News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hi, new 6128 owner with a question!

Started by loco, 19:10, 15 May 11

Previous topic - Next topic

loco

Hi folks, I've actually owned several CPCs over the years, and loved modding my old 6128, so not sure why I ever got rid - but hey ho, I learnt my lesson and it won't happen again ;-)

I have just got hold of a 6128 with nothing else included. Don't want a dedicated monitor taking space so will make a SCART cable, which leaves PSU to consider.

I understand I can run it using a PC power supply but am thinking 'bulk + fan noise' so was wondering if something like this would also be suitable?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-5V-AC-Adapter-HARD-DISK-DRIVE-Power-Supply-/330561679160?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item4cf702ef38#ht_5062wt_812

It apparently delivers 12V & 5V @ @2A

It's not just the price that appealed, it's the size. But perhaps the price is an indicator of the quality...  :D 

And it seems it's the exact thing people are selling :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amstrad-CPC-6128-external-power-supply-PSU-/280668091413?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item41591f3415

Really dumb question but is there a quick way to check using a multimeter if a PSU is supplying enough amps?

Bryce

Hi Loco,
     welcome to the forum. Firstly, yes, that supply will work fine, several others here use similar devices. And, no, there's no way of measuring the output capacity of the supply without actually putting a 2Amp load on it and then checking whether it survives. Regarding the price: You get what you pay for. I have owned several of these and had several of them die on me, but what do you expect for that price. The 6128 doesn't need anything close to 2Amps, so the supply isn't being fully loaded anyway.

Bryce.

Gryzor

If you think you can spend a little extra, you can go for this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMSTRAD-CPC-6128-Professional-Scart-TV-Connection-Kit-/250820161566?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item3a660bf01e . Maybe a bit more complex, but I have one and it works like a charm...

Jase

Hope I'm not too late...

I got two of these with the hope of using it to power my 6128. On paper it should work, but...

They were awful. The 12v output was woeful, and often resulted in disk read errors. When I used the 12v from my modulator, the drive worked fine again.

I then tried it to power a router (12v @0.9a) with one of them. 10 mins later the adapter blew.

Both went into the bin

If I'm too late with word of warning, then I hope you have better luck than I did!

Gryzor

Really? I've bought a few items from him and they were great. He's  really nice guy, you should have tried contacting him...

Jase

Quote from: Gryzor on 06:27, 20 May 11
Really? I've bought a few items from him and they were great. He's  really nice guy, you should have tried contacting him...
I didn't mean to say retro-computer shack is poor. I was referring to the original item suggested.
I suppose with hind-sight, it does look like I am flaming a really good ebayer. I'm not.

It was the original 5v/12v disk drive item suggested I was saying was useless.

Sorry for any confusion!

Gryzor

Ah, ok, I was worried there for a minute because I've had a totally different experience myself...