about FutureOS. Jeff is the creator of the HxC, he supports the Gotek obviously a lot, but his focus is imho on his HxC. So for the Gotek better ask its developer.  :)

"its developer" ? Who are you talking about ?

Jeff_HxC2001

HxC2001 HeadQuarters : HxC Floppy Emulator

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------H----H--X----X-----CCCCC----22222----0000-----0000------11----------
----------H----H----X-X-----C--------------2---0----0---0----0--1--1-----------
---------HHHHHH-----X------C----------22222---0----0---0----0-----1------------
--------H----H----X--X----C----------2-------0----0---0----0-----1-------------
-------H----H---X-----X---CCCCC-----222222----0000-----0000----1111------------
---------------------------------------------------------------- hxc2001.com --
HxC Floppy Emulator project
(c) 2006-2015 Jean-François DEL NERO / (c) HxC2001

STM32 Based hardware bootloader Downloader and Flasher.

This software allows you to download and program the STM32 HxC bootloader into
a STM32 based floppy emulator hardware. (For example these "Gotek" or the next STM32 HxC Floppy emulator units).

Note : This Flash procedure should be needed only once per device since the STM32 HxC bootloader
       will allows you to update the device with a simple USB stick.

To use it you need :
--------------------

-> A STM32 based floppy emulator hardware to flash.

-> A PC under Windows connected to Internet.

-> Any 3.3V serial connection to connect the Floppy Emulator hardware to the PC.

-> Your account information. Contact me to hxc2001()hxc2001.com to get your account.

To Flash the device :
---------------------

-> Set the BOOT0 signal to the VCC3V3 on the device. (Add a connection between "J3" and the VCC3V3 pin. See below).

-> Connect your serial adapter to the device and to the PC. (GND,RX,TX,+5V)
   Note 1: To power the device, you can use a external +5V source or the +5V coming from your USB adapter.
   Note 2: Cross connect your serial adapter to the device : TX wire to the RX pin, RX wire to the TX pin.

-> Start the SecSerialBridge software and select the COM port of your serial adapter. Click on the button "Open"

-> Enter the server and your contacts data. Click on the button "Connect".
   If the connection to the server succeed you will get the "Link is UP !" status.

-> Some seconds later you should get the "Device detected." status.
   Note : If you don't get it, try to reset the STM32 by making a short connection of the reset signal (RST) to GND.

-> Once the device is detected, you can press the "Program" button.
   The download and programming process finish with a "Done !" Status. The whole process take some minutes.

Once done, remove all the connections previously done on the programming pins.

The device should now display "Ldr" at power up and wait for a USB flash drive with a UPD file to use.
You can download these files on the HxC website.

-------------------------------------
|       Programming connector       |
-------------------------------------

The Programming connector is near the power input connector. (SFRC922,SFRC526,...)

----------------------------
|
-+--- NC
-+--- GND      O J3 (BOOT0)
-+--- GND      O VCC3V3
-+--- +5V     OO TX
|        +5V OO RX
|        GND OO RST
|--
|  |
|  |

05/28/2015

(c) 2006-2015 Jean-François DEL NERO / (c) HxC2001

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/HXCFEUSB_HFE_V3_0_0_0a.zip
http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/STM32_SerialBridge.zip

;)

a7mag3ddon

Will this work on all gotek versions?

Example SFR1M44-U100K

Jeff_HxC2001

Yes, actually all models should be fine. In fact there is few differences between each model.

Kris

I just flash & update a SFRC922 PCB version and all is working fine on my CPC6128 ;)

a7mag3ddon

How did you connect the gotek to the amstrad, the disk drive cable is too short to fit a standard floppy cable (number of pins)

Guy0me

Quote from: a7mag3ddon on 15:16, 01 May 15
How did you connect the gotek to the amstrad, the disk drive cable is too short to fit a standard floppy cable (number of pins)
DIY:Floppy Drives - CPCWiki

a7mag3ddon

Damn that looks scary, can you buy them pre made? I'm too scared to damage my working drive cable.

Guy0me

Kris

Quote from: a7mag3ddon on 15:16, 01 May 15

Mine is connected as Drive B and it is a standard floppy ribbon; in order to connect it internaly, check here:
http://zonadepruebas.org/deepfb/ordenadores/amstrad/3,5eng.htm

a7mag3ddon

Yeah ribbon might be standard but 6128 is 26 pin and gotek 34 so not a straight fit. Didn't want to make my own and ruin my good cable. Will buy from link :-)

CraigsBar

Quote from: a7mag3ddon on 16:27, 01 May 15
Yeah ribbon might be standard but 6128 is 26 pin and gotek 34 so not a straight fit. Didn't want to make my own and ruin my good cable. Will buy from link :-)
the internal connection is 26 pin. The external b drive connector is a 34 way edge connector (or centronics in Germany)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Guy0me

If you have the money to spend  ;) but it's kind of easy to make a 26 ribbon from a 34 .. and it's free  :D
the biggest problem is that you have to unplug the original ribbon from the motherboard ..  if you want to put it internal ..
most people says it's more simple to use it external .. Make your decision ..

a7mag3ddon

But I would still have to buy a cable, connectors. Easier to buy I just bought floppy drive to CPC adapter.

TFM

Quote from: Jeff_HxC2001 on 21:36, 30 April 15
"its developer" ? Who are you talking about ?

Oh you did that too? Then I mixed things up. Sorry for the confusion. It's a few Floppy emulators out there.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

jrodriguezv

Hi!! I hace a gotek flashed with HM's Amiga firmware, a serial to USB adapter to flash fw and a ribbon to use it with my 6128.

Can I use this fw to use gotek with my 6128? What do I have to do and what kind of files can I load?

Sorry for so many questions but I a am a little lost with the information posted before.

Thanks!!

Gryzor

Let's see how long before someone offers a complete package for sale :)

sucram

If someone use the (flashed) Gotek with a PCW, please leave a description.

KaosOverride

Pretty straight  8)

You need the drive as DS1 and the power connector must be reversed.

But you need to mod the main case drive place to fit the gotek or any other pc drive...
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

Guy0me

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:00, 03 May 15
Let's see how long before someone offers a complete package for sale :)
Yeah that's what i'm talking about  :D
Wait and see ..  (not me lol)
I'm actually talking with some sellers and see if they are interested..

jrodriguezv

Well, I have my gotek init.d working with my 6128. It works great!!

pelrun

Had a hell of a time getting the gotek flashed - the serialbridge has some frustrating UI issues, and only seems to attempt the flash once, without feedback, and only if you hit the buttons in the right order (Connect, Open, Program). Get it wrong and you need to close the program and restart, filling in all the fields again, and you can't tab between them - mouse only!

I was prepared to kill someone after the fifteenth attempt...

Jeff_HxC2001

Yes according to the server log, your connection seems to be at least flakey : Which USB adapter/OS are you using ?
Ps: Smashing the "Program" button doesn't help : You have to wait that the device is detected by the server. If it doesn't try to reset the STM. The detection can take some seconds. You shouldn't  have to restart the software.

Anyway you finally got it :)

Thanks for the feedback, i will improve a bit the GUI to manage these borderlines situation.

Note : About 20 devices was flashed online last day.  :D

a7mag3ddon

How do we get a licence to flash the Gotek? Jeff i sent a PM about it a few days ago :-)