GX4000 mod Photo and Video (before I install disk interface ;-) )

Started by Badstarr, 21:29, 21 January 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Badstarr

Since MacDeath asked I have added some visual "proof" of my madness. Not massively exciting but I'm doing the last checks on the disk interface (which you might be able to see behind the TV) before I solder it in! Anyway here we go...

gx4000 - Computer.m4v - YouTube

[attachimg=1]
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

McKlain

robcfg

Man, you're definitely mad  ;)

But you should see Deepfb's 6128+ with integrated Symbiface II and HxC floppy emulator....  ;D

Bryce

Cool, what's your next project? Converting your sisters bicycle into an Airbus A380 ? :D

Bryce.

Badstarr

LOL! I think my sisters would be quite amused by that, as when I was a kid I used to modify their bikes or use their toys as a spare parts source. I once removed the second tape deck from their karaoke machine to replace the damaged one in  my midi hifi, they didn't notice for over a year!  :laugh:   
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

beaker

I remember reading about the mod back in Amstrad Action - great seeing the mod in the flesh and where you are with it, well done  :D

MacDeath

Just a detail, you can't close your GX4000 ?

;)

Anyway, if it works it's so bad it's good... and it's not bad to begin with...

Such Hack for a GX4000 wasn't tried for a too long time that we believed it was a legend...

Obviously it is not, but I would have prefered Amstrad put some extra connectic from the begining so the GX4000 would be a Console upgradable into a 464.

(= Extension port, Tape port and keyboard port...)

Also this console was 2 years too late too.

to get a GX that can be closed... perhaps find 4 Plastic/metal plates/slates...

That should be properly filed and re-cut, and glued into a frame so you can get the GX with an extra vertical thickness...
This could be done to fill perfectly between the 2 casing parts (sandwich style)

Then perhaps some long vises... (because the clips won't work no more...)

Sadly the Cartridge port would no more work properly.

Bryce

That depends on the size of the hammer he uses :D

I think many of his mods are just for test purposes at the moment, he will need to tidy a few things up to get it all to fit inside and close properly.

Bryce.

Badstarr

Bryce is right, there will be a fair bit of tidying to do once I have everything up and running, it should be fairly tidy, the disk interface itself is a rats nest of wires and perf board but once I know it's all working I will be tidying that up too. I can close the case of the GX4000 though if you watch the video you should be able to see  :D . I made the photo of the case open just in case anyone thought I was just using a sawn off 464 to make it look like the GX4000 had been modded. I did type |GAME to start up Burnin Rubber but the camera ran out of battery just as it switched to it loL!

Bryce

How did you make the drive controller? Is it just a DDI-1 copy or what controller IC and schematic did you use?

Bryce.

Badstarr

I used the plus CPU schematic on the wiki, so it's basically a copy of the PLUS drive interface, I considered making a copy of the DDI-1 interface but it used a data separator that I couldn't find at the time. So I'm using an SED9240 and a NECZ765. I haven't populated the IC sockets with them yet, that will be part of my final pre flight check before firing it all up. I have a few more connections to the main PCB to make then the drive interface can be plugged in then a deep breath, cross of fingers and a test run with a drive attached! I will be doing this when I'm next off work. Everyone think happy thoughts!  ;D

steve

You could put it all in a big ugly PC Tower case as many Amiga users have done. ;D

Bryce

Half the fun/challenge is beating it into that small GX case!

Bryce.

Badstarr

Indeed! lol! I hate those lazy "straight into a pc case" mods, mind you I had almost resigned myself to chucking it all into the 464 case, that is until I cut up the perf board into smaller more manageable chunks, I think I have worked out how it will all fit in now, not sure I will manage to cram the HxC into it (do need to order one soon). Once I know it's all working I will install the disk interface in the GX case just waiting on some heat shrink tubing to use in place of that horrible tape too. I was going to wire the interface into the cartridge socket but instead I'm going to solder it into a IC socket, then place it in the Z80 socket and then plug the CPU back in simples! and easy to remove should I need to  :D

beaker

Quote from: Badstarr on 17:39, 23 January 12
Indeed! lol! I hate those lazy "straight into a pc case" mods

Probably wouldn't fit but a Mac G4 Cube would look cool with the cartridge socket relocated to the top of the case and would go well with your iMac in the video  :D

How are you still using the Apple mouse? I tried my Mighty Mouse for a month or so before it went straight in the bin.

Badstarr

A G4 cube would be pretty cool I suspect that the case might just be a tad too small for the GX4000 mainboard but I would really like to see an amalgamation of my two favourite computers rolled into one shiney case! Shame that the G4 cubes are so darned expensive, I do have another GX4000 that might receive some mod treatment too at a later date. I suppose its not entirely outside the realm of possibility to cut a GX4000 into two pieces and wire it all back together, would take a lot of time though!

As for the Mighty Mouse, I actually quite like it, the roller ball is really good for navigating web pages and certain Amstrad Schematics lol! Though, sometimes it gets gummed up and you have to roll it around on a clean piece of paper to clean it. My only criticism is that sometimes you go to right click and end up opening Dashboard which gets a little tedious!