News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How much are CPC's worth these days??

Started by TheBuff1, 20:20, 02 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBuff1

Hello all!!

Firstly I would just like to say hi!! Been lurking along these forums now and then for a while but thought I would finally register - plus I want to ask something!!

I've always been interested in retro gaming and have relived my childhood systems (had a 464 as a child but was lumbered with a green screen!!) via emulation for years.

However, recently I have decided that I really want to own an original CPC - mainly because I want to play the real thing again and also because I've become a father for the first time in the last year and would like him to experience first hand what I played as a youngster!

Now back to the main question - I have been scouring Ebay a lot recently in search of a 464 but I can't figure out for the life of me how much they are worth - money is a bit tight due to starting a family and thus I don't want to pay over the odds. I'm after one without a monitor as I've seen you can get a SCART cable/PSU adaptor  to link to a HDTV but prices seem all over the place. I keep seeing one's untested go for around £25 + p&p but I do not want to take a risk like that.

So my question to you all is how much should I be prepared to part with??

Thanks in advance & apologies for the large post - seems I ramble on!!  :P

Bryce

Hi and welcome to the forum. For 25 quid I'd take the chance on an untested one. However, I'd recommend that you try to get yourself a 6128 instead of a 464, because software on tape is just not the right decision and the 6128 will give you more options.

Bryce.

TheBuff1

Many thanks for the reply.

Interesting I never thought about getting a 6128 - always used to dream of owning one as a kid!! How much would I be looking at roughly for one in working condition? How readily available are games on disk? Or is there an easy way to transfer dsk images from a PC to a 6128?

Guy0me

If you have great memories with the 464 i can understand and its a good machine ! But you have to forget about the tape driver..
for now you can plug a 3" 1/2 floppy drive to use floppy disk .. the second problem is that you have only 64k of memory it will sometimes a problem..
A lot of games are working with 64k anyway (lucky you)
For the scart cable yes i use it myself on LCD Tv but not in HDMI .. with Scart connexion..
About the money you can find everything on internet !! Cheaper one or expensive one but for the same CPC  ;D that is a big problem !!
Ebay is not the best choice to buy CPC.. forget it
just type Amstrad Argus on Google to find the correct prices.. for 30 euros i guess for a 464 .. 40 euros for a 6128.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: TheBuff1 on 21:58, 02 May 15
Many thanks for the reply.

Interesting I never thought about getting a 6128 - always used to dream of owning one as a kid!! How much would I be looking at roughly for one in working condition? How readily available are games on disk? Or is there an easy way to transfer dsk images from a PC to a 6128?

Sounds like you need to read my buyers guide to the Amstrad CPC.

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TheBuff1

Many thanks for your replies - I appreciate the input - especially the buyer's guide Chillyhill10 (think I follow you on Twitter ;D ). A quick look on Ebay shows that 6128s are selling between £55 broken to £110 refurbished! Think I will play it patient and not rush and buy one, there seems to be quite a few for sale now and then - probably start visiting the car boot sales too!

The floppy drive emulator seems a good way to go - a 6128 is what I will look out for then although I'll grab a 464 if I see one going cheap due to memories!

Gryzor

First of all, welcome :)

I think 110 quid is a bit too much for a 6128. I'd have said 50, but I haven't looked for one for ages so my estimates may be out of date...