News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Key missing its spring

Started by jibanes, 06:33, 07 July 14

Previous topic - Next topic

jibanes

I've received a 6128 recently to replace my 464 (which is getting old now); sadly, a key isn't working (all the rest seems to); by the amount of missing screws (2-3 perhaps) I can tell the cpc had already been messed with, no harm, that's fine with me; but a key is missing the spring connecting it to the membrane (the tiny one, not the one that actually hold the key up).

I've looked around anywhere in the case if somehow it could have fell, but it's just not there.

What's a good source for those springs? I just need one, if someone feels generous I could paypal a few bucks, I live in Seattle.

Jerome

steve

I could take one from a broken 464 but I do not know if it is the same size as a spring from the 6128.

Gryzor

I think I still have a broken 6128, so I could pop it out for you, though I don't quite understand what is missing...

Bryce

Some keyboard keys have an outer spring directly under the cap surrounding the shaft, but also have a smaller spring in/under the shaft. I think it's the second, smaller spring he's looking for. There's some inadequate pictures of it here: CPC6128 Keyboard Disassembled - CPCWiki

@Gryzor: As your fridge is covered in CPC Key caps, surely you have a bag of these spings lying about somewhere?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yeah, somewhere... in a dumpster!

I had asked if anyone wanted the remaining parts, but no one did, and I wasn't going to keep it around...

steve

Surely you could have rented a safe deposit box to store your unobtainium spare parts.  ;)

Gryzor

They were fresh out at the local bank...

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 09:32, 08 July 14
Some keyboard keys have an outer spring directly under the cap surrounding the shaft, but also have a smaller spring in/under the shaft. I think it's the second, smaller spring he's looking for. There's some inadequate pictures of it here: CPC6128 Keyboard Disassembled - CPCWiki

@Gryzor: As your fridge is covered in CPC Key caps, surely you have a bag of these spings lying about somewhere?

Bryce.
it's the pictures from one of my cpc6128's.

I had real trouble trying to get pictures of the key itself.

Yes there is a smaller spring on the key itself for when it makes contact with the membrane and another bigger spring which holds the key cap above the plastic of the keyboard itself.

EDIT: Somewhere I may have the other pictures of the other side of the membrane and perhaps where both parts are split.

I could probably make some pictures of a plus keyboard and it's membrane if needed. I've got one of those not working properly so I am happy to take it apart and photograph it.

EDIT: I think the plus keys are a little weird too, they have a different spring and there is a little plastic hook that stops them too.
I'll take some more pictures when I have time.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource