News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Build your own AMX Compatible Mouse Adapter

Started by Bryce, 00:25, 24 December 09

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Cool, pretty simple solution, but typical for its time. Probably possible to internally convert a modern mouse to AMX, but each mouse would need its own unique conversion instructions, which would most likely be wasted time, because the chance of someone else having the exact same mouse is pretty low. But still possible is someone wanted to.

Bryce.

Octoate

During the last weekend I got some time and build the adapter by myself. After I found two short circuits on my self-etched board, the adapter works fine and I can use it with all AMX compatible programs. I cannot compare the interface with an AMX mouse (I never owned one), but it seems to be ok for me.
Thanks to Bryce for this nice DIY interface :)!!!!
--

Bryce

Hi Octoate,
         good to hear that someone has built it and my development work wasn't for nothing. I had a look at the layout PDF I uploaded and the two outer PS/2 socket pads really are a bit too close for comfort. Fine if you are using professional equipment to prduce the board, but less reliable methods such as Print-transfer or homemade UV setups could have an issue in that area. I will edit the Layout with smaller pads in that area for future builders. Also, I will take a look at the software at the weekend and see if I can add an additional test to confirm that the board is working (and doesn't have any short-circuits), stay tuned....

Bryce.

Bryce

Hello all,
        not that anybody has built the adapter according to the schematics, but I just noticed a drawing mistake had crept in, meaning the schematic wouldn't have worked. The layout and other documents were correct however.

I've also updated the Track Layout file too, after Octoate pointed out that the PS/2 socket pads were a little too close and caused a short circuit on his PCB. The pads have now been separated a little more to avoid this.

Bryce.

Bryce

Hi all,
        just added some pictures and instructions for building a wireless internal version of my PS/2 Mouse adapter: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/PS2Mouse

Enjoy,

Bryce.

TFM

First, thanks a lot for that awesome project! It's a really good alternative, because the software for this new hardware already exists  ;) ;D

I want to make that interface for me too. But due to lack of time I don't have it now... However, let me ask a question... Does this Mouse interface one, two or three fire buttons? If I remember right, then the AMX mouse has three buttions, but I'm not sure about my memories  :-[
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Hi TFM/FS,
           the interface can handle a 2 or 3 button mouse (the original AMX had 3 buttons). The firmware auto-detects what type of mouse is connected and will configure as many buttons as it finds (up to three at least) and like you said, the real advantage is that it's fully AMX compatible, so it will work with any of the original software or newer software that is AMX compatible. I have tried it with FutureOS by the way, and it worked fine (pretty cool using a modern OS on the CPC with a mouse :) ).
It also has a bonus, in that it will also detect and configure a scroll-wheel if the mouse has one (configured as Joy2 up/down). This obviously won't be compatible with original AMX software, but could be implemented in FutureOs / SymbOS, but I don't think anyone has done this yet. You can also use a USB mouse with a USB/PS/2 adapter (or by building the circuit with a USB socket instead of PS/2). The firmware is the same for both USB and PS/2, it will detect what you have connected.

If you do intend building one, let me know, cos I have several alternative layouts that I haven't put on the Wiki yet, but might suit you better.

Bryce.

TFM

Thank's a lot for the detailed informations.  :)  I'll contact you later on about the new / special layouts. Have to care about PCB production anyway :-)

The implementaion of the scroll wheel is a great idea. In SOS it can be used to browse through file-windows and with FOS it can do similar, like page up and down. So in the Desktop it will work like Shift and Control keys (pressed alone): Browse directory page up or down. Also in CBM it can be used that way. However at the moment joystick 2 is fully usable (like joy 1, cursor keys and so on. ...). I have to think about in which way I can implement an option. In perfect case it could sense the mouse and then do it all automatically. Let's see ...  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

I've just added the layout files for a pure USB version of the Mouse adapter. This version has a USB socket, lacks the option switches and is slightly smaller. It should work with 99% of all USB compatible Mice / Mouses / Meece whatever they're called. It uses the same Firmware as the original adapter.

Bryce.

HAL6128

...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

TFM

Ha! That brings us directly into Future ;)  Great work!
TFM of FutureSoft

rpalmer

hello all,

Well its nice to see someone is keen to see what the AMX Mouse actually looks like.
And yes, I do indeed have such a mighty little device in my box of goodies for my CPC.
I also bought the device when the CPC was bought as i saw a potential for it make the CPC a better GUI machine than the C64 (blah!) or the Speccy.
At the time I purchased the "MAX" package to go with the mouse.

You can see i have attached what the inside PCB looks like.  Hope this is what people are keen to see its internals.
Sadly my mouse had needed to be repaired and the covering of the wires from the mouse to the connector had to be removed.  I think the device still works, but the bare wires dont make it look all that good.

regards
rpalmer

Bryce

Cool pictures, the PCB looks so amateur compared to modern devices.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Please add these pictures to the wiki page.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Gryzor

Yes, it does look quite amateurish! I wonder how many they sold, and how many they had to solder by hand...

Btw, a bit OT, anyone knows of a noteworthy GUI for the Speccy?

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:15, 06 April 11
Btw, a bit OT, anyone knows of a noteworthy GUI for the Speccy?

What's about Doors? I'm not sure if it was made for the speccy, don't remember that.
TFM of FutureSoft