News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Might have zapped my 6128...

Started by JonB, 14:41, 24 January 14

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB

I think I just killed a 6128  :'(

I was running it off a cheap power supply normally used for hard drives, and I accidentally short circuited the +5v / 0v lines. There was an explosion within the power supply, lots of carbonated parts (once I'd pried it open with a hammer). It's not the first time this happened - it's my fault, I have the +5v line attached to the 6128's trailing lead with a crocodile clip, temporarily.

Now, a short on the 5v line won't necessarily kill it, but an out of control voltage spike on the (still connected at the time) 12v line might. Is this likely, given the 12v circuit is only for powering the drive? (Or am I wrong about that?)

Anyway, when I have time I will do a bit more investigation. I need the 6128 to support my PCW efforts (as you'll know if you saw the post I wrote about how I transfer stuff off the internet to the PCW).

Hooray, I now have two dead 6128s... and they weren't cheap, either!

Bryce

If the short circuit happened between the CPC and the PSU then the 6128 will be fine, even if the 12V peaked (very unlikely), the drive probably survived too. Now fix the 5V connection properly before you connect a new supply!

Bryce.

TFM

Yes, and start thinking about insulation.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Badstarr

"pried it open with a hammer" I like it! Just don't use the same method to open up your 6128!  :laugh:
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

JonB

False alarm, thank god! It's OK. Yay! :D

robcfg

MacDeath

OMG, you killed Arnold !!!

(you barstard!)

JonB

Yeah.... like... "close one, dude!"

Now I need to fix the other 6128 which has been dead for ages. i replaced all the RAM but no joy. Swapped out the socketed chips one at a time with my working 6128, no joy.

Something's busted and I don't know what...

JonB

Quote from: Bryce on 14:47, 24 January 14
If the short circuit happened between the CPC and the PSU then the 6128 will be fine, even if the 12V peaked (very unlikely), the drive probably survived too. Now fix the 5V connection properly before you connect a new supply!

Bryce.

Yessir!

These cheap supplies are very noisy though. Might have to stick a smoothing cap in there for good measure!

Bryce

As the CPC doesn't have any sort of internal regulator (the 5V goes straight to every IC on the board) you definitely SHOULDN'T be using any cheap unregulated supply!!! Only use a decent regulated 5V supply or you'll damage the CPC eventually. Adding a capacitor won't save you or the CPC.

Bryce.

JonB

I don't know that it is unregulated. It's a switched mode supply, intended for powering hard drives. It just seems it wants to be a fuse too.

Bryce

A regulated supply won't be noisy.

Bryce.