News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Loading .dsk files on a CPC

Started by ProfessorPike, 10:53, 26 January 19

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfessorPike

Hello all (again!)

Project "old computer room" is well underway (sanding and painting next)

So some forward planning needed. Let me explain the situation as it stands

Bought CPC 6128 to go in "old computer room", fixed disc drive. ready to play old classics on it. Looked at the price of disc software on Ebay! Also considering the somewhat temporary nature of the disc medium.

So I need a solution to load .dsk files (to totally replace actual copies of the games I have, honest) on the CPC

Now, I've seen some have removed the A drive and installed something in there. Since the drive is working, i'd rather not do that. If that is the only way, a 2nd CPC may be the best solution, to keep the current one original.

Is there something I can attach that will allow me to do what I need? Perhaps acting as disc drive B?

I expect "old computer room" to be done within a matter of weeks, so need to get something sorted so I can enjoy CPC goodness! (without a remortgage to buy games from ebay!)

ComSoft6128

Hi ProfessorPike,

Dsk files seem to be the de facto standard but you also might look at this device from member Ikonsgr - it offers a new way of getting games (and other software) to the A drive of your CPC:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/universal-serial-interface-for-amstrad-cpc/

Cheers,

Peter

llopis

To load dsk files you need a Gotek drive (which is a floppy disk drive emulator running from a USB memory) and the appropriate cables. You plug it in the floppy disk controller connector on the back and it acts as drive B. No need to modify anything.

Personally, I love Pyotr's own version. It's compact and works very well, although it looks like it might not be currently for sale.

rambler

ProfessorPike

Ooooh Gotek looks good! Computer history goes CPC, Amiga so the fact that it works on there too is a big plus!

Looking here

https://amigastore.eu/323-usb-floppy-emulator-gotek.html#/

Flashfloppy or HxC? Are they just slightly different but essentially the same ways of loading and "presenting" a file to the CPC?
Does the OLED display give more info than just a number? It seems to suggest on google pictures that for amiga games, itll say "game.adf" instead of 001. Which would be so much easier to find things!

I assume i need a CPC floppy drive cable to actually plug it into my CPC and a power cable to power it.

It looks good, but I want to make sure I have the right thing!!

Thank you for your amazing help so far!

llopis

If you want to save money and do a couple minor things yourself, you can buy it for half the price from Aliexpress (search for Gotek). All you need to do is solder a couple of pins and flash it.

Also, I recommend getting one with OLED screen (and the sound mod too while you're at it). It gives you the full name of the DSK file, which is fantastic.

I prefer FlashFloppy. It's much easier because you throw the DSK images in the drive (or in folders) and you're all set.

Also, make sure you get the cables to connect it to the CPC. Those come separately and you can probably find them on Ebay easily (often times with a switch to toggle drive A or B).

Enjoy!

Quote from: ProfessorPike on 11:25, 27 January 19
Ooooh Gotek looks good! Computer history goes CPC, Amiga so the fact that it works on there too is a big plus!

Looking here

https://amigastore.eu/323-usb-floppy-emulator-gotek.html#/

Flashfloppy or HxC? Are they just slightly different but essentially the same ways of loading and "presenting" a file to the CPC?
Does the OLED display give more info than just a number? It seems to suggest on google pictures that for amiga games, itll say "game.adf" instead of 001. Which would be so much easier to find things!

I assume i need a CPC floppy drive cable to actually plug it into my CPC and a power cable to power it.

It looks good, but I want to make sure I have the right thing!!

Thank you for your amazing help so far!

Emashzed

I for one, bought my Gotek and CPC cables from ikonsgr74's shop on ebay

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Gotek-FF-HxC-Compatible-USB-Drive-for-PC-Amstrad-Amiga-Atari-BBC-Synthesizers/272356494491

He's a fellow cpcwiki dweller, ships real fast, has a broad selection of cable/adapters for any kind of CPC or other computers, and the prices are very fair !

I do suggest the addition of an OLED screen (way more convinient), a sound mod (ikonsgr74 will do that for you if you want for a small fee) and eventually a rotary encoder. All this is very easy to do and fully detailed on the Flashfloppy wiki :

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Hardware-Mods

Enjoy your Gotek ! I sure love mine  ;D

Blurredman

I have a 5.25" disc drive connected to my 6128's..

genesis8

Quote from: Emashzed on 13:35, 28 January 19
I for one, bought my Gotek and CPC cables from ikonsgr74's shop on ebay
What would be the best solution with an OLED screen but replacing the internal disk drive ?