News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

helllllllllllllllp bryce pls with megarom

Started by FRAGKI-2012, 03:03, 05 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

FRAGKI-2012

hello Bryce Is possible to help me about mega rom?? I make a clone from cpcwiki but not working!!!!!
I make exact like the site but in to the 50 pin edge I solder trough the 50 edge pcb connector !!
when I m going to plug the cpc freezes   and stop to work !!
I takeout the rom 128 and is working but the speaker make sounds but is in a full command working condition cat,icpm,ib,ia,etc
can you help me??? I can also not understand the paragraph that you say to put a switch    internal for the rom 7 me I only create the pcb and I solder the components nothing else!!!! is something else that I must make  to work the megarom ??? ?
I want to put the future os in my cpc any help is very important to me!!! thanks in advace !!!!

Bryce

Hi Fragki,
    I answered your PM, but I'll repeat it here anyway:

First make sure that the jumpers 1 and 2 are set correctly so that the MegaROM slots 0 and 7 are disabled. When you say it freezes, do you mean you get a black screen, or is it blue with some text appearing but then resetting?

For FOS you don't need to use ROM 7 on the MegaROM, so the paragraph about the internal disabling of ROM 7 aren't important at the moment, you don't need to make these changes.

Could you take some pictures of the MegaROM PCB top and bottom side and possibly a picture of the screen when is freezes and post them here in this thread, this might help solve the problem faster.

Bryce.

FRAGKI-2012

THANKS BUT THE PROBLEM CONTINUES MABY IS THAT I MUST PUT THE INTERNAL SWITCH BUT TELL ME PLS WHAT PINS I MUST CUT AND PUT THE SWITCH
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

MacDeath

Bryce

As I said in the PM. It should work without any internal modifications, so there's an error somewhere on the MegaROM. We need to solve that first. I doubt it would work, even if you made the internal changes.

A few pictures of the device might help.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: FRAGKI-2012 on 03:03, 05 January 13
I want to put the future os in my cpc any help is very important to me!!! thanks in advace !!!!
Hi! Well, I can't help with the hardware, but Bryce hopefully. About FutureOS: Usually you place the ROMs A, B, C and D at ROM positions 10, 11, 12 and 13 respectively. They do not interfere with any other ROM / DOS / OS. If you have any questions let me know.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

FRAGKI-2012

[/URL][/img]    [/URL][/img] maybe is now better to help me !!!!!

Bryce

Wow! I didn't realise you'd actually etched your own PCB. Impressive work! Even in the big pictures it's hard to see all the details. Have you checked that no tracks are shorted? Otherwise it can only be a bad solder joint. I thought you had hand wired it, then mis-connections would be possible, but with the PCB, all connections should be correct.

I've uploaded the Higher Res pictures here for all to see (I'm not a fan of Imageshack links)

Bryce.

Bryce

I've taken a closer look at the bottom of the PCB. There's a few points where the tracks are very close to solder points. You need to check that there are no unwanted connections where this occurs. I've marked a few examples on the picture below, but you should generally inspect the PCB and make sure no shorts are happening where a track is close to a solder point.

To make things slightly easier / quicker for you: I'm pretty sure that it's not a data bus track or address bus track that has the problem. It's very likely one of the outputs from IC3, IC4 or IC5.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Heh, this looks appropriately steampunk! :)

Thanks for bringing the pics in, Bryce!

TFM

Well, I just hope that the problem is not located underneath some of the components already soldered on the PCB.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

It's a single sided PCB, with just a few wire links under the ICs. So it could easily be repaired, even if the mistake was there, but I doubt it is.

Bryce.

TFM

If often happens that the lead runs from one pin to another underneeth some parts. So you have a connection wher you don't want one.
TFM of FutureSoft

FRAGKI-2012

unfortunately I check thousand times the circuits before bother you and a few times after your last reply but nothing!!!! the only I cant say is if I m take out the eprom is working with some sounds in the speaker!!![only the eprom from the megarom not the megarom from cpc]
and if I put the eprom the problem appears any suggestions???

TFM

Can the problem be the EPROM itself? Did you try another one?

Or could the problem be the content or the EPROM. (If enabled) you need the BASIC at ROM positon 0.

Ok, you probably checked it already, but I got no better idea. Except measure for shortcuts on the PCB. But I'm sure, that you did that several times.
TFM of FutureSoft

FRAGKI-2012

the problem solved!!! I was the connector that mixing the lines!!! I make a cable and now it is fully working!!! as I cant easily find the edge connector for cpc I make a mod see the pictures below!!!
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/img0659eu.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3375/img06611a.jpg

Bryce

Interesting solution. Glad it works though!

Bryce.

TFM

Good to see, it took a well end. After burning of the EPROM it's a good thing to get its crystal glass window covered, so that no light can go in.
TFM of FutureSoft