News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MP-3 TV tuner

Started by MacDeath, 04:28, 24 January 14

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

hi, I just tried to use my MP-3 and it failed miserably.

at CPCwiki's dedicated page, the link to the service manual with schematics seems to have 404ed...

can anyone help ?

details :
I know I won't recieve TV, because I have no antenna, but I wanted to use it as peritel adapter for other machines.
the tuning potentiometer seems to be useless and I failed to get anything with an Amstrad 6128PLUS with my 6128PLUS peritel cable (homemade).

I tested this cable on a real CRT TV and it worked quite well indeed... just the mode2 texts are quite blurry (ouch) but that is normal IMO.

So anyone with info on this MP-3 ? so I may try to fix it...

Post Edit :
Ok, found the proper link and fixed the page.
[http://www.cpcwiki.eu/manuals/Amendment%20Service%20Manual.zip Amstrad CPC464-6128-GT65-CTM644-MP3-CT1 Amendment Service Manual]

sadly it doesn't seems to be the version with Peritel... anyway will check my hardware soon.

Bryce

What are you getting on the screen when it's all connected and powered as it should be?

Bryce.

ralferoo

Quote from: MacDeath on 04:28, 24 January 14
sadly it doesn't seems to be the version with Peritel... anyway will check my hardware soon.
Assuming by peritel, you just mean the SCART connector.

The MP-3 is designed to convert from broadcast RF TV to RGB suitable for use with the CTM monitor. Obviously, this signal is RGB and can be converted to SCART exactly like a regular CPC->SCART cable.

If you're trying to feed RGB input the MP3 via the SCART socket and hoping that will be converted to the monitor signal then that won't work. On the other hand, you should just be able to use a simple cable for this.

MacDeath

QuoteWhat are you getting on the screen when it's all connected and powered as it should be?
"snow" and a vertical slightly diagonal scrolling of the picture.

Token

I was about to buy one, it was like 10€ on ebay, but I read before that it won't work as expected if I try to use other computer or console.

So it's a RF to RGB scart input? Is it possible to connect a very old console like Intellivision, VCS or pong with the MP-3 (6128 kbps ;) )

I bought a cable for my CTM644-2, I should have it soon.
Amstrad CTM 644 RGB Colour Monitor Scart Adapter Cable | eBay

MacDeath

Some don't have issue to do so, depends about Secam / Pal and so on of course, I guess.

Token

It's just matter of PAL/SECAM? I don't get it with the RF/RGB modulator by the SCART input.
The link for the manual doesn't work here.  :-[

Edit:
MP-3 - CPCWiki

This was NOT an MP3 player by Amstrad :o ;D

dragon

If I remember correctly the french mp-3 with peritel/scart, needs solder four o five wirins in the motherboard to support rbg signal in the scart socket.

Basically connect rgb signals from scart directly in the rgb socket out.

Is in a french page, buy i don't remember the name of the web page now...

Edit: I found it: http://forum.system-cfg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1077

"Relier les broche 1,2,3 RVB aux fiches 7,9,11 de la péritel."

MacDeath

will check this then.

dragon

If work i think is good idea add the modification to the wiki.

ralferoo

That is a total waste of an MP-3 though. All you're using is the 2 connectors (well, and the common ground too).  :o Just build a straight through connector yourself!

Bryce

Quote from: ralferoo on 13:47, 27 January 14
That is a total waste of an MP-3 though. All you're using is the 2 connectors (well, and the common ground too).  :o Just build a straight through connector yourself!

My thoughts exactly!

Bryce.

dragon

Well, the advantaje of use a mp-3 with rgb, is you have sound speaker integrated, yeah is mono, buy you don't need use pc external speakers.They occupy more space, and you have to feed them separately.

Quote from: ralferoo on 13:47, 27 January 14

Quote from: Bryce on 14:13, 27 January 14
My thoughts exactly!

Bryce.

o.k so they connet  Red, Green, Blue to blue, green, and green mass?. Is very strange, but they said it work :S.

