News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Homebrew Edge Connectors

Started by Bryce, 21:08, 03 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi all,
    this is not purely CPC related, but might be useful here too. I was explaining to someone lately how to make their own edge connectors (they needed a custom size). I didn't have one to show at the time, but I made one tonight and thought I'd post it here (as I can't remember who it was that asked me  :picard: ). Just in case you are wondering, this is an Amiga Zorro connector for a project I'm working on. It's made from a piece of double sided fully plated FR4 and the contacts are just made by cutting the divisions into the copper with a hacksaw.

So, to person who asked me: This is what the end result looks like.

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 21:08, 03 February 16
Hi all,
    this is not purely CPC related, but might be useful here too. I was explaining to someone lately how to make their own edge connectors (they needed a custom size). I didn't have one to show at the time, but I made one tonight and thought I'd post it here (as I can't remember who it was that asked me  :picard: ). Just in case you are wondering, this is an Amiga Zorro connector for a project I'm working on. It's made from a piece of double sided fully plated FR4 and the contacts are just made by cutting the divisions into the copper with a hacksaw.

So, to person who asked me: This is what the end result looks like.

Bryce.

Does anyone make one that converts the ports on the Plus and German models to a standard edge connector? Would be useful for those of us who own a mix of models.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TotO

I does that... But, no more Centronics plugs in stock actually.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: TotO on 23:46, 03 February 16
I does that... But, no more Centronics plugs in stock actually.  :-\

Shame. Would like a quick and tidy way to use my HxC and Multiface clone with my German 6128. Figure converter boards would stay plugged in all of the time whereas cables would get lost.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Audronic

Quote from: Bryce on 21:08, 03 February 16
Hi all,
    this is not purely CPC related, but might be useful here too. I was explaining to someone lately how to make their own edge connectors (they needed a custom size).
[size=78%]. It's made from a piece of double sided fully plated FR4 ? ? ?[/size]

Bryce.
Hi Bryce

Double Sided FR4 ? ? ? where can i obtain some Please

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

TotO

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:55, 03 February 16
Shame. Would like a quick and tidy way to use my HxC and Multiface clone with my German 6128. Figure converter boards would stay plugged in all of the time whereas cables would get lost.
Sure, I understand. My choice is to offer a tiny pins to edge adapter.
Then, peoples are free to add the wished ribbon cable on it depending of the usage. (I should receive the centronics plugs next week)
http://www.centpourcent.net/store/p89/MX4_Edge_adapter.html

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

Quote from: archcosmo on 02:22, 04 February 16
I'd prefer to spend a few $$$:

http://www.spielquader.de/50pin-Edge-Connector-Changer-for-CPC-etc

http://www.spielquader.de/Converter-Centronics-to-Card-for-CPC-series

Yes, that's fine for standards like the 50way connector, but for non-common sized connectors, making your own is the only solution.

@chinnyhill10: You mean one of these:  Expansion Converter - CPCWiki  (Also made using the hacksaw method many years ago before parts became available again).

Bryce.

fgbrain

I believe this is the same

Plus-CPC adaptor - CPCWiki

sold by WAVE in the 90s..
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

Munchausen

Quote from: Bryce on 09:08, 04 February 16
Yes, that's fine for standards like the 50way connector, but for non-common sized connectors, making your own is the only solution.

@chinnyhill10: You mean one of these:  Expansion Converter - CPCWiki  (Also made using the hacksaw method many years ago before parts became available again).

Bryce.

Also - screw holes! Really nice Bryce :)

Bryce

The tags with the holes make it easier to remove without tugging on the cable.

Bryce.

VincentGR

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 21:08, 03 February 16Just in case you are wondering, this is an Amiga Zorro connector for a project I'm working on. It's made from a piece of double sided fully plated FR4 and the contacts are just made by cutting the divisions into the copper with a hacksaw.
Nice done!  :o
I will have to build some expansions for my A2000 too...

trabitboy

Quote from: TotO on 14:01, 04 February 16
Nice done!  :o
I will have to build some expansions for my A2000 too...

do you check your battery regularly, my A3000 had a terrible accident  :picard:

TFM

Quote from: trabitboy on 14:51, 04 February 16
do you check your battery regularly, my A3000 had a terrible accident  :picard:

Never happened to my CPC since I got the RTC from @dxs  :)  Hope you can fix it!!  :) :)

But back to topic. IMHO the best is to stick with Centronics connectors and with MX4. They are reliable, while all this edge connectors love to have problems. What's your experience?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

PulkoMandy

Sullins manufactures edge connectors (both male and female) in various sizes below 50 pins. Not large enough for Amiga expansion slot but it should cover all the 8-bit needs.
The male connectors have proper terminations (its not just plain PCB) and as such they are more reliable than the cheap "just use the PCB" way.

Bryce

Quote from: fgbrain on 09:23, 04 February 16
I believe this is the same

Plus-CPC adaptor - CPCWiki

sold by WAVE in the 90s..

I didn't know there was ever a commercial version. Not bad.

@TFM: Centronics is of course the first choice, but if you want to connect original hardware like a DKTronics Speech Synth then you don't have that choice.

Amiga batteries: First thing you do when you get ANY computer with a battery inside: Remove it completely or replace it with a battery on fly-leads that can be placed a safe distance from the PCB (and below the height of the PCB too if possible).

Bryce.

TFM

Sure, for that kind of exansions you're right. Well, some of them get a Centronics adapter added (if possible). I forgot to say it of course depends how long the 'rat tail' at the expansion port becomes. Adding five expansions (all PCB) is more problematic than adding one.

Since TotO's MX4 this problem becomes smaller.  :)  And of course the solution shown by the LowerROM and the MegaFlash (nice connector between these two boards) is also a great idea, and works like a charm.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus