News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GX4000, what to do with it?

Started by Optimus, 10:50, 27 November 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Optimus

So, I bought a GX4000 with Burning Rubber, need to find more games, but are expensive and can't find most of the titles on ebay. And most of them as I remember them on emulator, I didn't liked them.

Is there some hardware or something, a cartidge where I can copy emulator images or something?
Can the GX4000 in some way run also CPC+ demos?

Also, I use the tv-cable, but I get some jumping line sometimes. I know the console has a scart, and I tried to use a scart from my playstation but doesn't display signal. Do I need a specific kind of scart cable?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Optimus on 10:50, 27 November 13
So, I bought a GX4000 with Burning Rubber, need to find more games, but are expensive and can't find most of the titles on ebay. And most of them as I remember them on emulator, I didn't liked them.
What about the best ones? Pang, Switchblade and Navy Seals?

Is there some hardware or something, a cartidge where I can copy emulator images or something?
There are various methods.

One method involves hacking an existing cart and putting a EPROM or Flash on it.
Both of which need to be programmed from PC using programmer hardware.

Another involves a flash cart on a board that sits between the eprom and the computer (the man-in-the-middle).

You may have a bit of luck with a CTC-AY cart which can be programmed from CPC. But need to verify it will override the roms in a cart.

Can the GX4000 in some way run also CPC+ demos?
I doubt it, because most will be using 128k RAM. GX4000 has only 64k ram.
There may be some that will run in 64k, but then you'll need to get them onto a cart - No$cash's tool can help there, I have some other tools which I will release one day, but these need more programmer interaction.

Don't give up though more stuff is on it's way - I hacked Stryker to work on GX4000 and more is probably on the way soon.

Also, I use the tv-cable, but I get some jumping line sometimes. I know the console has a scart, and I tried to use a scart from my playstation but doesn't display signal. Do I need a specific kind of scart cable?
I always use a RF cable or a Plus monitor. Both work fine.
I've not seen this problem.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Munchausen

Add some more RAM, an FDD controller and a keyboard, and you've got yourself a 6128+ :D

So Bryce, how's your FDD controller going? When it's done it will make GX4000 conversions much easier!

dragon

QuoteAnother involves a flash cart on a board that sits between the eprom and the computer (the man-in-the-middle).

But man in the middle is not an option, if you no know how construct a pcb :( .

So the best is buy burning rubber at 8e, and canibalize it.

In the other hand The trade in post games are not expensive only 9.

http://www.myciti.es/shop.php?parent_id=199&user_id=100009
http://www.tradeinpost.com/www.tradeinpost.com/gx4000.txt

Optimus

Wow, I didn't know that trading post site. I was just looking at ebay.
Yep, some are good, I remember switchblade on old CPC. And Pang version must be great too. It's only that the best ones are hard to find.
Robocop 2 or Navy Seals had good scrolling, but I found them hard to play. But still I might consider buying, just to see the capabilities of the console.
I didn't know the console had only 64k, I thought it was closer to the 6128+

Anyway, good find!

Optimus

Is this tradingpost safe? There is a crappy form where you put your card number and the things you want to buy on your own. What?
Well, I did. And I am a bit afraid about it. I just got a message "Thank you. It has been sent"

Did you buy something from this before?

p.s. Then again, I found a scart to scart cable from poundland and it works like a charm. Yey!

dragon

Yes, is safety, i buy part of my collectión here time ago. I contact he first to ask shipping cost and i pay with paypal.  0 problems with cartridges. I never use the form really only hotmail. :) .

PD: klax and no exit are csd type cartridges.

PD2: another good site to buy is priceminister.com I can send you a Protection if you want, so with lucky you gain 7e discount to buy a gx4000 game, and with lucky i gain 7e to buy another burnin rubber in priceminister :) . I only need your email.

ralferoo

I have Pang, it's awesome! :)

It's one of the very few retro games I still play even now. Mr Do! on MAME is another, I'd love to get the arcade board sometime... :)

arnoldemu

Quote from: Optimus on 19:43, 27 November 13
Is this tradingpost safe?
Yes it is.

I don't use the form - no need I am in the UK. I have sent a cheque and a letter before. They are always reliable.

My games. My Games

Optimus

Maybe I should contact too.
I just didn't understand the point of the form (it only asks me to give the card number in front but not the small number in the back, it's not gonna work).
Maybe I shouldn't just give these. I was scared yesterday that it was a scam. Anyway..

nitrofurano

and, for example, how can we patch the games from Amstrad CPC 16KBs ROM Game Development Competition 2013 - CPCWiki to run on gx4000? and how can we create, like from Pasmo, stuff for that, .cpr files ready to run on emulators like Mess?

nitrofurano

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:04, 27 November 13
Don't give up though more stuff is on it's way - I hacked Stryker to work on GX4000 and more is probably on the way soon.

if you could help doing this on Mojon Twin's ones, would be amazing!

MacDeath

Those mojon twins games in mode1 could use some Hardsprites and raster palette changes... would really look great.

Lala the magical prologue per example... Sir Abitemolle** and so on...

Otherwise I see no point to port those on GX4000 Cartridges.

