Is there any recent project to connect a PC (PS/2) keyboard to the CPC?

Started by Joss, 18:42, 27 August 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Piotr

True, but i do mistake, my second french keyboard is also China noname. I order HP from Amazon and HP keyboard working nice.

gerald

Quote from: Piotr on 19:49, 05 February 15
True, but i do mistake, my second french keyboard is also China noname. I order HP from Amazon and HP keyboard working nice.
Could you try this updated version on you noname keyboard ?

Piotr

O, thank you i check it in wenesday. Tomorrow i need jump to London. Crazy life, no time for anything.

Piotr

OK,i back to topic ;) Sorry for delay but life is life.
I flash interface with new hex but now effect is:
On my HP keyboard all ok but
ON my noname keyboards( both )efect is like i pres 1 and hold so computer print on screen 1111111111111111111111111111111111111...
Also important thing, where is this sign what allow call DRIVE in parados, or call futureos? In amstrad keyboard is under @.

gerald

Quote from: Piotr on 09:45, 21 February 15
I flash interface with new hex but now effect is:
On my HP keyboard all ok but
ON my noname keyboards( both )efect is like i pres 1 and hold so computer print on screen 1111111111111111111111111111111111111...
That's better  ;D , but expected!
Is the keyboard always issuing 1 when you press a key ?
Is the numlock led working and can you toggle it ?

Also important thing, where is this sign what allow call DRIVE in parados, or call futureos? In amstrad keyboard is under @.
Are you using a french keyboard ? whith a  french ROM ? If so you need the proper code of the AtTiny : PS2CpcFR.hex. On french ROM, the | is mapped to ù.
If you are using a UK keyboard with the UK rom, the | is located between the left shit and Z.

The SW convert keypress from the PS2 keyboard to the CPC matrix according to the symbol (or equivalent, like @ and à on a french layout). Mixing layout will not give you what you want  ;)

TFM

Also important thing, where is the sign "|"which allows to call FutureOS? In amstrad keyboard is under @.

On my laptop keyboard (US version) it's on the key over the large "Enter", on the key it's written "|" and "\". Hope this helps.  :)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Piotr

Ok, back to topic .
NONAME keyboard connected, i switch on CPC,dont press any key but  CPC start print 111111 on screen (always) , numlock not working.If i press keys nothing change.

botfixer

Hi there,

i am interested using this PS/2 Converter. Nice work!

I have a plain CPC 464 Mainboard without case and i want to make a PC case mod.

Is it possible to get a PCB like showed in the pictures above?

gerald

Schematic for use without PPI port available (as in Plus)
Not tested  ;D

Piotr

Gerald you are master, Just CPC 6128 plus is one step closer ;)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Piotr on 15:58, 20 June 15
Gerald you are master, Just CPC 6128 plus is one step closer ;)
Hmmm, OK, SO we have sorted the lack of spares for the ACID, who (if anyone) is working on a full reverse engineering of the ASIC? LOL

Or are you thinking about emulating it somehow.. in which case I guess it is not a "Just" anything.

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Piotr

CraigsBar

Quote from: Piotr on 08:42, 21 June 15
Why emulate if i have orginal Asic's?
I was unaware of that. If a remake of the plus is on the cards, count me in ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Piotr

Schematic tested ;)

||C|-|E||

The whole conversion is really amazing, and the keyboard board just great. I have been thinking for a long time what to do in case of keyboard failure in one of the Plus and this could be the answer  :) . There is always the possibility of substituting the Plus keyboard with one coming from a "normal" 6128 but it seems a bit painful to disassemble a computer just to give life to another.

TFM

Quote from: Piotr on 08:42, 21 June 15
Why emulate if i have orginal Asic's?

Really? How much did you get? Where to get em?  :o
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Munchausen

@gerald, how would you connect this circuit to a CPC+?

