News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GX4000 article from The Pixel Empire

Started by ComSoft6128, 07:27, 16 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

fano

QuoteThe machine could technically stand side-by-side with the Mega Drive and SNES
Sorry but no, GX may compete with SMS but no more, MD is very more capable.I don't technicaly know a lot about SNES but GX doesn't stand.
Amstrad did a lot of stupid things with GX, as i remember they didn't allow more than 128K cartridge.
GX still waits for its ultimate game, the one that will show how the console can be good, i hope it will come...
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

asertus

Quote from: fano on 08:20, 17 April 18
GX still waits for its ultimate game, the one that will show how the console can be good, i hope it will come...

Maybe Prehistorik 2?? Not sure if it was released also in cartridge for GX4000, but it should work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoWHkuI-REQ

fano

Quote from: asertus on 10:15, 17 April 18

Maybe Prehistorik 2?? Not sure if it was released also in cartridge for GX4000, but it should work...

Sorry, but it is far to be the ultimate game for GX.Afaik, it is only for 128K ram (so 6128+).By ultimate, i was thinking to game with a gameplay and content comparable to NES (or some SMS) with GX specifities , something comparable to C64 'Mayhem in Monsterland' or 'Sam's Journey'.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

chinnyhill10

Quote from: asertus on 10:15, 17 April 18

Prehistorik 2 has to make lots of compromises to retain CPC compatibility. When there is a lot of sprites on screen the speed is terrible which wouldn't happen if the game was Plus only. Also the scrolling is somewhat of a bodge again to make it work on a standard CPC.

It's held up as an example of a great CPC game. In actual fact while a technical feat, the speed problem really lets it down.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

tjohnson

I had a play on prehistork 2 and didn't think much of it.  Certainly wouldn't be on my list of top games.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

You can have 512KB cartridges (4mbit as they would write in the console world).

Technically, with some logic, you could support more via on-cart bankswitching and reserving some memory addresses for signalling to the logic to remap memory (reads from certain addresses, for example). Probably how the C4CPC gets signalled to do things. Obviously, the C4CPC would never support a game cart using this mechanism as it only has 512KB of RAM for the current cart. I guess you could swap out sections in the C4CPC memory, but there would be a little latency for the controller to do that work (once the firmware supported it), maybe that would be the pattern to go for for large cart support.

It would be nice to see a game that did make full use of the hardware, in particular the scrolling, the sprites, and the 512KB capacity.