News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GX4000

Started by Beaps, 00:02, 13 September 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaps

Hi all

I picked up a gx4000 today with no games. Checked out eBay but the games are more expensive than I paid for the unit boxed lol.

Been reading about this multicart or a way of burning games to EPROMs and sticking them in a socket on a cart.

My question is.

Is anyone selling this multicart
Has anyone got a game to sell me to test the unit works
Is it possible to burn any game I.e 'head over heels' to the EPROM and run that?

Thanks guys
B

CraigsBar

- I picked up a gx4000 today with no games. Checked out eBay but the games are more expensive than I paid for the unit boxed lol.

Hmm, Boxed? Did it include Burning Rubber?

- Been reading about this multicart or a way of burning games to EPROMs and sticking them in a socket on a cart.

Depending on your soldering skills yes, that is easily done, Carefully unsolder the eprom, replace it with a socket and dremel a suitable hole in the cart top.

As you have a GX4000 you could probably use a ZIF socket to make changing eproms easier.

- My question is.
- Is anyone selling this multicart

Bryce made them, But I am not sure he has any PCB's left - I think I got the last one

- Has anyone got a game to sell me to test the unit works

Trade in post have some left. 7.99 each (TRADE IN POST - KEY CUTTING, ENGRAVING, WATCH BATTERIES, PHOTOCOPYING, RUBBER)

- Is it possible to burn any game I.e 'head over heels' to the EPROM and run that?

Yes and No! Most games will require extensive recoding to run from Cart (Arnoldemu has had some successes & his BlueAngel 69 cart conversion is great) small more simple games can be done with No$Cart (http://problemkaputt.de/no$cart.htm) I did my Titus the Fox that way.

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Trebmint

Really Tradinpost still have carts at 7.99?? I'm suprized as people have been selling them for silly amounts of Ebay for years. Would have thought they had been mined by now

dragon

Yes he sell it.

The other cheap method is in priceminister.fr  Because if you invite a friend, The gift 7e to her first buy and other 7e for you. And sometiemes appear burnin rubbers at 7e. So with lucky you practically get the game free.

:).   

arnoldemu

Craig is correct. A lot of games need modification to work well on gx4000. They need to run with 64k ram. They need to be started from joystick and use p key for pause. A lot of CPC games have a menu where you need to press a key to start including when playing from joystick. If the game is a multi load it needs patching to load from ROM.

No$cart uses a modified disc ROM, but this can't be activated on gx4000.

I believe some ROM games could work, but I didn't get it working fully yet. But the same problem remains with menus. I have patched three games so far to work fully on gx4000.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

CraigsBar

Quote from: Trebmint on 09:59, 13 September 14
Really Tradinpost still have carts at 7.99?? I'm suprized as people have been selling them for silly amounts of Ebay for years. Would have thought they had been mined by now
7.99 and yes.

I bought 5 donor carts there last month.... 3 of which are now destined for Fluff, 1 has Blue Angel 69 on it and one is spare (For now) ;)

If Anyone wants any Pro Tennis Tour (eprom only) then I have 5 spare, since they are 27c1001 and I am flashing new stuff onto my stock of brand new 27c2001 chips I am not bothering to wipe them.

Craig

Beaps

OK I go a EPROM burner and a Donor cart but I have a few questions.

- Where can I find the images ready to burn
- What EPROMS do I need

THANKS!
B

CraigsBar

Quote from: Beaps on 11:17, 20 September 14
- Where can I find the images ready to burn
That depends on what you want. If you want the original 20 or so games then they are available online (For example here: GX4000/CPC+ Games)

- What EPROMS do I need

Anything from 27c1001 - 27c4001 work fine. As far as I know ALL retail games fit onto 1001's

Craig

Beaps

Sorry I must be going blind lol, thanks

CraigsBar

Quote from: Beaps on 12:28, 20 September 14
Sorry I must be going blind lol, thanks
You will need CPRTools (Also available on that website) to convert between CPR (for emulators) and BIN (for burning to eprom) images