News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Is there a definitive PSU/RGBSCART solution for a 6128plus?

Started by Interceptor, 16:47, 21 November 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Interceptor

i've read thru here and a few places online, seems that retroshack sell a complete kit except that the RGB on signal isnt present in the scart cable and the 6128 needs an other 12v supply from somewhere, making the complete kit rather incomplete.
then i read yo uneed a battery for the RGB signal, then i read you dont, i'm a tad confused.
i cant solder for shit, does anyone make a PSU/SCART kit for this? i'm connecting to an LCD TV, already used other computers connected to it but it onyl has auto sensing RGB not manual. (it does have composite input though, its a TV not a monitor.)

Bryce

Then the best solution would be to make this cable: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/TV_SCART_cable#Alternative_RGB_Wiring
Which doesn't need a battery and will work on most LCD TVs. You'll still need a solution to supply the 5V and 12V to the CPC, I'd suggest using a PC Power supply.

Bryce.

Interceptor

and the 5v goes to the small round plug and the 12v goes via the DIN style socket?

steve

The cpc6128 needs a 12v supply, but the 6128plus DOES NOT.

Bryce

A standard 6128 has a round socket for the 5V and a flylead with a round plug for the 12V. The DIN plug on a standard CPC only has picture signals, on the plus the sound is also included in the DIN plug.

Bryce.

dragon

In my case i use amstrad mpv 001 to power the plus + 3,5.disk drive, you need only solder a lttle cable to 5v modulator exit.

In the  other hand i buy the video cable en ebay.but not  in retroshark i buy here:

http://cgi.ebay.es/Kit-RGB-Euroconector-Scart-Amstrad-CPC-464-y-6128-/170532136847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item27b481e78f

You can ask to seller only for video cable.The cable works in the euroconector tv with rgb  support.See manual tv.

Maybe other option is search a french mpv witch have euroconector.So yo only need solder a cable cpc to modulator....

ukmarkh

I have this same problem... I purchased the scart kit, but my 6128 Plus displays a shocking picture, the text is hardly readable. My stock CPC 6128 works fine on the same LCD. I've tried several LCD tv's and only An old ALBA LCD works with the Plus, displays a crisp picture but the sound is crap and it's only 15".

I bought a 21" HD LG TV and the picture is wank. Everything else works, bar the PLUS. I plug the GX4000 in and the pic is amazing. I give up!

Bryce

The problem here is that the GX4000 had a real SCART driver chip, the CXA1145 from Sony, which produced the exact signals and levels required for SCART. The SCART cables available for the CPC just connect the regular RGB signals to the correct pins, but the frequencies and signal levels aren't correct.

On an old CRT TV the entire SCART circuitry is analogue and not particularly fussy about the signals it recieves. It will display whatever it recieves as long as it's within certain boundaries. However LCD/PLasma TVs don't have this analogue circuitry, they have a CPU that samples the SCART signals at the exact frequencies according to the SCART specification. Anything even slightly outside this spec will either produce a less than optimal picture (locally known as "wank" where ukmarkh comes from  :P ) or no picture at all.

Unfortunately, the CXA1145 is no longer available as far as I know and I don't know of any equivalent, otherwise it would be quite easy to build a small circuit which would give a perfect SCART picture.

Bryce.

Bryce

No, I love those type of phrases, it's one of the things I miss here in Germany. The language back home is much more "colourful"

Bryce.

dragon

QuoteUnfortunately,   the CXA1145 is no longer available as far as I know and I don't know of   any equivalent, otherwise it would be quite easy to build a small   circuit which would give a perfect SCART picture.

Bryce.                                                                                                                                                             

Not worry.You can find it in italy.I know this shop,because time ago,The have amstrad originals service manual.

They only speak italian,but,they send worlwide. :) .

http://www.digivideo.biz/it/elettronica/ricambi/mg_ic0m.htm

They have many other chips,amstrad ram for example.

CXA1145 p 4,35e.

datashhet:

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/77343/SONY/CXA1145P.html

Bryce

That's it alright. A bit expensive, but if you are having serious problems with the SCART picture, you could buy this (and a few other basic bits) and simply copy that section of the GX4000 circuit. You'd have to make your own circuit of course, because these parts were never meant for the Plus so there won't be a location for them on the CPC PCB and it would have to be mounted internally, because not all the connections you need are externally reachable (ie: they don't go to any connector on the back), but it might be worth the bother to get GX quality SCART?

Bryce.

Interceptor

Quote from: dragon on 12:46, 22 November 10
In my case i use amstrad mpv 001 to power the plus + 3,5.disk drive, you need only solder a lttle cable to 5v modulator exit.

In the  other hand i buy the video cable en ebay.but not  in retroshark i buy here:

http://cgi.ebay.es/Kit-RGB-Euroconector-Scart-Amstrad-CPC-464-y-6128-/170532136847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item27b481e78f

You can ask to seller only for video cable.The cable works in the euroconector tv with rgb  support.See manual tv.

