News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Keyboard Membranes

Started by RWAP, 21:27, 06 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

RWAP

Looking forward to new projects for 2016, how much interest would there be in getting replacement keyboard membranes made for the CPC 464 and the CPC 6128 (standard versions).

It is not helped as there appear to have been a couple of different membranes for the 464....

Membranes for the 464+/6128+ versions would also be an option, but projects have to be prioritised as any production run means a high capital investment (£2000 or so for 100 membranes of any type)....

TotO

And about the quality? Because the 664 membranes produced few years ago was really poor...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CraigsBar

Trade in post still have brand new (OK old stock) plus membranes so there is not much demand for remakes there yet I guess.

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Shining

I've never had any problems with my membranes. But on my original 6128 there was missing the printing on many keys after years of usage...

TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

TFM

With my original CPC6128 and 6128 Plus (and all other machines I bough and used, without anybody else using them) I have no problems at all. But I got few CPC6128 having problems with the keyboard. And I'm pretty sure that they got their problems due to respectlessness against the hardware and hammering wild on the keyboard. Saw that so often on meetings, guys hammering like crazy on the keyboard, it breaks my heart.  :(
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

||C|-|E||

I have never had problems with CPC or Plus membranes, but I would gladly buy a couple of them, just to be safe in the distant future (CPC 6128 and 6128 Plus) :) . If I could, I would also make a backup of my kidneys, lungs, etc., exactly for the same reason. However, this is more difficult, so the membranes would do  :)

CraigsBar

You can get plus membranes from trade in post. 8.99 I think, I just bought 3 for the same reason. Although I have 4 plusses all with good membranes, you can never be too safe ;)

||C|-|E||

I did not know the shop. It seems that they sell a little bit of everything, but they have very interesting prices... and they are here in England. I will buy some membranes for sure. Thank you for the advice!!  :D

CraigsBar

Yeah, their games are a good price too. £8 for a disc is never a bad price. I spent nearly 90 there last week (including postage to Ireland)

chinnyhill10

I wish Trade In Post had a decent website rather than the mess of a system they currently have. It's a web shop 1996 style.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

dcdrac

Quote from: CraigsBar on 16:16, 07 October 15
You can get plus membranes from trade in post. 8.99 I think, I just bought 3 for the same reason. Although I have 4 plusses all with good membranes, you can never be too safe ;)

I cannot find this shop is there a link?

CraigsBar

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 17:39, 07 October 15
I wish Trade In Post had a decent website rather than the mess of a system they currently have. It's a web shop 1996 style.
I don't think it's been updated since about '93. I know it was like that when I worked in dudley, and drove over to shifnel to pick up some bits including a CPC 6128 and monitor.

I've still got it, and it still works.

dcdrac

Dr Tiger Ninestein

Quote from: CraigsBar on 16:28, 07 October 15
Yeah, their games are a good price too. £8 for a disc is never a bad price. I spent nearly 90 there last week (including postage to Ireland)

Did you get any games from them? I tried them a few weeks ago and they told me that they had none left?

CraigsBar

Yes, I got this lot and 3 membranes

BAD DUDES VS DRAGONNINJA (disk)   £7.99   (Imagine)

TEENAGE MUTANT TURTLES (disk)  £6.99  (Konami)

GO CRAZY (disk) £7.99  (US Gold)

ROAD BLASTERS (disk)  £7.99  (US Gold)

SPEED KING (tape)  £3.99  (Mastertronic)

SPINDIZZY (tape)  £3.99  (Electronic Dreams)

WORLD CLASS RUGBY (tape)  £3.99  (Audiogenic)

So I guess it depends on what you want. Some of those I asked for were no longer available however so I am not sure the stock list is updated very often.

RWAP

Quote from: TotO on 21:30, 06 October 15
And about the quality? Because the 664 membranes produced few years ago was really poor...

Do you mean the CPC664 membranes I produced in December 2012?  If so, why didn't you contact me - as I am the only seller of these and have never had any negative feedback...

What do you mean poor?

RWAP

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:28, 06 October 15
Trade in post still have brand new (OK old stock) plus membranes so there is not much demand for remakes there yet I guess.

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

Hence why I did not mention the plus version in my original post...

There just does not seem to be enough interest in standard 464 or 6128 membranes at the moment...

TotO

Quote from: RWAP on 18:27, 08 October 15Do you mean the CPC664 membranes I produced in December 2012?  If so, why didn't you contact me - as I am the only seller of these and have never had any negative feedback... What do you mean poor?
I don't know that was yours. I have tried to fix two from a friend that got problems because the carbon tracks are breakable.
For example, when you plug and unplug it 3 times from the 664 connector, that cut them.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

RWAP

That can be a problem with the carbonised tracks - they are not really designed for plugging and unplugging...

However, if the membrane is marked MEKALL, then it can be returned to me for a replacement as the carbon should not have broken that easily !

AMSDOS

I was having some trouble with my 6128 Keyboard a month or so ago, but once I got rid of the dust (fluff) from it and figured out I needed to clip in the centre clips it was all good again. Hard to say though if my Membrane is good for another 5-10 years or if it's ready to play up, the underside looks fine, though the top had little black marks on the circular connector where the key hits it to make a circuit. Have photos of it if you're unsure what I'm talking about.

@00WReX might be interested in some spare Membranes, if you're willing to send to Australia.  :)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Dr Tiger Ninestein

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:23, 07 October 15
Yes, I got this lot and 3 membranes

BAD DUDES VS DRAGONNINJA (disk)   £7.99   (Imagine)

TEENAGE MUTANT TURTLES (disk)  £6.99  (Konami)

GO CRAZY (disk) £7.99  (US Gold)

ROAD BLASTERS (disk)  £7.99  (US Gold)

SPEED KING (tape)  £3.99  (Mastertronic)

SPINDIZZY (tape)  £3.99  (Electronic Dreams)

WORLD CLASS

So I guess it depends on what you want. Some of those I asked for were no longer available however so I am not sure the stock list is updated very often.

It's strange, I've phoned them up a few times now and emailed them asking if they have several different games in stock with no success and no replies to my emails.

The last time I phoned I was asked to email them...'but I have emailed you!'

CraigsBar

Quote from: Dr Tiger Ninestein on 16:34, 20 October 15

It's strange, I've phoned them up a few times now and emailed them asking if they have several different games in stock with no success and no replies to my emails.

The last time I phoned I was asked to email them...'but I have emailed you!'
Yeah, john is not the quickest at replying, but when you get him, he is most helpful I find