News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Most common causes for no picture in CPC6128

Started by protek, 11:33, 25 October 12

Previous topic - Next topic

protek

I have a possibility to obtain one or even two CPC6128s. Both machines are apparently in need of a new drive belt and neither is displaying a picture. Both machines appear to power up. I'm not sure whether the machines have a monitor to connect to or are they using a scart cable so I can't rule out a duff monitor but I have asked that from the seller. What are the most common causes in CPC6128 not displaying a picture and are they easy to fix?

Bryce

That all depends on your definition of "not displaying a picture". For me there are three levels:

1) Totally black screen
2) Blank screen but with recognisable border area.
3) Jumbled mess on the screen

Depending on which one you get, the causes can be completely different.

1) Probably a power problem or a broken Z80.
2) Dodgy CRTC or dead RAM
3) RAM or ROM issue

Bryce.

protek

The seller's exact words were that neither machine does not give a picture signal at all.

Bryce

Difficult to interpret from that statement. You'd really need to have one to know more.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Well in this case I guess the short answer would be, "no, there's no 'replace belt' type of answer".

protek

Have to wait and see, what the seller replies about the monitors. I don't personally have a need for another 6128 but, if reasonably priced and possibly easily fixed, I could give them a go and pass them on.

Bryce

If they are going for €10 each, then go for it. But if they are anything close to 30+ then it's a risk.

Bryce.

protek

Wouldn' t probably hurt to ask for a price for one. If anything, I could use it as spare.

MacDeath

>>No picture

What monitor are used ?

If the guy simply plugs the CPC to a modern TV 16/9 giant flat TV at 200hz  through peritel with a hastly soldered cable... not sure this could work.

Also, if on native CP monitors...
Perhaps the guy don't even know where the brightness potentiometer is. ;D

also, even if not working, a CPC6128 can be a nice source of "collector" electronic chips... if you are into hardwares...
The keyboards are also worth it, Disk drives and so on.

Can be all used to upgrade a CPC464 motherboards perhaps, or doing an "Extra AY soundcard" or whatever.

Bryce

The fact that both of them have supposedly identical problems would suggest:

A) He broke both of them by doing the same stupid mistake on both.
B) He doesn't know how to connect / use them properly and they may both work.

So it might be worth going for anyway.

Bryce.

protek

He said that he gets no picture either with the monitor or with scart.