News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

HxC SD Card

Started by Ynot.zer0, 11:52, 10 April 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynot.zer0

Whilst moving some boxes in the attic, I discovered I do actually own a couple of 6128+ machines!  I purchased a cable from iiibay and plugged my HxC SDCard in.  It'd been a few months since I last used it, so I had to 'remember' to set the jumper to 'B' drive, get the default .CFG file (so it doesn't autoboot) - I tried the autoboot.hfe app, but it crashes with an error [64] - I am *assuming* this is because it wants the HxC to be 'A' drive and not 'B'.

First question - the only way to do that is to unplug the internal drive (unscrew the 6128+ etc..) - do I still need to short the pin 23 with 24?

Second question - I have a xxxx_dsk.hfe file I selected, I can '|B:cat' and see the contents, I can 'run "xxx"' and all works fine.  I have a blank 3" disc in the 'A' drive, how do I copy the files from the HxC SD Card 'B' drive to the 'A' drive?  Why do I want to do that?  Just because I want to put the 3" disc into a 6128 without having to use the HxC device on the 6128?  Am I trying to do something stupid?  (It is unusually warm in the UK at the moment, so the heat *might* be affecting my CPC brain cells  :P )

Third (final) question - can I plug the 6128+ into the old CTM 644 monitor that I use for the 464/6128 machines?

thanks

Gryzor

You can always create the cfg you want using Jeff's converter software (it has facilities to produce configs). As discussed in the other threads, the boards sometime need to warm up in order to work perfectly; I have gotten the 64 error myself several times but it didn't seem to pertain to config problems. Try leaving it on for a few then try again??

Copying can be done through dedicated programs, of course. Xexor was suggested as it canrun from |B and thus you can load up a converted image.

So, you had actually FORGOTTEN you had 2 6128+? Geez, you're not worthy of them! :D

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:02, 10 April 11
You can always create the cfg you want using Jeff's converter software (it has facilities to produce configs). As discussed in the other threads, the boards sometime need to warm up in order to work perfectly; I have gotten the 64 error myself several times but it didn't seem to pertain to config problems. Try leaving it on for a few then try again??
I'll give this a try - I have only been waiting about 5 seconds, so I'll let it on for a while and re-test.

Copying can be done through dedicated programs, of course. Xexor was suggested as it canrun from |B and thus you can load up a converted image.
A check of the wiki shows the name but no link to any info - can anyone point me to a download?
EDIT: found it: http://www.cpc-power.com/pages/download_part.php?fiche=4933&dsk=1&part=Xexor%20v2.6%20%28UK%29%20%281993%29%20%28PD%29%20%5BUTILITAIRE%5D.dsk

So, you had actually FORGOTTEN you had 2 6128+? Geez, you're not worthy of them! :D
Well, not really forgotten, I moved house a year ago (from a big house to a smaller house) and a lot of things are still in boxes in the attic - my "retro" room is 1/2 the size it used to be.  Therefore a lot of unopened boxes are still in the attic.

Gryzor

Did it work after all? I was just opening CPCPower when I saw your edit :)

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:51, 10 April 11
Did it work after all? I was just opening CPCPower when I saw your edit :)

xexor doesn't seem to want to run from the HxC SD Card.  I'm taking a guess that I need to run it from the internal floppy drive?.... (now where did I put the old PC to transfer the .DSK image over?)
EDIT: Yep, xexor runs okay once it is on a proper 3" disc in the internal drive.  I must say, I REALLY like this software!  Without reading the instructions (for more than 10 seconds) I was able to switch the drives to 'b,a' and then backup the DSK from the SD Card to the internal 3" disc.  Quick reboot and I was able to then run the software from the internal 'A' drive. worked perfect.  I am now very  ;D  - the software I was copying from SDCard to real floppy disc was a game I wrote myself called 'Scarab' (based on the source-code of 'sewer rat' by Lachlan).  I'm very happy that I can now test this on a 6128+ machine!   I think I'm going to be keeping the XEXOR disc very close from now on  8)

also to answer my own question three - the connectors are different between the CTM 644 monitor and the 6128+, so I cannot use just one monitor for all the Amstrads.  I'll have to wait for the S-connector from Bryce and purchase myself a nice LCD TV to use instead (any recommendations from anyone?)

Gryzor

Copying disks - bliss in its own right :)

Glad it worked!

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)