News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Help finding connector name

Started by pacomix, 09:57, 22 August 17

Previous topic - Next topic

pacomix

I'm trying to find the exact name of the female CP001 connector found in the original Amstrad CPC 464 Z70100 [http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Mainboard_Versions#/media/File:CPC464_PCB_Top_(Z70100)_GA40007-4.jpg] motherboard and the medium size one Z70375 MC0044D [http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Mainboard_Versions#/media/File:CPC464_PCB_Top_(Z70375_MC0044D).jpg]

I don't want to cannibalize another cassette connector for some tests I want to do in the CP001 port and wanted to order a couple of those female connectors with some cable attached if possible.

Forearm thanks!!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Bryce

I searched long and hard for these connectors a long time ago, but I never found them. Luckily, the pin pitch is standard, so the easiest solution is to replace both sides of the connector with something more easily available.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

So, I am not the only one that tried to find those and couldn´t!

Lazy Dude

@bryce is right suggesting a replacement both ends.
I remember spending hours searching this website for its connectors
It might be worth checking it out

https://www.rapidonline.com/connectors

pelrun

Bryce

Yes, but that connector isn't in a CPC. I'm not sure why he posted that picture. It's the connector in the second picture that he's trying to obtain.

Bryce.

pacomix

@pelrun thanks a lot for the first connector!!!
@bryce Yep. That connector is found in the original first release of the CPC board Z70100
I'm pretty sure the black one should be buried in that huge database of connectors. I guess it would be easier contacting the company for more info.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Bryce

The white connector is still extensively used on modern devices. But I doubt the black connector is still produced, it's most likely obsolete and won't be in any catalogue.

Bryce.

Lazy Dude

What I find daft is that all connectors have specific names. And if you don't know the name then you are going to have a hard time in finding it.
Maybe someone should create a connector app so you take a picture of it and it searches for a match  ;D

SerErris

Sorry for pulling up this old thread.

Anyone has a source for the white connector, at best with cabeling included?

I can still find the housing as referenced above, but I would love to have one already with cables coming out of it. 

What is the exact connector type? 

And is the spacing really 2.50mm?
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

pelrun

You won't get it as a cable assembly unless you commission a run of them. But making up the cable with the crimps and a pair of pliers isn't hard, just fiddly.

Bryce

Quote from: SerErris on 20:37, 21 October 23Sorry for pulling up this old thread.

Anyone has a source for the white connector, at best with cabeling included?

I can still find the housing as referenced above, but I would love to have one already with cables coming out of it.

What is the exact connector type?

And is the spacing really 2.50mm?

No, the spacing is actually 2.54mm. Sounds strange, but that's the standard unit size on PCB's. It's derived from mils ( 1/100 of an inch).

Bryce.

SerErris

That is what I thought as well. I am so used to 0.1" in the CPC (actually everything is 0.1" spacing), that I was pretty much surprise to see that is should be 2.50mm... The datasheet clearly says:
Centerline (Pitch): 2.5 mm [ .098 in ]

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-171822-8.datasheet.pdf

Or is Centerlin (Pitch) something different than pitch?
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books

pelrun

Bryce, you're talking about the conventional unit size on PCBs, but this *specific connector* is explicitly 2.50mm, *not* 2.54mm. It's not a typo, and it's unlikely you'd notice across ten pins unless you take the calipers to it.

Bryce

Quote from: pelrun on 04:18, 23 October 23Bryce, you're talking about the conventional unit size on PCBs, but this *specific connector* is explicitly 2.50mm, *not* 2.54mm. It's not a typo, and it's unlikely you'd notice across ten pins unless you take the calipers to it.

That's weird and unfortunate if you didn't notice. The .04 difference would actually make the connector quite hard to fit if you used the standard spacing.

Bryce.

SerErris

And then it will not fit the CPC.

Because the CPC connector IS actually 2.54mm pitch.

I measured theoutline of two pins with 3.2mm and the inline with 1.9mm. That gives us a pin width of 0.65mm and therefore a spacing between two pins of 3.2mm - 0.65mm = 2.55mm, which is within the measurement accuracy close enough to 2.54mm.

Also the outline of all 8 pins is measured 18.3mm. Again I need to remove one pin 0,65 - which gives me 18.3-0.65mm=17,65mm. Divided by 7 will give me 2.52mm, which is within measurement and production tolerance of 2.54 mm.
2.52 can be as well within measurement tolerance to also point to a 2.50 pitch over all the pins. Also if the out spacing of two Pins is more like 3.15-3.16 and the inner is like 1.88-1.9mm then we end up with 2.5mm spacing. It is so close that it is within tolerance of measurements, pin bending of the old connector and production tolerances ..

As in many times after all the measurement I am now more unsure about what spacing the actual connector on the CPC is.
I have ordered a few of this connector and will check if it fits the board.

SerErris

I got the mail from Digikey today and the connectors and Crimp-Pins are in it.

This is the absolute correct connector a 100% match to the original and fits like a glove.

So the spacing of the connector is really 2.50 mm and not 2.54mm.

See pics attached for my self build power connector for maintenance work.

I will add a ground wire now as well, as I then can power the board without the barrel connector very easy from a bench supply.

SerErris

I found one more evidence that this is 2.5mm spacing. It is literally written in the Service Manual, right here:

You cannot view this attachment.