Someone understand?

http://www.silicium.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5421

I think Hey confused with the pins, in the picture the soldered points in scart are 15,11,7 red green blue, so is o.k

Munchausen

Quote from: Token on 13:35, 24 January 14
So it's a RF to RGB scart input? Is it possible to connect a very old console like Intellivision, VCS or pong with the MP-3 (6128 kbps ;) )

Yep. I used to use it for years to play megadrive on my CTM644 :D

Token

Cool  ;)
I might found a MP-3 now :P I like that it require only the 12V and mainly that it makes sound... "use less space on the table™" (c)MacDeath  :D

I liked to try my Intellivision then, I wonder how it works when you tune for the RF signal.

dragon

I like one french to :). but practically imposible, french vendors not sell/send to spain :(.

In my pal rf the qualiy is good.

Munchausen

Quote from: Token on 21:11, 27 January 14
Cool  ;)
I might found a MP-3 now :P I like that it require only the 12V and mainly that it makes sound... "use less space on the table™" (c)MacDeath  :D

I liked to try my Intellivision then, I wonder how it works when you tune for the RF signal.

Yeah, actually it never occurred to me that it will be a good way to play old consoles when TVs no longer have RF inputs (which is already happening). Although, it's nice to have one with digital presets, you can get these on ebay IIRC. Or you can always mod the console to bypass the RF modulator and produce composite instead.

MacDeath

well, if sound is important, I then just should do cables for the Amstrad PLUS monitors I have...

Quote"use less space on the table™" (c)MacDeath
I fail to understand... oh wait, ok, nod to my rent about the 6128 being superior to everything :laugh:

Token

Quote from: Munchausen on 13:29, 28 January 14
Or you can always mod the console to bypass the RF modulator and produce composite instead.
Yep, I saw that for the Mattel, so it's seems that basically you have to take the input from the RF which should be the composite. But from this site I feel a bit lost  ???   (edit :I cant put that link, zonadepruebas.org/deepfb/ordenadores/ti99/vc.htm)

I got my cable and tested it. Like they wrote on ebay, it doesn't work with the C64. (I own the PAL and SECAM rose)
My test: It didn't work with the 800XL. PSX 1 and Atari 1040 STe work.
tested on a CTM644-2 english, and ... for the fun, GT64 english, GT65 french. I didn't expect any with the green, but look, real time pencil fx  ;D

Goldrunner ST  :)

Gryzor

Ooh the green!

Thanks, MacDeath, for fixing the link :)

dragon

Three years later. With a very very  Lucky.i win a french mp-3  only for 12e.

Now taking apart the rgb, today someone manufacture a cheap pal/secam converter for composite ?.

I search and search over the web options . And i only found two basic things.

One is these, that appear so expensive big and old wtf.

http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/2438987/Sony-VMC-2102F-Transcodeur-Pal-Secam-SFR-1000K-cordons-Camescope.html

And this homemade  project that was out of my scope manufacture It.

http://kudelsko.free.fr/index.htm

Every time i search Google change secam yo ntsc Magic!

Bryce

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Bryce.

dragon

Connect my nes clone in the best quality possible to the ctm 644.

It have rf and rca, so i want connect It  using rca instead rf.

Thats because the only crt i have left was the amstrad monitor. So is the only site  where i can use the nes clone gun.

Bryce

Why don't you just mod your NES to give it an RGB output and connect it directly to the CTM. That will definitely give you the best result and cost the least.

Bryce.

dragon

I have no idea of how modify my nes clon to RGB :D

Anyway talking about strange and impossible  options.

The pal versión is based in the an5620x chip + an5612

The secam uses a an5630x +an5612. The An5630x have switch to support pal/secam automatically. But i think he need the  an5622 to decode de pal colour between an5612 and an5630x

I really don't know why amstrad made diferent tv turners boards. He can be manufacture easily a pal/secam compatible mp-3.