News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How to wire a FD1 Cable

Started by opticpow, 14:28, 14 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

opticpow

Hi All, I've searched for an answer to this question without luck, so please point me in the right direction if I've missed it.

I have just purchased an FD1 (eventually for my 464 once a find a DDI-1) but I want to test it now on my 6128 just to confirm it works. How do I wire up a cable to connect the FD1 to my 6128 so it acts as a standard B drive.

I have an PC floppy cable that I'd like to use. It is my understanding that the drive A/B selection is taken care of as the connector on the 6128 does not have the A select line? Therefore I'd suspect all I need is a straight though cable. Is this correct, or do I still need to make one like this? http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Guide_on_how_to_connect_a_3.5

Thanks,

Wayne.

Terje_Norway

Hi,

Just a small, but in my opinion good solution.

Have a look at the following Ebay auction :

Amstrad CPC Spectrum +3 ribbon cable for DDI-1 / FD-1 and HxC floppy emulator |

He's recommended Ebay dealer. Besides this lead he does also have a lot of other cables for Amstrad and Spectrum computers.

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

roy bates

Quote from: Terje_Norway on 14:43, 14 February 15
Hi,

Just a small, but in my opinion good solution.

Have a look at the following Ebay auction :

Amstrad CPC Spectrum +3 ribbon cable for DDI-1 / FD-1 and HxC floppy emulator |

He's recommended Ebay dealer. Besides this lead he does also have a lot of other cables for Amstrad and Spectrum computers.

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

there is a mistake in the decription of that listing,you can NOT use that cable with a ddi1,for definite as there is no connection this would fit...youll only be able to use it with the fd1.(if the 34 pin idc connector on one end has no keyway)

care must be taken when using it with the fd1 as well,dont pug it in the wrong way round as it will most likely damage you 6128.
the fd1 supplys power down the floppy cable for the ddi1 on several wires.in the form of 5 volts.

opticpow

Thanks for the pointer. Looking at the picture of the cable, it looks to be straight through, all pins connected? As I'm in Australia, making a cable would be much quicker than ordering it from the other side of the world.

Thanks,

Wayne.

roy bates

Quote from: opticpow on 16:45, 16 February 15
Thanks for the pointer. Looking at the picture of the cable, it looks to be straight through, all pins connected? As I'm in Australia, making a cable would be much quicker than ordering it from the other side of the world.

Thanks,

Wayne.

yes it is just straight through connected on both ends.

one end is just a normal 34 pin idc connector probably without the keyway(you can cut that off anyway if you dont need it),the other end is a 34 pin edge connector.
pin pitch is 2.54mm on both,cable is(i think) just normal 1.27mm pitch ribbon cable 28awg.

best of luck:)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

opticpow