Maybe other option is search a french mpv witch have euroconector.So yo only need solder a cable cpc to modulator....

yeah i considred this, so if the 6128plus doesnt need 12v, i guess the 3" disk drive in that is a 5v model?
does this also mean i can use a regular 464 MP1 for my 6128plus?
and its RF output only though? is the french one RGB scart or secam/composite SCART
that link you posted doesnt look like its a do-all, and thus very expensive IMO.

dragon

Quoteyeah i considred this, so if the 6128plus doesnt need 12v, i guess the 3" disk drive in that is a 5v model?
does this also mean i can use a regular 464 MP1 for my 6128plus?
and its RF output only though? is the french one RGB scart or secam/composite SCART
that link you posted doesnt look like its a do-all, and thus very expensive IMO.

Yes,my 3,5" disk drive is samung  sfd-321B 5v. the mpv  power the cpc(with 3" drive)+ samsung without problems.

the mp1 teorycally can work.(mi mpv is made by mht ingenieros,spanish company,not amstrad).

You can see specs of french modulator here:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/MP2F

But you need solder in mpv to cpc.I never see one in person.

Interceptor

so i guess thats the answer then, a french MP2F, or generic equivelent, which doesnt seem to have been delevloped just yet.

i bet they are rare too ;)

Bryce

Whether it's PAL or NTSC, I'd recommend tapping the Composite signal from the MC1377 instead of using the UHF signal, and connecting it to a composite input on the TV, this will give you a much better picture. Description here on how to do it:  http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/LCD_And_Plasma_TV_Solution

Bryce.

ukmarkh

I've managed to find an LCD TV that works perfect with my 6128 Plus, using the Scart Kit you can buy off of ebay. Finally  ::)

If anyone wants the make and model give us a shout, I bought it for £40 and there's loads of 'em on ebay. Comes with a built in DVD player as well, and you can make the imagine go wide screen, looks awesome on WEC-LE-MANS.

Was begining to think such a thing was impossible to buy. I've only tested it on my 464 and 6128 Plus, if both my models work, surely everyone else's will.   

Bryce

Then tell us the make and model (and a link).

Bryce.

ukmarkh

Sorry for the delay... I was playing GT5 on the PS3 for the best part of the evening last night.

I've now tested this on a friends Plus, and it works... so I'm putting my ass on the line by saying get this TV.

ALBA ALCD15DVD1 - there's a 19" and 21" also. I know mine is only a 15" but the quality is that good I'm keeping it, think it uses a Sharp LCD. Haven't tested the bigger models.

PAL - I

Features

RF IN, S-VIDEO, VIIDEO, VGA, PC AUDIO, SCART, COAX

I got mine cheap because it didn't come with the remote control. Great TV!

redbox

Quote from: ukmarkh on 10:08, 25 November 10
ALBA ALCD15DVD1 - there's a 19" and 21" also. I know mine is only a 15" but the quality is that good I'm keeping it, think it uses a Sharp LCD. Haven't tested the bigger models.

None on eBay, just the remotes  :(

ukmarkh

Just keep your eyes peeled... ebay isn't the only place I've seen 'em. Gumtree and a few others. But I bought mine off ebay ages ago, with a bunch of other LCD's. All broken in an attempt to learn how to fix them and then make a buck.  :)

I haven't made any money from them yet  :(

Bryce

Alba is a re-badger, so it's probably being sold as "Medion" or by a similar re-badger in other countries.

Bryce.

ukmarkh

I have several other ALBA models that don't work with the CPC Plus! So don't take the risk unless they offer to refund you if it doesn't work. The other TV that works perfectly with the Plus is a TV set I purchased from ASDA, it's a 28" DUEL, I think this also has a Sharp LCD screen. But this TV is way too big for my study.

Bryce

I'm sure I've mentioned it here before, but my CPCs (including the plus) are connected to a 19" 4:3 VGA TFT which gives a perfect picture for almost anything (except mode 2 scrolling). So I'm not looking for anything new at the moment. There are also several low-cost solutions to convert composite to VGA, so if you have an MP1/2 and an TFT, this is probably the cheapest soloution. And it takes up less space, because the TFT can be used for your PC too :)

Bryce.

dragon

well,you can buy the tv i use with cpc

http://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/23_Samsung_LE23R86_HD_Ready_Digital_Freeview_LCD_TV_744_d

but you only can buy 1! (it'ts old tv) : D.

The best part with cpc is the bottom "zoom". and you can play the cpc in 16:9.(not losses cpc pixel normally)

other is mi bravia 32kdlw4000 and work with cpc.

with curiosly expand 4:3 mode to 16:9 :)(and not losses aspect ratio).