News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Just stocked up on Z80A and MC6845P chips...

Started by Spirantho, 18:45, 12 January 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirantho

Hi everybody,
I just bought some chips from China, and to make the postage worthwhile I had to buy some other chips.
So, I now have 50 NOS D780C-1 (Z80A) CPUs, and 49 MC6845P CRTCs (only 49 because I've already used one to repair a CPC464 :) ). They're all very late datecodes (The D780C-1 are 1991, the 6845s around the same I think) and obviously I'll test them before sending them, but I have confidence they'll work. I tried one of each chip already and they're perfect.
Therefore, if anyone wants one or several just let me know as I can always get more. :) I'm looking for £5 for each including postage inside the UK, excluding postage outside the UK, or less if you buy several at once.
I didn't want to put this in the classified because I thought it may be of interest to people repairing CPCs - feel free to move it if you like.
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

arnoldemu

Quote from: Spirantho on 18:45, 12 January 14
Hi everybody,
I just bought some chips from China, and to make the postage worthwhile I had to buy some other chips.
So, I now have 50 NOS D780C-1 (Z80A) CPUs, and 49 MC6845P CRTCs (only 49 because I've already used one to repair a CPC464 :) ). They're all very late datecodes (The D780C-1 are 1991, the 6845s around the same I think) and obviously I'll test them before sending them, but I have confidence they'll work. I tried one of each chip already and they're perfect.
Therefore, if anyone wants one or several just let me know as I can always get more. :) I'm looking for £5 for each including postage inside the UK, excluding postage outside the UK, or less if you buy several at once.
I didn't want to put this in the classified because I thought it may be of interest to people repairing CPCs - feel free to move it if you like.
The MC6845P are type 2s btw.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Spirantho

Am I right in thinking it'll fit any of the original (non-"plus") Amstrads?
How many programs rely on the CRTC being a particular type?
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

Bryce

All CRTCs in classic CPCs are pin compatible. You can use those parts in any Classic CPC. The Gate-array was the only chip that changed pinout between versions.

Bryce.

Spirantho

Ian Gledhill

fgbrain

Most hardware demos dont work with  CRTC type 2.. Although some can be fixed..
The only game I had problem with, was Zaptballs. When I changed to type 0, no problem!!
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

Bryce

If my CPC is broken, I'd rather have a type 2 CRTC than no CRTC. Any spare parts for the CPC are good spare parts.

Bryce.

MacDeath

what about a 6mhz or 8mhz CPC then ?

I know that to overclock the CPC would modify the display (reduced horizontally...
Could it be changed so the computer runs faster with no alteration from the display ?

I guess more components would need to be changed, not just the Z80...

Bryce

Quote from: MacDeath on 00:44, 13 January 14

I know that to overclock the CPC would modify the display (reduced horizontally...
Could it be changed so the computer runs faster with no alteration from the display ?

This has been discussed numerous times in many different threads here. The quick answer is "No.", for the long answer check the other threads.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Spirantho on 21:16, 12 January 14
Thought so. That's good. :)
replacing a broken crtc with a working crtc is always good.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 00:44, 13 January 14

Yes, with huge effort. BUT why doing that? The 6 MHz CPC offers you a video mode with mode 1 resolution and Mode 0 colors! Can't beat that.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

TFM

Actually nearly no border. And that's good. The use of a border is minor imho.[nb]The only cool usage of a border I've ever seen was a demo/routine which could display a sprite in the border. Cool but ... what?[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

The border is important for the flashing pattern when I load tapes! :)

Bryce.

TFM

Only an idiot would expand a 6128 to a 6 MHz workstation and then still use taps as medium.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 10:02, 15 January 14
The border is important for the flashing pattern when I load tapes! :)

Bryce.

Same here. I do CRC checks just by looking at it.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:58, 15 January 14

Same here. I do CRC checks just by looking at it.

I don't do anything clever with it, I just like flashing colours :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Clearly, you've never calculated CRCs while on hallucinogenics. Utter fun!

ralferoo

Quote from: Gryzor on 22:33, 15 January 14
Clearly, you've never calculated CRCs while on hallucinogenics. Utter fun!
Isn't that a prerequisite for doing CRCs manually?

Gryzor

Depends on whether you want them to work afterwards!