News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MiniBooster + RS232 Module

Started by TCMSLP, 09:19, 07 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TCMSLP

Hi All,

Quick question:-

The MiniBooster is advertised with an option RS232 module (different to the Blutooth module) but the documentation doesn't appear to cover this.
Can anyone tell me if the RS232 interface on the MiniBooster is compatible with the standard Amstrad/Pace interfaces?  I'm guessing not.
I'm hoping to use the CPC as a dumb terminal so need good terminal emulation support (maybe AnsiTerm?) which in turn requires standard IO ports.
That is, unless the MiniBooster has it's own software / terminal emulator?
Any clues very much appreciated...

Update: I see mentions of an included (ROM?) terminal emulator with the MiniBooster, but I'm having trouble tracking down any further details :(

Steve
TCM/SLP

TotO

The RS232 module is intended to be connected instead of the USB cable for using to communicate with old PC, Mac, Amiga, ST, ...
All other usages will require appropriate software patch or development.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TCMSLP

Thanks TotO.  I'd seen some posts (including on CPCWiki) suggesting the MiniBooster came with a terminal emulator.

Is this correct?  If so, I'm guessing this would use the Blutooth option?

Essentially, I want to turn the CPC into a dumb serial terminal;  I need an RS232 port and some software that supports it :)

Steve

TotO

The MiniBooster come with some drivers and tools to use it for transfering data from/to CPC, Windows, Linux, OSX. Not more.
You can use a Terminal program on the "PC" side if required, but no elumator come to run that on a CPC.
Sure, all is possible... But that need patched softwares or a new development.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Octoate

Hi,
the pins on the Minibooster only use TTL level (5V), but RS232 requires +-12V, that means you need a RS232 IC like a MAX3232 if you want to use it with other RS232 interfaces (e.g. via a null modem cable). An already built converter is very cheap and already contains the necessary cables:
MAX3232 RS232 Serial Port To TTL Converter Module DB9 Connector With Cable. You can then just connect it to the pin rows on top of the Minibooster.

@TotO AFAIK the CPC Booster+ Terminal program uses the keyboard scan enhancement of the CPC Booster+. I guess, your firmware doesn't support it so it isn't possible to patch the terminal program to work with the Minibooster?
--

TotO

The provided module is what you shown. It embbed TTL to Serial electronic.
About the Terminal question, we don't support the keyboard scan feature.

TCMSLP

CPC Booster+ vs MiniBooster

I guess this is where the confusion happens!

So, if anyone has an Amstrad/Pace RS232 interface for sale, do let me know  :laugh:

Steve

TotO

Or ask from someone code a native Terminal software for CPC. :D

zhulien

hi, I am wondering if any of the following will likely work on the minibooster 4 pin port?

Easy ultrasonic 4-pin sensor monitoring (hc-sr04)
4 pin analog and digital thermistor temperature sensor
Arduino KY-038 Microphone sound sensor module - TkkrLab
arduino-info - LCD-Blue-I2C
4-Wire Touch Screen Interfacing with Arduino

Is that 4 pin port compatible with other devices that work on Arduino or just the Blutooth and RS232?

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Hello!

The 4 pin connector used for bluetooth is only compatible with ttl module doing serial Rx/Tx usage.
Now, the expansion pins connector (used for USB, RS232, RS485, ... modules) can support any device with SPI interface.
To support i2C devices, some BIOS update are required to bit banging them...

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 08:52, 22 August 16
Hello!

The 4 pin connector used for bluetooth is only compatible with ttl module doing serial Rx/Tx usage.
Now, the expansion pins connector (used for USB, RS232, RS485, ... modules) can support any device with SPI interface.

In case somebody has a list / did add a module successful pleas post here.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

SOS

Quote from: TotO on 08:52, 22 August 16
Has anyone done this?

zhulien

Actually I am trying still to make an mp3 player work, but although the hardware i guess is fine, it's lack of documentation on the mp3 player side that I cannot figure out.  I cannot find technical documentation anywhere.  So, the mp3 player in question takes an SDCARD, the intent i was hoping, similar to a speech synth on an intellivision where it (from memory) has a fixed vocab, is possible with the mp3 player - basically the CPC can start / stop any audio or music file it feels like but they are pre-stored on the sd card.  A game for example could be provided with optional mp3 files that are loaded onto that card for realistic speech, sound effects and music (of course no mixing) - can mix with CPC audio :D

btw, if anyone can lead me to hardware info on such a device much appreciated
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MP3-Serial-Port-Control-Music-Voice-Module-TF-Card-U-Disk-Card-Reader-File-Name/272225728598?hash=item3f61eaf856:g:xqMAAOSwKfVXIJj3