EDIT: sorry I just saw your post on the previous page!

n_sonic

Very old topic... Gerald, hi! I do not know when you will read this post, but i have a small question to you. How about a mistake in schematic? IC2 pin 13 and IC3 pin 7 connection? May be IC3 pin 7 must be connected to pin 14 of IC2....?  ;)

gerald

Quote from: n_sonic on 23:32, 27 January 16
Very old topic... Gerald, hi! I do not know when you will read this post, but i have a small question to you. How about a mistake in schematic? IC2 pin 13 and IC3 pin 7 connection? May be IC3 pin 7 must be connected to pin 14 of IC2....?  ;)
The 74HCT138 detect writes to PPI port C (F600 = xxxx 0x10 xxxx xxxx). PPI only see A11 (used as chip select) and A9-A8 (used a A1-A0).
Since 74HCT138 input are wired as follow :
A = A8   = 0
B = A9   = 1
C = A11 = 0
You want to detect CBA = 010 = 2, So I am using Y2 on pin 13

n_sonic

Anyway, i don't want  to injure you, dear Gerald, but in my one it works fine realy in this wariant 14-7. Working with all my keyboards, brand and noname china. May be it's mystical, but it works... Some time ago i decided to reanimate this (after four years  :) )project. Two days of hard work, replacing avrs and hct138, cheking all wires and contacts... It starts working. I can place hear bios rom rp23256 and your hex files correctly operating in my case. May be it will help to some members of this forum...

gerald

Quote from: n_sonic on 12:33, 28 January 16
Anyway, i don't want  to injure you, dear Gerald, but in my one it works fine realy in this wariant 14-7. Working with all my keyboards, brand and noname china. May be it's mystical, but it works... Some time ago i decided to reanimate this (after four years  :) )project. Two days of hard work, replacing avrs and hct138, cheking all wires and contacts... It starts working. I can place hear bios rom rp23256 and your hex files correctly operating in my case. May be it will help to some members of this forum...
No injure  ;)

14-7 variant will work if you swap A8/A9, which was the case on the 1st released schematics (label were wrongly placed) : Is there any recent project to connect a PC (PS/2) keyboard to the CPC?

BTW, here is the latest version, which should work with all keyboards.
I've fixed the PS2 protocol errors that cause some keyboard to fail (Thanks to @Bryce for sending one of these keyboard)
I've also slightly optimised the code for AVR

n_sonic

Thanks Gerald! You`re the best as always! Great wishes from "well-known" Crimea, Sevastopol city...  :D

zrusavpt

Folks, I wonder if you could help me with this project :) I've built it on a piece of perfboard, using the bits and pieces I had at hand (SMD ATTiny2313 and DIL HCT138). It was a challenge to make it work, as I based my work on the 'wrong schematic' with A8/A9 swapped, but logic analyzer and a bit of brain work gave me the hint.
Now, it sort of works, but a single keypress usually results in two different CPC keys being emulated - e.g., pressing 'w' on PS/2 keyboard results in 'wq' or 'qw' displayed on the screen. My first idea is that the ATTiny is somehow slow or whatever. Is there any specific change needed for ATTiny2313 (other than makefile target change)?
Thanks!

gerald

Quote from: zrusavpt on 20:38, 20 April 17
Folks, I wonder if you could help me with this project :) I've built it on a piece of perfboard, using the bits and pieces I had at hand (SMD ATTiny2313 and DIL HCT138). It was a challenge to make it work, as I based my work on the 'wrong schematic' with A8/A9 swapped, but logic analyzer and a bit of brain work gave me the hint.
Now, it sort of works, but a single keypress usually results in two different CPC keys being emulated - e.g., pressing 'w' on PS/2 keyboard results in 'wq' or 'qw' displayed on the screen. My first idea is that the ATTiny is somehow slow or whatever. Is there any specific change needed for ATTiny2313 (other than makefile target change)?
Thanks!
The 2313 is fast enough for the task.
The double key may be due to the connection to the keyboard itself. This may happen if the capacitance of the connection is high enough to prevent the keypress to go up fast enough between 2 rows.
Did you try to add pull-up on the keyboard rows (about 4k to 2.4k)

zrusavpt

Thanks, Gerald :) Actually, it did not help, but while adding the resistor net, I did realize I have completely ignored blocking capacitors. I have added one 470uF across the PS/2 keyboard power, and 100nF across the ATTiny and HCT138 power pins.
Now one key press generates just one letter on the screen, however, it's a wrong letter: F produces D, B produces C etc etc :) I believe I have shifted the keyboard rows by one. Could you possibly tell me what AY pin should go to what ATTiny pin? The CPC schematics I have uses X1-X8 for the AY pins, while your schematics uses X0-X7. I assumed AY X1 corresponds to your X0, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks!