News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

*UPDATED* - Keyboard issues.

Started by oorenfoo, 12:33, 06 July 13

Previous topic - Next topic

oorenfoo

Hello, all. Although this is my first post, I feel already know some of you a little from reading through many of the posts on the forum. Creepy? Yes, a little. But, moving on.

About a week ago, I acquired an Amstrad CPC 464, just like the one I had in my childhood. Needless to say, I was super excited. I immediately ordered some text adventures offline and, when they arrived, leapt into action. Or at least I tried to...

...It was apparent that the CPC had been a computer far beyond my childish brain, and I had probably had help starting games. I searched the net, found the correct commands and input them.

RUN"

Press play and then any key.

I pressed play and then any key...a big sound...but nothing much else.

I wept a little. Them, fighting back the tears, I decided I would mot abandon hope and search the world wide web for advice. I read somewhere, that was here, that it may be in need of a belt change. I took apart the shell, extremely carefully, and found that the belt was in fact very loose and slipping on the wheels. I ordered a new belt. Today it arrived.

Now, me and my Amstrad sit at a crossroads. It tempting me to dive in and 'give it a go' and my head telling me to seek out more knowledgeable people than myself to guide me through the process.

I beg of you. Help me, CPCWiki. You're my only hope.

steve

Welcome to our little community, I have not yet had the pleasure of changing the tape belt but I am sure someone who has will be along to give you all the help you could possibly want. :D

TomEtJerry

Hello,

I have already changed the belt of the Datacorder of a CPC 464. Ilt's not quite complicated but there are many screw to remove.
If you take your time, there is no real bad luck to destroy something (just be careful with soldered wires).

I am not sure there is a "do it yourself" article available on the net. My advice, take photos at each step of the process.

T&J/GPA

oorenfoo

Thanks, Steve! :-)

TerI, I didn't take pictures...but, I did manage to change the belt, having only removed three screws.

The best part? My CPC now runs like a dream. Rigel's Revenge...you are mine!

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

oorenfoo

oorenfoo

Okay...so I loaded up Kobyashi Naru to find the up arrow button isn't responding at all.

Any ideas? :-(

Gryzor

Awww heart-warming story :) Welcome, mate, hope you get there in the end!

Regarding the Up Arrow, since no other keys have such issues (correct?), it shouldn't be too complicated. If you still have it open, check the contact under the specific key. It could be as simple as grime having piled up over the years. If that doesn't work, trace the key's line on the membrane, maybe it's broken at some point (easy to fix)?

Again, welcome. We hope you stay :)

oorenfoo

I'm sure I have some spare time lying around somewhere that could be used as forum time. ;)

As for the arrow - correct, only the one key!

I'll take it apart again and have a looksie, but to be honest I'm completely new to this so I'll probably ending killing either me or the CPC. :/

Wish me luck.

Gryzor

Not really, taking the keyboard apart is really easy, especially on the 464 where the keyboard connector is not part of the membrane but rather a wire set and so can't be easily broken.

Luck! :)

steve

Quote from: oorenfoo on 19:25, 06 July 13
.............. I'll probably ending killing either me or the CPC. :/

Wish me luck.

Don't worry, CPC's are built like tanks. :laugh:

oorenfoo

Okay, Gryzor, about to begin. First thing I am worried about...I am sat on my bed...is static a risk and how can I prevent it affecting the 464? I have placed the unit off the duvet, on a wooden stool, to work on it...but still worry I may transfer static by hand.

oorenfoo

Quote from: steve on 21:59, 06 July 13
Don't worry, CPC's are built like tanks. :laugh:

Oh, great. That just leaves... :(

oorenfoo

Okaaaaay...

- Case opened.
- Keyboard separated.
- Now stuck. The keyboard buttons and the clear 'membrane' (no?) are both dirty as hell.

What should I use to clean then?

oorenfoo

Okay. Decided to go ahead with cleansing wipes (no bleach), cotton buds and a whole lot of care. When I took out the keyboard, I was confronted with this -

This many cotton buds later -

I was left with a spanking new looking keyboard. So, I put it back to together, carefully, and hoped for the best. Stuck in Kobyashu Naru...waited for it load...hit left from inventory, down from select...then tensely pressed the up key...

...nothing...

:'(

So, the only other thing mentioned was a problem with the line...At this point, I admit I'm lost.

Here is a close up -

If anyone could help, Id greatly appreciate it! :(

My only alternative is a Joystick. =/

Gryzor

Wow that was a dirty keyboard...

Well, the trace seems to be in pretty bad shape in the upper left corner of the picture? Is that cleaned? Because it doesn't look like it... what's that brown stuff?

Oh, also, you don't need to load a game to test the arrow keys, they work in the full-screen editor as well (when you boot the machine), upon Sugar's insistence.

Lazy Dude

Also my favourite cleaning product is WD40 (spray can of oil just in case not all countries have that product!)
it breaks down all dirt and most adhesives & wipes clean for a shiney finish
have you tried pressing the up key by touching the membrane directly, also what state is the underside of the physical spring button in?

Bryce

WD40 on a membrane isn't a good idea. It full of other chemicals that aren't good for membranes. I mentioned this is one of the other threads, but I'll repeat it here: WD40 ISN'T just an oil. There's some pretty aggressive chemicals in there, that definitely won't do your CPC any favours.

Normal soap and water and a soft cloth. It definitely shouldn't look like it does in that close-up when you are finished. The problem is most likely still just a problem with dirt on the membrane.

Bryce.

oorenfoo

Hey, all! Thanks for the responses. To clarify, those close-ups were pre-cleaning. I didn't take a picture post-clean...something that I now realise was very stupid. Will take it apart again after work tonight and post up a new pic.

Gryzor

Lazy Dude

Quote from: Bryce on 08:37, 08 July 13
WD40 on a membrane isn't a good idea. It full of other chemicals that aren't good for membranes. I mentioned this is one of the other threads, but I'll repeat it here: WD40 ISN'T just an oil. There's some pretty aggressive chemicals in there, that definitely won't do your CPC any favours.

Normal soap and water and a soft cloth. It definitely shouldn't look like it does in that close-up when you are finished. The problem is most likely still just a problem with dirt on the membrane.

Bryce.

hmm lucky all mine had was fluff then! I used the WD40 on the buttons to remove the crud/sweat/gunk and applied to all the steel springs. Seeing how it does rapidly break down adhesives I see your point for not using it on something as delicate as the membrane.