They would be just perfectly fit for some plus addon : the 16x6 sprites are limited so the GX/PLUS could really get its sprites at work on this.
Those would be Mode1 Games with nice colourfull feeling then.

**spéciale dédicace aux francophones...

arnoldemu

Quote from: nitrofurano on 12:10, 12 December 13
and, for example, how can we patch the games from Amstrad CPC 16KBs ROM Game Development Competition 2013 - CPCWiki to run on gx4000? and how can we create, like from Pasmo, stuff for that, .cpr files ready to run on emulators like Mess?
There is no one way to patch a game to make it work on cartridge. Each game is different so each patch will be different.

It is easier if a game doesn't use firmware or basic, most of the hard work is done.

We must then patch it to load from cartridge (using my cartridge filesystem for example) and make sure it can be controlled with joysticks.
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: nitrofurano on 12:11, 12 December 13

if you could help doing this on Mojon Twin's ones, would be amazing!
these *may* be more easy because the code is available. In these we must alter the code to work better for plus.

I plan to patch some more games in the new year.
My games. My Games

MacDeath

Anyway, where is the kickstarter to get those new GX4000 produced ?

Would need :
=ACID equivalent
=Cards
=other components
= plastic casing.

who goes ?

arnoldemu

I could help with making inlay and booklet.

My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: arnoldemu on 21:59, 30 December 13
I could help with making inlay and booklet.
My attempt at re-creating the plus cartridge label. This is a fictional label ;)

Made using LibreOffice:
http://www.cpctech.org.uk/plus_cart_label.odt

I have setup a label document.
I have setup the 3 text areas in a way that the text can be entered and it will be rotated as appropiate.
I have added a text area for the spine with a red-white gradient on it, with 2 text areas for the copyright and the main name.

So in theory this could be printed and put direct onto a cart.

This assumes standard sized cart design.

I purposely made it look like a cart you would normally get.

PDF:
http://www.cpctech.org.uk/plus_cart_label.pdf
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

NOTE: When viewing the cartridge label in the pdf, you can't see the actual size of it :( I thought the pdf may be the correct size I defined, but it's got extra white space.
The manual appears ok as a pdf.

My attempt at a manual for a cart game. Uses the same dimensions as the original manual.

http://www.cpctech.org.uk/plus_cart_manual.odt
http://www.cpctech.org.uk/plus_cart_manual.pdf

For both of these you could use them to create your own if you wanted. I have setup the page styles but not the paragraph styles.

Now, I don't know what to do about the inlay for the box. I could go with original size, or I could go with VHS.
I also thought, for how long would we be able to get VHS sized boxes?

EDIT: Not sure how to tell libreoffice to print it in a way that can be put together with a stapler in the same way that the original manuals are done.
I will need to research that.
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:22, 11 January 14
My attempt at re-creating the plus cartridge label. This is a fictional label ;)
OR is actually fact?
My games. My Games

MacDeath

sorry but booklets and labels are not a priority...
But thx anyway. ::)

would be better to have :
=PCB design/blueprint in format needed to launch a production.
=components list : of course we aim at cost efficiency a bit, so a stack can be purchased.
=blueprint in 3D for the casing, also it would be cool that this were compatible with plastic mold/injection standards of production.

with those 3 elements, we may then put a price on the thing.

But I guess it would need something like 1000 pieces to have almost interesting prices... so it needs a quite large amount of money to begin...

if such things are available, then perhaps some coders would produce some specific games, had enough CPC ports...

a stack of 1000 blank cartridges (or the elements to be assembled) could enable like 10 games produced at 100 pieces each.
on long term it could sell all if products are of good quality.

I mean, lots of "professional collectionners" do have a GX4000. an average yet good enough game could sell at 50 units minimum easily.

and having 512K cartridges would enable huge use of overscan screens, some sampled sounds and so on...

arnoldemu

Quote from: MacDeath on 14:04, 29 January 14
sorry but booklets and labels are not a priority...
Yes I understand, but it's also true that there is not yet many new cart games released.

It now means there is less of "we don't have any games/manuals/labels released, so why bother making the pcbs/cases".
We now have at least one game (stryker) with more to follow from me, a template for a booklet and a template for a label.
In my way I am trying to push it towards a physical release.

So I will continue to release games on cartridge, each game will have a cartridge release, but each will differ in how much of the plus features I choose to use. Each time I make a cartridge release I will try to use more plus features. It is harder work to go back and add plus features to a released game. Better to plan their use when you make it.

I *will* be releasing a cart version of Blue Angel 69. I do have one ready but not using plus features. it uses my cart filesystem, it uses 256K cartridge (not compressed). It's the disc version, compatible with GX4000 but of course without any "loading" messages.

I will use 2 plus features in it but not more I would rather make use of more plus features in my next release.

My games. My Games

MacDeath

if it only uses 256K then go for a 2 games cartridge... ;)

arnoldemu

Quote from: MacDeath on 17:37, 29 January 14
if it only uses 256K then go for a 2 games cartridge... ;)
I know what you're saying is the best:
* use full 512k
* make it for plus

Both of these will take me too long at this time. So i will continue to release smaller carts and build up to 512k.
I can't commit to a 512k only plus game at this time - I am far too busy.
My games. My Games