News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Grey keyed Amstrad CPC 464

Started by beaker, 23:06, 25 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

beaker

Are they grey keyed 464s rare? Just wondering if it's worth a trip to Cork to pick this one up?
http://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/amstrad-cpc-464-games-accessories/2128047

Joss

For me it is like a Schneider CPC with an AMSTRAD chassis ... but I think other people in this forum will give you a better answer ..... ::)

robcfg

Funny, it looks like a CPC464 with a Schneider CPC keyboard and tape drive.

Though as far as I remember, the Schneider ones have a QWERTZ keyboard instead of a QWERTY one.

Anyway, seems like a good lot to get, with lot of games.

That's my two cents  ;)

00WReX

From various things I have read over the years this is my understanding of the "grey keyed" 464's (may not be correct).

These are essentially the later model 464 German Schneider models.

As I understand it, when the Schneider / Amstrad relationship finished towards the end of the CPC's life the remaining grey keboards were shipped in Amstrad badged cases...mostly still in Germany but from things I have read some of them were shipped around europe, I suppose just to use up the stock.

I have only seen them in the UK and I think Spain, but only the odd one.

Not sure on how rare they are...but they must be considerably rarer than the normal "coloured" 464 keyboard.

I also picked up a grey keyed "Amstrad" 464 earlier in the year (from the UK) and I'm pretty sure they never officially made it to Australia.

Here is a Schneider badged "grey key" 464 that sold in Germany a few days ago.

Amstrad / Schneider CPC 464 Computer / 8-Bit Homecomuter | eBay
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

00WReX

Just did some more web searches....and found what I basically said on the wiki...

Keyboard Versions - CPCWiki

Thats probably were I remembered it from.
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Gryzor

Yup, you got that right :) It's an Amstrad-marketed one. Though, to be 100% sure you would need to check the expansion port - if German it should not be an edge connector.

What Robcfg said about the QWERTZ keyboard does ring a bell, though the photos in the wiki are QWERTY as well?

So, it's probably Germany stock that's found its way back to Ireland. €100 is a normal price, especially considering all those games. I'd go for it, but don't expect it to be anything that'll fetch you $$$ down the road!

00WReX

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:18, 26 September 12
Yup, you got that right :) It's an Amstrad-marketed one. Though, to be 100% sure you would need to check the expansion port - if German it should not be an edge connector.

One thing that has me interested is the mention of the expansion ports...

What you mentioned I have also read before, but I have an early Schneider 464 (tall key version) and a Schneider 664 (and a couple of 6128's)
and only the 6128's have the centronics connectors & internal shielding. The 464 & 664 are just the usual edge connectors.

Is anyone able to confirm for sure ?

One thing I just thought of is that both the 464 & 664 were purchased from Holland (although so was one of the 6128's...all from same seller)
not sure if being from Holland makes a difference ??

I believe Schneider also distributed the CPC's in Holland but maybe they just used the English motherboards on the 464 /664  ???

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

MaV

You are quite right. The Schneider CPC 464 and 664 had only edge connectors.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

beaker

Thanks for the information and advice. It would be nice to have in the collection - I think I'll have a chat to the chap and see if we can work something out :)

00WReX

Looks like they also made it to Italy...

Here's one currently on ebay Italy.

RETRO PC AMSTRAD-CPC 464+MONITOR ORIGINALE+JOYSTICK+5 GIOCHI+ISTRUZIONI | eBay

beaker did you follow up the one you had your eye on ?

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Gryzor

00WReX

Haha, Yeh...everytime I see one of these ( even  when I get my one out ) it feels like I'm looking at an old black & white photo.
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

MoodyM

I had a CPC464 here in the UK, Amstrad branded, colour monitor, grey keys.

Gryzor

Did you buy it in the UK?

Devilmarkus

Around 1990 Schneider gone away from Amstrad, and Amstrad itself sold the CPCs here in Germany labeled "Amstrad" and grey keys...
I think this is such a, for export designed, CPC 464 from 1991 (I got the same here)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

ivarf

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 22:53, 26 June 14
Around 1990 Schneider gone away from Amstrad, and Amstrad itself sold the CPCs here in Germany labeled "Amstrad" and grey keys...
I think this is such a, for export designed, CPC 464 from 1991 (I got the same here)

For about 10 years ago I bought a grey keyed Amstrad CPC 464. I think it was from UK. It had an standard Amstrad CPC edge connector

Bryce

All 464s have edge connectors, there are no Centronics connector 464s.

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Bryce on 09:33, 27 June 14

Same for the CPC 664.
The only edge connected CPC was the 6128 (And later the Plus)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Bryce

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 09:41, 27 June 14
Same for the CPC 664.
The only edge connected CPC was the 6128 (And later the Plus)

You mean "The only Centronics Schneider was the 6128" :)

Bryce.

ivarf

Quote from: Bryce on 09:33, 27 June 14

Bryce.
No Schneider CPC 464s with centronic connectors either?

Bryce

No, the Schneider 464 has edge connectors.

Bryce.