News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Later model 464

Started by Dizrythmia, 07:18, 07 January 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizrythmia

I've been looking around on Ebay, trying to find a 464 that has the joystick port on the left, as opposed to on the back. It always made more sense to me having the joystick connection on the side, away from where it could potentially block the keyboard. The problem with most Ebay auctions is that they don't show photographs of all sides of the computer.

Is there anything else I could look out for?

Is it s safe bet that if it has the newer Amstrad logo then it has the connector on the left?

Any info would be fantastic. Thanks :)

Bryce

Not unless they show a picture of the insides, the only the 464 short PCB versions had the joystick at the side. Or get a 6128, where it was always at the side :)

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 07:18, 07 January 16
I've been looking around on Ebay, trying to find a 464 that has the joystick port on the left, as opposed to on the back. It always made more sense to me having the joystick connection on the side, away from where it could potentially block the keyboard. The problem with most Ebay auctions is that they don't show photographs of all sides of the computer.

Is there anything else I could look out for?

Is it s safe bet that if it has the newer Amstrad logo then it has the connector on the left?
My safe asumption is that all 464 with the modern amstrad logo have the joystick port on the left side. ;)

robcfg

If you take a look here, you'll see that only v3 and v4 boards have the joystick port on the left, and they can be found on Amstrad or Schneider computers, so no way you can tell from the logo.

Your best option is to ask the seller for more pictures or to confirm that the joystick port is on the left.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: gerald on 10:38, 07 January 16
My safe asumption is that all 464 with the modern amstrad logo have the joystick port on the left side. ;)

I'd say that's a pretty good bet as they didn't introduce the new logo until 1988.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

McKlain

I still wonder why they didn't put the joystick port on the front.

Bryce

Quote from: McKlain on 12:38, 07 January 16
I still wonder why they didn't put the joystick port on the front.

Because their entire marketing concept was based on the idea that it was a serious, business orientated machine and NOT a gaming machine perhaps? Or for the same reason that most gaming orientated machines didn't put them on the front: because it looks hideously ugly?

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 13:03, 07 January 16
Because their entire marketing concept was based on the idea that it was a serious, business orientated machine and NOT a gaming machine perhaps? Or for the same reason that most gaming orientated machines didn't put them on the front: because it looks hideously ugly?

Bryce.

And it would get in the way if it was in the front.

Or you could have it underneath like the ST which I curse every time I get the ST out for a review.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 13:16, 07 January 16
Or you could have it underneath like the ST which I curse every time I get the ST out for a review.

Oh my god... what a design decision that was. That was my first hardware project[nb]ah, not really; the first was a reset switch for my 6128 made out of a bent paperclip[/nb] - cable extensions for the mouse/joystick ports of my beloved 1040STFM...

1024MAK

Oh my  :o

The first ST machines (without FDD or modulators) actually did not have joystick ports underneath. The joystick ports/mouse port were on the right hand side.

It was the later models, STF, STFM and onwards that adopted this "feature". The joystick and mouse ports on these machines are actually connected to the keyboard micro controller. And the equivalent area on the STFM where the joystick ports used to be on the ST is occupied with the floppy drive.

To be fair, many manufacturers have tried many different positions for joystick ports. And every location has it's problems. I don't consider myself to be fussy, but where ever they are, they cause problems:-
Underneath or round the back - difficult to change the joystick while using the computer  :( .
On the side - make the machine too wide with an extra few inches of joystick connector and lead. Also more easily knocked  :( .
On top - no, just NO. Looks cheap and tacky  >:( .
On the front - worse than on top  >:(

So does anyone have a really good idea where the best place is?

By using extension leads, underneath or at the back is the least worse IMHO.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

gerald

Quote from: 1024MAK on 17:03, 08 January 16
So does anyone have a really good idea where the best place is?
Wireless  ;D

Dizrythmia

Thanks for the info & banter  :D

So by my research the new Amstrad logo came out in 1988, so I'm 100% safe with any 464 that has that logo.

I have a friend who has the old logo but the joystick port on the left (& he won't sell or trade with me) so it's a mixed bag.

I guess I'll just keep an eye out & see what I can find!

dragon

But, better not buy a cpc made in thailand  Because if its made in thailand, is a cost down  464, and the preasic can be big problem if he broke. Big as throw the cpc.

Until you not search it to especifically collect it of course :).

Dizrythmia

I though they were all made in Korea. I didn't know some of the later models were made in Thailand...