News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Mother X4 tape port board?

Started by ||C|-|E||, 18:37, 16 March 16

Previous topic - Next topic

||C|-|E||

Hello guys!

Today I was talking with Craigsbar, that did that useful mod to add the tape port to the 6128 Plus and he offered me to send some components if he has them around ( :-* ). Then, a few hours later I was thinking a bit more about this and I wondered how difficult would be to make a board for the Mother X4 to add this functionality. I do not know, maybe it is not very interesting because there is a relative small number of 6128 plus around, but I would really buy one of these if they were available. Truth is that by chance I have several of these computers and something like that would be much better than modding all of them!  :laugh:

What do you think?

TFM

Well, the TAPE port gets its data from one pin of the PIO, which is part of the ASIC in case of the Plus. Now question is: Does this connection also end up on the expansion port?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

||C|-|E||

I actually do not know at all  :-X , but I guess that if we can connect the X-MASS it should be possible to connect a tape somehow, although maybe some conversion is needed in the way  :)

gerald

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 19:11, 16 March 16
I actually do not know at all  :-X , but I guess that if we can connect the X-MASS it should be possible to connect a tape somehow, although maybe some conversion is needed in the way  :)
Anything on the MotherX4 would be an "alien" to the FW or games.
So adding a tape port would require to patch the OS and all game using it to use that external tape port instead of the internal one.
Not worth the effort.

||C|-|E||

Wow, definitely if that is the only option it does not seem worth the effort at all  :-X I mean, patching the firmware seems serious enough, but if it is necessary to patch the games as well, then it sounds crazy. 

CraigsBar

;) I will check for parts tonight. I had to order 5 relays and I think I've only used 1 in my 6128 plus and sent 2 kits, so I should have 2 left. Everything else I have multiple spares.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CraigsBar

Before we go looking for an external tape connection can I vote for a amsTos ROM to return tape functionality to fw 3.1x and above.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:59, 16 March 16
;) I will check for parts tonight. I had to order 5 relays and I think I've only used 1 in my 6128 plus and sent 2 kits, so I should have 2 left. Everything else I have multiple spares.
OK, I have everything you need. Resistor, transistor, diode, relay, wire, 8 pin header and connector. Shit no 5 pin din socket! Can you live without that? Or source one locally?

||C|-|E||

CraigsBar

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 00:19, 17 March 16
For sure I can!  :D
OK, I'll package it up and post it Friday, after the paddies day Guinness has been enjoyed to the full tomorrow!

Craig

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

||C|-|E||