News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

HxC internal + Black case

Started by jibanes, 06:29, 06 July 14

Previous topic - Next topic

jibanes

It's time to upgrade my 6128, we'll start by replacing the internal 3' drive with a HxC; before I order it on Lotharek's site, do I need to chose a special model for CPC or they're all the same? (There are different models on ebay, one per "architecture", although Lotharek's site doesn't seem to differentiate them).

Finally, do I also need a "Black case" ( http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=121 ) in addition to the HxC "Rev C" itself (or is it Rev F)? Please note that my intend is to replace the internal "A" drive, I do not need a "B" drive at this time.

Also, do I need to run special ROMs for the HxC, or the stock rom might suffice (for now?).

Cheers.

mr_lou

I bought one of those with a case once, thinking it would fit in a 3.5" disk-drive slot. But it didn't. It's slightly too big to fit.

Bryce

The HxC is generic, there is only one type (schematically speaking) which works on all systems with a Shugart connection. But there are many different physical variations. I have documented installing the Rev F (the one you've linked to) version in a 6128 here: CPC6128 mod. As you'll see, it needs some serious modding to the HxC or CPC to get it to fit. The Rev C version is more suitable for the CPC if you don't want to have to do too much hardware hacking.

Bryce.

Gryzor

If you are going to replace the internal drive, why would you need a case?

And no, you don't need to run anything at all to use the HxC ROM-wise, the system sees it as a normal drive :)

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:39, 06 July 14

Because a 3.5" disk-drive is in a case?

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:39, 06 July 14

And no, you don't need to run anything at all to use the HxC ROM-wise, the system sees it as a normal drive :)

If you check the link he included you'll see it's the HxC with front plate, not really a case.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 12:49, 06 July 14
Because a 3.5" disk-drive is in a case?

ehm... a totally different thing, the metal casing of a 3.5" drive which is for internal use and the clearly external-use HxC plastic case.

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:17, 06 July 14ehm... a totally different thing, the metal casing of a 3.5" drive which is for internal use and the clearly external-use HxC plastic case.

The "cased" HxC I got was of metal, and open in the top. I think it was to make it fit-able in a floppy drive spot somewhere. It wasn't.

Gryzor

Then it sounds like a metal caddy, not a case.

Bryce

Just take a look at his link and you'll see what he's talking about!

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2.

Gryzor

Ahh right; hadn't seen that one. Still it's not a case :D

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 22:15, 06 July 14
Ahh right; hadn't seen that one. Still it's not a case :D

Well I'm calling it a case! And you can't make me stop!  :P

Also, the dictionary says this:

• a box or receptacle for holding something
  • a box together with its contents
  • set; specifically :  pair
  • an outer covering or housing <a pastry case>
  • a tube into which the components of a round of ammunition are loaded
  • a divided tray for holding printing type
Source: Case - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
So eat it!  :D

Gryzor

Ok, ok! It's a case! I'll have two, please :D

Bryce

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:13, 07 July 14
Well I'm calling it a case! And you can't make me stop!  :P

Also, the dictionary says this:

• a box or receptacle for holding something
  • a box together with its contents
  • set; specifically :  pair
  • an outer covering or housing <a pastry case>
  • a tube into which the components of a round of ammunition are loaded
  • a divided tray for holding printing type
Source: Case - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
So eat it!  :D

Congratulations! You have successfully graduated with honours from the "Bryce school of pedantology[NB]Yes, I know that's not a real word[/NB]"! Be proud! :D

Bryce.

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: mr_lou on 16:56, 06 July 14
The "cased" HxC I got was of metal, and open in the top. I think it was to make it fit-able in a floppy drive spot somewhere. It wasn't.

Sure this is a 3"1/2 case. the CPC is in this format.

Have a look to the Slim version this one should fit better.

Bryce

Hi Jeff,
     I managed to beat the 3.5in version into a CPC, but it took quite a bit of modding first (so that no CPC modding was required). You can see the pictures here: CPC6128 mod. (Apologies first for hacking your lovely case into bits :D)

Bryce.

steve

Quote from: Bryce on 08:20, 07 July 14
Congratulations! You have successfully graduated with honours from the "Bryce school of pedantology[NB]Yes, I know that's not a real word[/NB]"! Be proud! :D

Bryce.

No, but pedantry is a real word. :D

Bryce

Yeah, but it doesn't sound like a science :D

British Telecom advert from 1988 with Maureen Lipman - Ology

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Jeff_HxC2001 on 11:47, 07 July 14
Sure this is a 3"1/2 case. the CPC is in this format.

Have a look to the Slim version this one should fit better.

My idea was to replace the floppy drive in my homemade external drive:
http://dewfall.dk/other/diskdrive01.jpg
http://dewfall.dk/other/diskdrive02.jpg

I assumed that the metal case (which it is, according to Bryce's School of Pedantology and The Merriam-Webster Dictionary), was designed with the same meassurements to replace the disk drive in various equipment, like e.g. a keyboard, so I was sure it would fit into that external drive of mine too.

But since it didn't fit, I asked Bryce to put it inside my CPC6128 instead.

Bryce

Really? The HxC case is the correct standard dimensions for a 3.5in PC drive[NB]Or at least it was before I hacked it into pieces.[/NB]. Your external drive must be some strange variant. What exactly didn't fit? And where did your external drive case originally come from?

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 13:40, 07 July 14
Really? The HxC case is the correct standard dimensions for a 3.5in PC drive[NB]Or at least it was before I hacked it into pieces.[/NB]. Your external drive must be some strange variant. What exactly didn't fit? And where did your external drive case originally come from?

The plastic case was from a HP external burner I think. Then I just added some metal brackets (see picture 2) to be able to mount the 3.5" floppy drive you see on the pictures.
So a floppy drive fit well, as you see. In my small brain, that would mean that other devices intended to replace a floppy drive, would fit too. But it didn't. I couldn't cram in it there.

Having it in the CPC6128 is a better place for it anyway. I bought another external HxC for my CPC464.

chinnyhill10

I prefer the cased external version. That way I can use it with other systems when I need to. Works wonderfully with my Spectrum +3.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube